Georges St-Pierre must face UFC contender before shot at Khabib Nurmagomedov - Dana White

@Perrichet @Dirge @ThunderStruck @QcChopper @Sonny Qc

Since GSP can’t cherrypick his way into a LW title fight—who would you guys like to see him face in the top 5 in a number one contender bout?

Poirier? Lee?
Lee is a good friend of GSP.
I don't believe McG would take that fight now.
Doesn't need another L's

after Khabib & Ferg
Poirier & Al are the best, but not big enough "name" imo.

Nate or Pettis I guess.

Eddie Alvarez would have been my pick.
ONEFC fck that one up tho.

I understand that it's all just business, and fight promotion involves a lot of contradictions, but Dana really pisses me off sometimes.

He's such a fucking grifter with this shit. Just impossibly hypocritical at all times.
Conor had to fight Khabib, not Diaz.

And GSP already got the ez MW strap from a joke champ.

GSP fanbois think he has a license to duck WW and Tyron and gets any TS he whines for. And that is a problem. But let anybody else cherry pick like that lmao.

Lesnar can't even pass a test lmfao i dont count him. How many times has he even fought?
Hey, I am just talking about the stats.
4 main event PPV-s:
UFC 91 1.01 mil
UFC 116 1.16 mil
UFC 121 1.21 mil
UFC 141 750k

Lee is a good friend of GSP.
I don't believe McG would take that fight now.
Doesn't need another L's

after Khabib & Ferg
Poirier & Al are the best, but not big enough "name" imo.

Nate or Pettis I guess.

Eddie Alvarez would have been my pick.
ONEFC fck that one up tho.
Nate and Anthony are both coming off losses, why would GSP fight them to earn a shot?

Lee just called out GSP not too long ago. They must not be THAT great of friends.

Lee vs GSP is perfect. Otherwise Poirier.

Conor had to fight Khabib, not Diaz.

And GSP already got the ez MW strap from a joke champ.

GSP fanbois think he has a license to duck WW and Tyron and gets any TS he whines for. And that is a problem. But let anybody else cherry pick like that lmao.
Quiet, you're a known GSP hater. No one cares what you think.

As a GSP fanboy I would like it if he did get the fight. It’s the wrong decision though and Dana is right. There is a lot of legitimate, active contenders at LW including a guy who was also crowned champ. I was alright with him cashing in on his goat status to get the Bisping fight, but that’s like a one time use type of thing. He needs to fight Lee, Conor or Porier to get a shot while Tony and Khabib settle who the real champ is

Yet his prescious Conor can do whatever

He gave GSP a free title shot already against Bisping and then GSP reneged on his word to defend the MW title. Lets not pretend GSP didn't get favorable treatment as well.

Nate and Anthony are both coming off losses, why would GSP fight them to earn a shot?

Lee just called out GSP not too long ago. They must not be THAT great of friends.

Lee vs GSP is perfect. Otherwise Poirier.
GSP already earned that shot.

He only need to prove he can make the weight.

In For Lee btw.

Conor’s most recent PPV (229) did literally triple the numbers of GSP’s most recent (217), no shit he’s gonna get special treatment
Conor gets special treatment for two reasons, one because of the idea you presented, dude makes money. Second, because he needs the special treatment...he doesn't earn it. If he did, it wouldn't be special treatment.

Dana doesn't want to give GSP the next title shot against Khabib because he wants to give it to Conor when Tony deserves it.

Tony vs. Khabib
GSP vs. Conor, winner gets next title shot.

makes perfect sense. If gsp is serious about wanting to take down khabib and he can actually make 155, he should have to take out a kevin lee or someone like that first while khabib fights tony. Heck do gsp vs connor, make a fuck ton of money and set up who gets next title shot that way

Im ok with the conor thing for money bc it makes sense but lol at suggesting Lee face GSP. You do realize he has a limited # of fights in his career right? And you want him to face Kevin Lee?

VZ8lkOs.jpg

If two-weight UFC champion Georges St-Pierre wishes to challenge Khabib Nurmagomedov for an unprecedented third title, he'll need to go through a contender first.

That's according to UFC president Dana White, who says the promotion has no interest in booking St-Pierre (26-2), arguably the greatest fighter of all time, against its undefeated 155-pound champion -- despite recent comments by St-Pierre.

"How does Georges St-Pierre jump over all the guys fighting in that division to face Khabib?" White told ESPN. "Just because all of a sudden he wants to come out and fight this guy -- he doesn't get to do that. If Georges St-Pierre is serious, listen, I'll give you a fight with one of these guys in the top five. If you win, you'll be in position for a title shot.

"We don't even know if Georges St-Pierre can make 155 pounds. You know what I mean?"

Read More: http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...e-face-ufc-contender-shot-khabib-nurmagomedov
I think another factor here might be this :
Dana wants to put on McGregor vs Nate Diaz III BEFORE Georges St. Pierre vs Khabib. (if he ever even does that fight at all).

