George Leeman Be Like: “Powerlifting Is Stupid”

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
can’t post a link but it’s on his YT channel. Basically regrets taking roids and training like a maniac, says there’s more important things in life.

I don’t take life advice from those who are independently wealthy because every one of them all of a sudden has words of wisdom once they’re no longer hungry or trying to earn a living. George is now a budding real estate dude with tons of cash from coaching and investments his father left him. But I think he’s spot on here. However, if he hadn’t done the roids or trained like a maniac, he wouldn’t have the cash from coaching to put into real estate. He says in the video that in powerlifting no one cares if you’re the second or third best but this is false. He no longer holds the record for the deadlift afaik but he’s still got a good amount of clients. As long as you make a name, even for a short while, it seems people will seek you out for coaching.

Anyway just want your opinions on the subject and video.

So without watching the video my opinion is that he absolutely did not say "powerlifting is stupid" it anything else along those lines.

LoL, this made me laugh.
6sAIX5.gif

can’t post a link but it’s on his YT channel. Basically regrets taking roids and training like a maniac, says there’s more important things in life..

I did watch his video and it was interesting to hear what he had to say. I can definitely see where he is coming from, however that's why I believe in being realistic with your training and having a back up plan such as having a college degree. That being said, I'm also a big believer in what Charles Bukoski said which was, "Find what you love and let it kill you".

Honestly, I think Leeman is just a lost and confused dude.

Didn't he suddenly leave the country immediately after his ex said he hit her? And then have a bunch of creepy videos with cambodian massage places?

Didn't he suddenly leave the country immediately after his ex said he hit her? And then have a bunch of creepy videos with cambodian massage places?

Jeese. I had never heard of this guy and found his speech pretty inspirational and then I read this. Total 180 haha

I think PLers in general take themselves way too seriously. Maybe it's why there's such a hipster culture around it. These guys are trying so hard to be noticed. Very few people (like practically zero) who can break out into the lower echelons of mainstream athletic acknowledgement.

I think PLers in general take themselves way too seriously. Maybe it's why there's such a hipster culture around it. These guys are trying so hard to be noticed. Very few people (like practically zero) who can break out into the lower echelons of mainstream athletic acknowledgement.

It's basically an inflated sense of importance. Someone like Leeman giving life advice is just strange to me.

All that said, his assistance exercises and cues for DL are pretty dope.

Leeman has always seemed a bit "off". I remember him popping up on an old, old Hulse vid. I don't think he's all there.

It's basically an inflated sense of importance. Someone like Leeman giving life advice is just strange to me.

Great way to describe it.

When I go to meets, I'm often surprised at how absolutely dialed in a lot of these athletes are. Like they're all going to go pro. This is the most important thing in my life right now! Nothing matters except my fucking socks, my ammonia capsules, and this pull right here!

I sometimes wonder if it's that totally impractical enthusiasm that drew me to the sport in the first place. The idea that no one gives a shit about this but me and my little crew in knee sleeves around their ankles, and I'm going to go into this thing as loud and as proud as possible.

I give it a hard time but in the end I do have fun. I do like the people (generally) and I do take it somewhat seriously especially when it's my meet or when I'm helping others run theirs. But yes, some of these guys giving life lessons is a bit misguided.

Last edited:
Back