George Lockhart: "If you lift, you need carbs. If you jog, you need fats"

quantiqus

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Is this broscience?
Is there actual evidence to support this?

its all fucking brosciecence. just eat right and workout. all diets are fads. only thing that works to lose weight is caloric restriction. Only diet that reverses heart disease is the Vegan Diet.

everything else is bs. take advice from Medical doctors, not bros

its all fucking brosciecence. just eat right and workout. all diets are fads. only thing that works to lose weight is caloric restriction. Only diet that reverses heart disease is the Vegan Diet.

Medical doctors... weren't they telling us as recently as 15 years ago that the majority of our diet should be pasta and bread? Their advice is often outdated and ignorant.

I have psoriatic arthritis and met with 5 different doctors whose only solution was to prescribe expensive pharmaceuticals with horrible side effects. I had to do my own research to discover AIP diet and I've been symptom free ever since.

Doctors can't charge me or my insurance ridiculous amounts for a simple diet change though so why would they recommend that? Fuckers..

Is this broscience?
Is there actual evidence to support this?

High intensity exercise uses mostly carbs as a fuel source.
Low intensity exercise uses mostly fatty acids as a fuel source.

This is a real thing.

There is research out there you can view to verify.

High intensity exercise uses mostly carbs as a fuel source.
Low intensity exercise uses mostly fatty acids as a fuel source.

This is a real thing.

There is research out there you can view to verify.

I will verify

I believe he said this also in another interview

"Let’s say that I burned 1,000 calories while jogging, versus burning 1,000 calories while lifting heavy weight. Lifting heavy weights is more anaerobic, meaning without oxygen, so your body is going to burn more carbohydrates in that 1,000 calories. If they’re jogging they’ll burn more fat. Now, we want to replace carbohydrates during the regular fight camp, but we don’t want to replace the fat. Based on the formulas we have about their lean body mass and the metabolic equivalent, we know how many calories the individual burned and what percentage of those calories was carbohydrates. If an individual holds 400g of carbohydrates in their muscles, and the workout they performed burned 200g of carbohydrates, they still have 200g of carbohydrates to burn in their muscles. That allows us to target anaerobic workouts until their body has used up the glycogen in their muscles. At that point we stop doing anything anaerobic. Instead we do more aerobic exercise to burn more fat. (George Lockhart)"

I will verify

I believe he said this also in another interview

"Let’s say that I burned 1,000 calories while jogging, versus burning 1,000 calories while lifting heavy weight. Lifting heavy weights is more anaerobic, meaning without oxygen, so your body is going to burn more carbohydrates in that 1,000 calories. If they’re jogging they’ll burn more fat. Now, we want to replace carbohydrates during the regular fight camp, but we don’t want to replace the fat. Based on the formulas we have about their lean body mass and the metabolic equivalent, we know how many calories the individual burned and what percentage of those calories was carbohydrates. If an individual holds 400g of carbohydrates in their muscles, and the workout they performed burned 200g of carbohydrates, they still have 200g of carbohydrates to burn in their muscles. That allows us to target anaerobic workouts until their body has used up the glycogen in their muscles. At that point we stop doing anything anaerobic. Instead we do more aerobic exercise to burn more fat. (George Lockhart)"

Lifting weights is more anaerobic, it falls largely into the ATP PC energy pathway. Jogging, aerobic, would fall largely into the Krebs Cycle.

RER (Respiratory Exchange Ratio) is the ratio of CO2 produced in metabolism and oxygen used.

Without getting too scientific, as that would take quite a while for me to attempt to breakdown all of the concepts, RER is related to intensity of exercise. A resting RER would be about .8, and it can exceed 1.0 as the intensity increases.

A low RER (light intensity) would use primarily fat as a fuel source. A moderate RER (moderate intensity) would use a mix of both fat, and carbs. A high RER (high intensity) would use carbs as the primary fuel source.

If you placed a VO2max test style mask on a subject while they were lifting weights their RER would probably be over 1.0 which is using carbs as the primary fuel source. For one jogging, granted he is not reaching exhaustion or nervous, it would be closer to .8 which would be using fats.

As far as burning calories, high intensity will burn more calories. This is what ultimately determines weight loss or weight gain, the relationship between calorie intake v calorie output.

However, low intensity activities such as sleeping even burn fat. Jogging would be a low intensity activity depending on the percentage of your maximum heart rate. This is why when people jog they say they trim fat, especially around the waistline.

