George Foreman impressed with Mcgregor & says it could be fight of the year

brian

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://www.boxingscene.com/george-foreman-mcgregor-hurt-mayweather-ref-saved-him--120188

He says that the media should apologise for their coverage & says the fight could be fight of the year:

“Well, for the first time, I think all of the media should apologize for all the negative things that was said about the fight. It's going to be hard to top it. It could have been the fight of the year.”

On his surprise at McGregor’s skills:

“Not only did he surprise Floyd Mayweather, he surprised me and a whole host of experts. Because McGregor hit Mayweather often. His [Mayweather’s] defence didn't even work against Conor. He had to come out and fight like an old boxing slugger - like George Foreman or something,” he laughed.

Explains why he was impressed with McGregor going 10 rounds – says even he couldn’t go the distance sometimes, referencing ‘Rumble in the Jungle’:

“This was my first exposure to him as a boxer. We'd seen some occasions where he'd gone in as an MMA fighter, which was pretty impressive, but I had no idea that he'd be able to carry a boxing match. The hardest thing in the world is to go 12 rounds in a boxing match. Didn't you remember about George Foreman going for the rope-a-dope? I couldn't even go for 7 rounds, 8 rounds, once. This guy went on even further. He could have done 12 rounds, but he just got tired.”

Speaks on McGregor’s power, his comments after he was asked if he was impressed with his power. Says the referee saved Mayweather in the 8th:

“Yes, I was, as a matter of fact the referee protected Mayweather in one of the last rounds. Conor hurt him. He had him hurt, and was going for the finish, and the referee stepped in for no reason at all and stopped it. It was a vicious body punch. Conor had him with a good body shot and the referee saved him, but that's typical of a boxing match.”

On if he’s interested in watching him box again – says that he now believes an MMA fighter can compete in boxing if groomed properly:

“What I was interested in seeing, I saw. That a fighter from MMA, if he's groomed properly, can cross over to championship boxing. He did it. He didn't better. I went home and bought the fight in two locations, and it was the first time that I bought fights that I was content satisfied with. It was a good fight. Very good. It was worth my money.”

Comments on if boxing fans will now follow McGregor in his MMA career:

“Well, McGregor, he's a celebrity now. He's a top draw. He's everything you want from an athlete. Wherever he goes now, the fans are going to follow him. They tuned in for Conor McGregor. Nobody tuned in for Mayweather. They turned in to see if he could do it, and he showed us something. I'm shocked. To go that many rounds with a world class boxer in boxing. His hands were tired because he couldn't use any of his tactics from MMA, yet he still did a good job.”

His thoughts on GGG vs. Canelo – likes the fight, but says May-Mac is tough to follow:

“Oh, yeah, that's another good fight. But, I'm telling you, it's going to be a tough call to try come behind Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather. That's a tough one to follow. It's a tough show.”

Comments on whether boxing promoters will now be chasing McGregor to get him back into boxing:

“If you want some money, you gotta find Conor McGregor,” he laughed. “That's for sure. If you're satisfied with your pay, stay where you are, but if you really want a raise you better find Conor McGregor.”

On his advice for McGregor, and other fighters, for life outside of the sport:

“He’s in a class by himself. I'm a boxer. I can speak for Mayweather because I've been where he's been and back. McGregor, he's been where Floyd Mayweather, George Foreman, and everyone else has gone and come back. Now, this guy's in a class for himself. He can advise young fighters, young MMA fighters, young boxers. He can advise them now. He's an expert."

That's cool...Now lets say what a not brain dead modern boxer says.

A stronger/younger boxer would've finished Conor in 5 rounds or less.

These are the truest words I ever heard.

The other guy was also saying that Canelo will finish him in 4 rounds...Canelo said "not even that much", so I guess Canelo thinks he can beat em in 2 or 3 rounds lol.

Last edited:
I think George has been concentrating too much on those grills.