He doesn't want any chance of GSP becoming a 3-weight champion BEFORE he gives Conor the opportunity to do exactly that. Which I think has already been agreed with McGregor.

So reading Dana's comment just confirms to me it's Conor vs Diaz as the next McG fight.

cool

conor vs gsp makes sense $$$ wise then next

"How does Georges St-Pierre jump over all the guys fighting in that division to face Khabib?" White told ESPN. "Just because all of a sudden he wants to come out and fight this guy -- he doesn't get to do that. If Georges St-Pierre is serious, listen, I'll give you a fight with one of these guys in the top five. If you win, you'll be in position for a title shot.

"We don't even know if Georges St-Pierre can make 155 pounds. You know what I mean?"

Read More: http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...e-face-ufc-contender-shot-khabib-nurmagomedov

I love how Dana change his shit in 5 seconds.
Why didn't he apply this very logic on GSP at MW?
The fucker held up a division for a fucking year and just run after that!

Well... at least better late than never, but I don't really believe his crap until Georges get a fight against Tony, Dustin, Lee or Barboza.

makes perfect sense. If gsp is serious about wanting to take down khabib and he can actually make 155, he should have to take out a kevin lee or someone like that first while khabib fights tony. Heck do gsp vs connor, make a fuck ton of money and set up who gets next title shot that way
That makes the most sense from a money standpoint. UFC gets two guaranteed money fights this way. And GSP gets to earn his title shot against the most favorable and most lucrative match up possible.

But that's exactly what you let him do at Middleweight - Avoid all the actual contenders and grant him a direct title shot. You let Conor do the same thing at Lightweight as well... Twice.

It's a far compromise. They already gave him Micheal Bisping. It would look bad to give a guy a back to back instant title shot in two different divisions.

IMO if It was up to me I wouldn't be giving GSP a crack at the 155 title knowing he isn't going to defend.

I think it's hilarious that DW tries to fling shit in GSP's direction. They gave the GSP the MW shot at Bisping... it was the UFC's choice and they made the fight. I don't think the UFC gives two flying fairy farts about what they look like anymore, it's purely a numbers and sales game now.

I'm torn on this issue, because I really like Ferguson, and he's certainly paid his dues and has legitimately earned everything he's going for. That being said, giving GSP the next shot at Khabib isn't really fucking up a lot of shit and if anything, presents the UFC with an opportunity to get what they want with less backlash from the fans and media. The Khabib/Tony fight has fallen through on multiple occasions, and for as much as I would like to see it, I'm less that confident it materializes.

Conor sells PPV's, no doubt about it. He's received special treatment in the past, and he was already gifted a LW title shot he didn't necessarily earn. After beating Alvarez, he immediately went on hiatus, and chased a money fight outside the sport, creating a mess with the 155lb title.

Between failed fights, interim championships, injuries and outside factors, the LW title had been on a virtual merry-go-round. Khabib finishing Conor finally righted the ship, and was the beginning of getting the house back in order.

This is just Dana's way of trying to maximize sales at someone else's expense. "Fight this guy, and if you win, you can fight Khabib." If the UFC doesn't want to get their shit together, then GSP should just wait it out and let the Khabib vs. Tony fight go down. I don't think a GSP/Ferguson fight will appeal to the casuals as much as a GSP/Khabib fight, but that's just my opinion.

Everyone knows GSP has one fight left, and he wants to make history. So let him make history. Khabib's already talking about fighting Tony and walking off into the sunset undefeated, so making GSP face someone else first also risks a Khabib/GSP fight ever coming to fruition. GSP wants to be the first to win 3 different titles, and Khabib wants to retire undefeated. Either way, a Khabib/GSP fight has significance the UFC can capitalize on and creates good options for afterwards.

Option 1 - GSP fights Khabib and wins, vacates and never fights again... he makes history, the Kingpin is at least done with dealing with GSP, the UFC makes a boatload of money (without needing Conor), the LW title goes back up for grabs and now you have Khabib vs. Tony for the open title. Tony vs. Conor while GSP fights Khabib would also be awesome and more big numbers for the UFC. The McGregor/Diaz rubber match is also an option. That's 3 or 4 good selling PPV's right there.

Khabib wins... he solidifies his legacy and retires undefeated on a high note, GSP losing should satisfy the baldfather, the UFC makes a boatload of money (without needing Conor), the LW title goes back up for grabs, and you have Tony vs. Conor (or Diaz, etc), and might very well present the only scenario where GSP continues to fight. Again, that's (at least) 3 good selling PPV's.

VZ8lkOs.jpg

If two-weight UFC champion Georges St-Pierre wishes to challenge Khabib Nurmagomedov for an unprecedented third title, he'll need to go through a contender first.

That's according to UFC president Dana White, who says the promotion has no interest in booking St-Pierre (26-2), arguably the greatest fighter of all time, against its undefeated 155-pound champion -- despite recent comments by St-Pierre.

GSP vs Lee (assuming he wins) would be a good scrap. I doubt GSP takes that fight though.

GSP vs Kevin Lee - Iaquinta winner for the shot.

Back