There are a lot of people saying things that may or may not be accurate online. They may even be saying the right thing but not using the right terms, or they understand the general overview but are lacking on important specifics. It can really get lengthy in explanation, this is why people get degrees in this sort of thing.

When looking online look up labs, studies, and scholarly articles.

at times idk who to trust i come here for advice but when random guys on the internet are trying to say the best guys on the planet at this are completely wrong it makes me second guess going online tbh people here use to dis joel jaimson too now George lockhart

at times idk who to trust i come here for advice but when random guys on the internet are trying to say the best guys on the planet at this are completely wrong it makes me second guess going online tbh people here use to dis joel jaimson too now George lockhart

I come across this problem so much myself. There is so much conflicting information. lol You may not be in the exact same boat as me but this is what I've noticed:

A guy may have great practical application of methods but not have a technical understanding of those methods.

I go to guys online for practical application. I sit in on lectures or read studies done by guys with letters following their names for the technical understanding.

The funny thing is it's hard to get both. Meat heads sometimes don't have the science down. The pencil pushers sometimes can't perform the athletics. Being good in a tank top, and being good in a lab coat both have value.

One guy I watch that I've liked so far who seems to have both is Jeff Cavaliere. If you haven't heard of him, check out his YT channel for some great content. Link below:

(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0TLA0EsQbE-MjuHXevj2A)

well obviously guys like lockh
I come across this problem so much myself. There is so much conflicting information. lol You may not be in the exact same boat as me but this is what I've noticed:

A guy may have great practical application of methods but not have a technical understanding of those methods.

I go to guys online for practical application. I sit in on lectures or read studies done by guys with letters following their names for the technical understanding.

The funny thing is it's hard to get both. Meat heads sometimes don't have the science down. The pencil pushers sometimes can't perform the athletics. Being good in a tank top, and being good in a lab coat both have value.

One guy I watch that I've liked so far who seems to have both is Jeff Cavaliere. If you haven't heard of him, check out his YT channel for some great content. Link below:

(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0TLA0EsQbE-MjuHXevj2A)
lockhart are very good at getting guys on weight or guys would not pay him for there big weight cuts all fighter already know how to cut 20 pounds in a week they all did it before they got to ufc when they hit ufc they now can afford to hire guys like him so since guys are still hiring a guy like him when they already know how to basically cut shows hes really good at what he does vs someone online.

anyone can post online and criticize white belts argue and disrespect bjj black belts lol im just gonna eat healthy and do what i do already cause sick of getting on bang wagons here then info "changes"

dieting is quite basic for an athlete on hard training days ill eta more carbs and on days i dont train as hard i wont lol i your training hard and knowing your calories and eating healthy foods it isnt that complicated

he really hated the chocolate milk fad that been around past 5 years tbh i dislike the way it makes me feel after i love milk but fucks my stomach up id feel better with a good fruit smoothie with berries

well obviously guys like lockh

lockhart are very good at getting guys on weight or guys would not pay him for there big weight cuts all fighter already know how to cut 20 pounds in a week they all did it before they got to ufc when they hit ufc they now can afford to hire guys like him so since guys are still hiring a guy like him when they already know how to basically cut shows hes really good at what he does vs someone online.

anyone can post online and criticize white belts argue and disrespect bjj black belts lol im just gonna eat healthy and do what i do already cause sick of getting on bang wagons here then info "changes"

True. You have to earn mostly no credentials to post online. I like looking at the research, and lab studies myself. I hear what people outside of sports say like the medical personnel, doctors, advanced degree holders, and the like. Then I'll see what the sports professionals are doing.

If what they're doing is correct, then it should be backed somewhere in science or research. The problem you run into sometimes is that you'll get results but how they got there was potentially dangerous to the athlete. This is where you see nasty weight cuts, PEDs, etc.

Taking the quote posted from the video it sounds like it would be backed by research. High intensity activity (lifting) does use carbs for energy. Light intensity (jogging depending on max HR%) does use fatty acids for energy.

If it were me I would go to a RD or nutritionist for my information. I think a lot of fighters want to keep their people in camp but there is nothing wrong with outside consultation. Fighters aren't removed from science. The body and its functions are going to be what they're going to be. If the nutritionist is telling you the same thing, then hey you're golden. lol

True. You have to earn mostly no credentials to post online. I like looking at the research, and lab studies myself. I hear what people outside of sports say like the medical personnel, doctors, advanced degree holders, and the like. Then I'll see what the sports professionals are doing.