Canelo suffers from cognitive dissonance... he was fooled by Floyd in the ring and fooled by his BS all through and after the fight.. Foreman knows the truth.. he's no sucker.

That's cool...Now lets say what a not brain dead modern boxer says.

A stronger/younger boxer would've finished Conor in 5 rounds or less.

These are the truest words I ever heard.

The other guy was also saying that Canelo will finish him in 4 rounds...Canelo said "not even that much", so I guess Canelo thinks he can beat em in 2 or 3 rounds lol.

Canelo is threatened and talking shite. He knows Conor is already a better boxer. Foreman is unbiased.

The last people you want to ask about the MayMac fight are the people involved with Golovkin vs Canelo and HBO Boxing in general.
MayMac was put close to the date of Golovkin vs Canelo on purpose, that's why De La Hoya and everyone involved is so pissed off.
Golovkin was very complimentary of Conor a year ago, now he made a 180.

I think George has been concentrating too much on those grills.

that's why his opinion is credible

unlike the rest of these broke bitches who are jealous of Conor and Floyd, especially Canelo's cuck ass you can see the bitterness in his eyes whenever he talks about that fight

someone probably paid him to say those things. it would beat hustling grills. no surprise its for some irish talk show

unlike the rest of these broke bitches who are jealous of Conor and Floyd, especially Canelo's cuck ass you can see the bitterness in his eyes whenever he talks about that fight

canelo is jelly? he looks the same for me ... but yeah, you are prob. right
{<jordan}

Nice interview. I think Foreman shares the opinion of 99.9 percent of people that watched the fight - that Conor did a great job, that Floyd is really amazing, and that it was highly entertaining with big credits due to both fighters and both sports. Good stuff.

Unfortunately it is the 0.1% of fans that populate the darker corners of the internet. "Conor was winning and would have had him except he gassed!" "Floyd embarrassed Conor, that was a terrible fight!" And so on.

Conor did a wonderful job with the tools he had. At the end of the day he is inexperienced and has a cardio problem though. Not something you want fighting TBE.

Foreman is right though. Boxing and their insecure fanbase like to act like all MMA is boxing's castouts and they could beat them all easily. While some of them with the proper training could cross over, it still as mentioned...takes a certain person with certain training. The same can be said for MMA fighters moving to boxing.

That's becoming more evident than ever now with a lot of athletes choosing MMA over boxing with the rise of Conor. He may of not beaten Floyd to do it, but with Floyd retired there is a new King of Vegas. A new king of combat sports, and everyone wants to be like him, and soon enough...there will be people like him and even better.

Canelo is threatened and talking shite. He knows Conor is already a better boxer. Foreman is unbiased.

Foreman is from an era when fancy footwork made you a good boxer. A boxer, a legend but from a completely different era.

Conor did a wonderful job with the tools he had. At the end of the day he is inexperienced and has a cardio problem though. Not something you want fighting TBE.

Foreman is right though. Boxing and their insecure fanbase like to act like all MMA is boxing's castouts and they could beat them all easily. While some of them with the proper training could cross over, it still as mentioned...takes a certain person with certain training. The same can be said for MMA fighters moving to boxing.

That's becoming more evident than ever now with a lot of athletes choosing MMA over boxing with the rise of Conor. He may of not beaten Floyd to do it, but with Floyd retired there is a new King of Vegas. A new king of combat sports, and everyone wants to be like him, and soon enough...there will be people like him and even better.

Long post. Six words.

Conor did shit. Deal with it.

Greatness recognizes greatness. Incredible testament from one of the GOAT boxers to the best combat sports athlete of our time.

http://www.boxingscene.com/george-foreman-mcgregor-hurt-mayweather-ref-saved-him--120188

He says that the media should apologise for their coverage & says the fight could be fight of the year:

“Well, for the first time, I think all of the media should apologize for all the negative things that was said about the fight. It's going to be hard to top it. It could have been the fight of the year.”

