Gerald Mcclellan Blinking during Benn Fight

The British broadcast is even tougher to watch than the regular American showtime version.

Yes, we were all caught up in the euphoria of one of the greatest comebacks in boxing history. The British pundits are excused for their enthusiasm.

Yes, we were all caught up in the euphoria of one of the greatest comebacks in boxing history. The British pundits are excused for their enthusiasm.
I think it more had to do with them saying Gerald quit. Or that he was a quitter. There was controversy over that too.

Something else super shady about that fight was Don King. As Gerald was hanging onto life by a thread and being rushed to the hospital with brain damage and his brain bleeding his promoter Don King was laughing, cooning, and wooing Nigel Benn to sign with him. They said King pretty much struck a deal with him before they left the arena. Even some of Nigel's people said it was the most sickening and shameful thing they ever saw.

Just saw this thread. I won't get into what I think of the fight but if any of you guys want to donate to Gerald I can give you Lisa's (his sister who takes care of him)contact info. He can sign "G-man" or some variation of it. I'll make sure she send a video of him doing it. It's a really good cause

Such a tragic boxing story and fight..

Great fight but I think I've only seen it twice.

Depresses the hell out of me

Probably my favourite fight of all time seeing as Nigel Benn was my hero and the reason I took up the sport. Even so I've still only watched it a few times because it is so sad. As stated in another thread McLellan was a potential great and an incredibly under rated fighter. No one over here thought Benn was going to win that fight, even though he was the champ and was as in his manor

I think it more had to do with them saying Gerald quit. Or that he was a quitter. There was controversy over that too.

Something else super shady about that fight was Don King. As Gerald was hanging onto life by a thread and being rushed to the hospital with brain damage and his brain bleeding his promoter Don King was laughing, cooning, and wooing Nigel Benn to sign with him. They said King pretty much struck a deal with him before they left the arena. Even some of Nigel's people said it was the most sickening and shameful thing they ever saw.

He co-promoted it with Warren, So King had made sure he was in a good position to be involved with the winner.

And yes, very shameless of him to fawn all over Benn while McLellan was in distress in the corner.

Probably my favourite fight of all time seeing as Nigel Benn was my hero and the reason I took up the sport. Even so I've still only watched it a few times because it is so sad. As stated in another thread McLellan was a potential great and an incredibly under rated fighter. No one over here thought Benn was going to win that fight, even though he was the champ and was as in his manor

If beforehand everyone knew how much rabbit punching he would be allowed, Everyone would given him a good chance. Mccellen should have full power nut punched Benn two or three times. The ref nor his own corner was going to protect him.

my memory is a bit hazy now,but I'm sure i heard something about gerald doing an exhibition fight with tommy hearns,and there where concerns then that he had a problem. either way,it was a horrible end to a fantastic fight,and i feel for gerald and his family.

I remember that night clearly, as it was firstly brutal then ultimately, tragic. There was suggestions that Gerald had undergone some personality changes in the months after the first JJ fight. The boxer he sparred didn't cover himself in glory either, since he was allegedly concerned that Gerald might have a serious problem & didn't think to say something before the fight. Gerald was brought to Britain,in some stories, specifically to be the one that destroyed Benn, allowing Frank Warren to drop him from his promotions in the future. Benn said publicly that he was told as much in the build up. The scenes at the end of the fight, were equally tear inducing & reprehensible. Still to this day, I can't think about that night without crying (Welling up while typing).

Last edited:
Back