If what they're doing is correct, then it should be backed somewhere in science or research. The problem you run into sometimes is that you'll get results but how they got there was potentially dangerous to the athlete. This is where you see nasty weight cuts, PEDs, etc.

Taking the quote posted from the video it sounds like it would be backed by research. High intensity activity (lifting) does use carbs for energy. Light intensity (jogging depending on max HR%) does use fatty acids for energy.

If it were me I would go to a RD or nutritionist for my information. I think a lot of fighters want to keep their people in camp but there is nothing wrong with outside consultation. Fighters aren't removed from science. The body and its functions are going to be what they're going to be. If the nutritionist is telling you the same thing, then hey you're golden. lol

yeah fight weight cutting has so many methods is scary someguys say to only do 1.5 gallons the last week. some say to down 3 gallons a day for a week till the final week to get use to cutting that much weight cutting is so dangerous that someone giving you the wrong info could kill you.

fighters have died from it and they need to agree on how much water should be done. gsp apparently doesnt drink much water during his final week of cutting. iv always drank 3 gallons a day the last week till my last 3 days. id cut back to 1 to then half a gallon ect not sure which is better tbh its all bro science. how come nobody has done a single study to see what amount is best to cut more?

yeah fight weight cutting has so many methods is scary someguys say to only do 1.5 gallons the last week. some say to down 3 gallons a day for a week till the final week to get use to cutting that much weight cutting is so dangerous that someone giving you the wrong info could kill you.

fighters have died from it and they need to agree on how much water should be done. gsp apparently doesnt drink much water during his final week of cutting. iv always drank 3 gallons a day the last week till my last 3 days. id cut back to 1 to then half a gallon ect not sure which is better tbh its all bro science. how come nobody has done a single study to see what amount is best to cut more?

If there hasn't been one done already you should contact a university local to you and pitch the suggestion. They may be able to tell you, there are probably many factors they'll consider and questions they'll ask. They may bite at the idea bro. You could go down in history, and add to research that may not be there. They can compare test subjects and give them different amounts of water and see which produces the best results in regards to weight cuts. I'd say call them up, and see what they say. lol

im sure if nobody has done it yet its cause no one wants to touch this.. mma weight cutting is very dangerous and its a technique that fighters really need to have down perfectly not only to make sure we perform to our bets but to make sure we dont die of organ failure lol

i wonder how i should explain it to them to get them interested if its even possible as most people dont realize whatw eight cutting even is

Insulin plays in, not just caloric restriction but about vegan diet healing heart diseases...well, prefer to die.

All diets are fads but the vegan one works? Which one is it???

I wouldn't take advice from a medical doctor on my diet......;)

So calorie restriction is the only thing that works??? Is that a diet??? But all diets are fads??

im sure if nobody has done it yet its cause no one wants to touch this.. mma weight cutting is very dangerous and its a technique that fighters really need to have down perfectly not only to make sure we perform to our bets but to make sure we dont die of organ failure lol

i wonder how i should explain it to them to get them interested if its even possible as most people dont realize whatw eight cutting even is

If you're talking about presenting the idea to the researchers at a university I'm sure you'll be fine. At the university level you'll be dealing with reputable people. The bigger the university the more funding.

They do assist the athletes at their college so I'm sure they can help with finding answers if you're interested. The body is going to be the body no matter what context you put it in. There will be principles that apply universally.

The thing I think is a problem as of now is that MMA is not a scholastic sport nor is it in the Olympics. The studies, and research will go to those athletes as the priority (football players, basketball players, runners, wrestlers, etc) because it is in their interest that they win representing the schools or the country.

If you're interested I would give it a try. Call the university. Look up who is in charge of the exercise physiology department, or nutrition department. These are most times, if not always, PhD holders. I would present the idea to them, and maybe they'll have some grad students who would like to hop on board and do the study. If for some reason they don't have an interest in conducting the study then ask questions. If they aren't answering them, I'd contact the wrestling team and speak to the coach. They weight cut in their sport, as you know.

Good luck to you. I'd be interested in knowing what you come up with.

Some months ago, Aberdeen university tested more or less all known diets known on lab rats and it turned out that the cause for fat gain is really just fat intake. It's that easy

https://neurosciencenews.com/fat-consumption-weight-gain-9573/

Unsurprisingly, no one really cared about it and there was basically no coverage at all at the usual sites. The study was pretty top-notch, the only criticism about it was that it was done on rats, not humans (but we're not really at the point where we can put humans in a lab for years while torturing them with bullshit diets, or are we??).

Back