On his surprise at McGregor’s skills:

“Not only did he surprise Floyd Mayweather, he surprised me and a whole host of experts. Because McGregor hit Mayweather often. His [Mayweather’s] defence didn't even work against Conor. He had to come out and fight like an old boxing slugger - like George Foreman or something,” he laughed.

Explains why he was impressed with McGregor going 10 rounds – says even he couldn’t go the distance sometimes, referencing ‘Rumble in the Jungle’:

“This was my first exposure to him as a boxer. We'd seen some occasions where he'd gone in as an MMA fighter, which was pretty impressive, but I had no idea that he'd be able to carry a boxing match. The hardest thing in the world is to go 12 rounds in a boxing match. Didn't you remember about George Foreman going for the rope-a-dope? I couldn't even go for 7 rounds, 8 rounds, once. This guy went on even further. He could have done 12 rounds, but he just got tired.”

Speaks on McGregor’s power, his comments after he was asked if he was impressed with his power. Says the referee saved Mayweather in the 8th:

“Yes, I was, as a matter of fact the referee protected Mayweather in one of the last rounds. Conor hurt him. He had him hurt, and was going for the finish, and the referee stepped in for no reason at all and stopped it. It was a vicious body punch. Conor had him with a good body shot and the referee saved him, but that's typical of a boxing match.”

On if he’s interested in watching him box again – says that he now believes an MMA fighter can compete in boxing if groomed properly:

“What I was interested in seeing, I saw. That a fighter from MMA, if he's groomed properly, can cross over to championship boxing. He did it. He didn't better. I went home and bought the fight in two locations, and it was the first time that I bought fights that I was content satisfied with. It was a good fight. Very good. It was worth my money.”

Comments on if boxing fans will now follow McGregor in his MMA career:

“Well, McGregor, he's a celebrity now. He's a top draw. He's everything you want from an athlete. Wherever he goes now, the fans are going to follow him. They tuned in for Conor McGregor. Nobody tuned in for Mayweather. They turned in to see if he could do it, and he showed us something. I'm shocked. To go that many rounds with a world class boxer in boxing. His hands were tired because he couldn't use any of his tactics from MMA, yet he still did a good job.”

His thoughts on GGG vs. Canelo – likes the fight, but says May-Mac is tough to follow:

“Oh, yeah, that's another good fight. But, I'm telling you, it's going to be a tough call to try come behind Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather. That's a tough one to follow. It's a tough show.”

Comments on whether boxing promoters will now be chasing McGregor to get him back into boxing:

“If you want some money, you gotta find Conor McGregor,” he laughed. “That's for sure. If you're satisfied with your pay, stay where you are, but if you really want a raise you better find Conor McGregor.”

On his advice for McGregor, and other fighters, for life outside of the sport:

“He’s in a class by himself. I'm a boxer. I can speak for Mayweather because I've been where he's been and back. McGregor, he's been where Floyd Mayweather, George Foreman, and everyone else has gone and come back. Now, this guy's in a class for himself. He can advise young fighters, young MMA fighters, young boxers. He can advise them now. He's an expert."
Fine words but talk is cheap. Go watch clips of Forman boxing and see if there is any resemblance to Conor's performance. Maybe he was trying to make the Conor fans feel better??

George Foreman is on an interview tour spouting horseshit probably selling snake oil.

If you've watched Foreman commentate over the years, you'd know outlandish statements were part of the norm for big George.

I don't think he's brain damaged, but his fight perception was always way off.

If you've watched Foreman commentate over the years, you'd know outlandish statements were part of the norm for big George.

I don't think he's brain damaged, but his fight perception was always way off.

He's either slightly mad, or a bit backward. I mean he actually said in all seriousness when Grant was knocked down by Lewis, "HE BROKE HIS LEGS!".

Nothing he says can be taken seriously.

I don't think being broke has anything to do with pointing out McGregor is the type of boxer that is used to pad prospects records.

NfP18J.gif

Back