German Parliamentary Election 2017

Merkel's party lost about 9% of the vote so obviously some people changed their mind. That said I tend to think outsiders overrate the importance of certain issues and downplay the importance of others in national elections. In Germany I wonder if the migrant question was as relevant as non-German WRers think and perhaps something more mundane but more relevant to the average German was the driving factor behind most voters voting the way they did.

"most important problems in Germany" since 2000
red=unemployment rate
black=economy
purple=education
orange=pension
yellow=foreigners,integration,refugees

9_Probleme_1_1.jpeg

The government parties were CDU and SPD, Germany's largest parties. CDU hat the worst result since 1949 and the SPD the worst ever.
The thing is there is no party which has a different opinion on the yellow curve (refugees, migration) and isn't demonized and/or incompetent. The AfD are right-wing nationalists who have a lot of problems with scandals, internal fights, negative press etc and they are a very young party, actually the youngest relevant party, they don't have the network, competence, and donors compared to older and more mainstream parties.
Only 30% of AFD voters voted out of confidence in their party, over 60% out of disagreement with other parties. Yet, they now will have 3rd most seats in the German parliament, they more than doubled their votes and are by far the most right-wing party in a German parliament since WW2. The FDP (~10%) are also somewhat stricter on refugees (emphasize that they have to go back at some point) and opposed to expanding social welfare programs.
I'm not seeing how the results would indicate that Germans don't care about the refugee crisis.

I think a saner right-wing party, clearly to the right of Merkel but without Nazi scandals could do really really well.

red=unemployment rate
black=economy
purple=education
orange=pension

9_Probleme_1_1.jpeg

The government parties were CDU and SPD, Germany's largest parties. CDU hat the worst result since 1949 and the SPD the worst ever.
The thing is there is no party which has a different opinion on the yellow curve (refugees, migration) and isn't demonized and/or incompetent. The AfD are right-wing nationalists who have a lot of problems with scandals, internal fights, negative press etc and they are a very young party, actually the youngest relevant party, they don't have the network, competence, and donors compared to older and more mainstream parties.
Only 30% of AFD voters voted out of confidence in their party, over 60% out of disagreement with other parties. Yet, they now will have 3rd most seats in the German parliament, they more than doubled their votes and are by far the most right-wing party in a German parliament since WW2. The FDP (~10%) are also somewhat stricter on refugees (emphasize that they have to go back at some point) and opposed to expanding social welfare programs.
I'm not seeing how the results would indicate that Germans don't care about the refugee crisis.

I think a saner right-wing party, clearly to the right of Merkel but without Nazi scandals could do really really well.
I was just wondering if Germans had a different view of the election than the outsiders for whom the refugee issue was central but I stand corrected.

I was just wondering if Germans had a different view of the election than the outsiders for whom the refugee issue was central but I stand corrected.
I didn't say you said something wrong.

Or maybe climb in a plane and bomb the shit out of the Brits until they evacuate France in a panic and crawl back on their Island with their tail between their legs ?

Nah, I only get one day off a week. So, a quick Blitzkreig across the Channel. Rape, pillage and burn my way into the centre of Paris. Back home in time for tea and medals:)

I didn't say you said something wrong.
But my suspicion was wrong so I might as well admit it. I was thinking of France when I posted that. From the outside looking in everyone thought the issue was "Muslims!" but in hindsight I wondered if it Macron's labor reforms and his pro-business stance was a lot more helpful than outside observers realized. You were basically the only WRer who framed the French election that way and hey your guy won in the end.

CSU is by far the best party in Germany IMO.

But aren't they kind of hated outside of Bavaria ?

Ye, well Bavaria in general has its own kind of culture as you very well know. Considering that the CSU, rightly, cares about Bavaria mostly it does not help their ratings in other states.

But my suspicion was wrong so I might as well admit it. I was thinking of France when I posted that. From the outside looking in everyone thought the issue was "Muslims!" but in hindsight I wondered if it Macron's labor reforms and his pro-business stance was a lot more helpful than outside observers realized. You were basically the only WRer who framed the French election that way and hey your guy won in the end.
Not too sure about that. I looked at it that way but I kind of doubt that the French did.
The thing is (I'll write about this in your other thread later), those reforms aren't too popular.
A nation can have a "high" unemployment rate (10 overall, 25 youth) and a struggling economy but -obviously- that still means the overwhelming majority of voters has jobs and kind of enjoys the status quo (strong worker protection, social security etc). Same with people employed in the public sector, not exactly an insignificant group in France. In 2004 the civil service workforce was 5.3 million, the workforce in public companies 700k, add defense/military ~0.5 million and some other groups. I'm too lazy to look up more recent figures but I assume the numbers didn't go down. There are 47 million voters in France. And the angry youth ironically votes Front National, so they apparently believe in nationalist protectionism as a job booster. I think the FN simply is too 'Nazi-like' for most Europeans, even more so than the German Afd.

Don't worry guys in the future Germany will attempt to correct this by going full fascist again.

:confused:

He can think for himself. Some of us aren't checking WR as much as we used to.
I've yet to see it, at least in the WR. In the Mayberry he shows excellent film taste though, I'll give him that.
v1.bTsxMTE2MzY1MztqOzE3NTQ0OzEyMDA7NjQwOzk2MA

You always do this sort of post, a non-statement and then you call in reinforcements.

Can you think for yourself for once?

It's my First Amendment rights to freedom of expressing myself.

confederacy.jpg

It's my First Amendment rights to freedom of expressing myself.

confederacy.jpg
You can say what you want and I can judge it however I wish, that's the 1st amendment at work.

Last edited:
AfD coming in 1st in the state of Saxony.

red=unemployment rate
black=economy
purple=education
orange=pension

9_Probleme_1_1.jpeg

I might add to the graph that Germany has a very strong economy and is approaching full employment.
That's properly why the economy and jobs took a dive like this.

Also one thing to consider is that a lot of people in Germany view the refugee crisis from the left angle.
They think Germany should take more refugees and not deport criminals or not deport to certain countries at all. If you look at the green and the far left "Die Linke".
They got 20% together that is more than all the right wing parties.
So you also have a considerable amount of Germans that are unhappy because they think Germany doesn't take in enough.

I might add to the graph that Germany has a very strong economy and is approaching full employment.
That's properly why the economy and jobs took a dive like this.

Also one thing to consider is that a lot of people in Germany view the refugee crisis from the left angle.
They think Germany should take more refugees and not deport criminals or not deport to certain countries at all. If you look at the green and the far left "Die Linke".
They got 20% together that is more than all the right wing parties.
So you also have a considerable amount of Germans that are unhappy because they think Germany doesn't take in enough.
I'm sure people like that exist but I think far-leftist voters mostly care about economic egalitarianism, social justice, 'fairness', high taxes for ze rich and cooperation etc
Even the left's boss (the attractive communist woman) spoke out against Merkel's refugee policies. She echoed right-wing paroles for some time.

Back