Genuinely sad for Maia

You haven’t followed his career huh

I have. He just seemed to want to improve his stand up to a certain extent. He never developed it enough to be an actual true threat on the feet. It just sucks to see that if he can't take the top guys down, it's an absolute that he's going to lose the fight. I think had he dedicated to developing his striking to the next level a few years back, he very likely stops an Usman standing.

I don't. He's a nice guy and I like him but that's how the business works. He just relied too much into his BJJ and ignored everything else. Everyone knows his game.

Usually when a fighter starts showing their age the way Maia is they end up leaving the sport off the back of a string of KO losses

So tbh I'll be pretty happy if Maia gets out with these decision losses where he isn't taking a massive amount of damage

lol never feel "sad" for a certified playboi

I have. He just seemed to want to improve his stand up to a certain extent. He never developed it enough to be an actual true threat on the feet. It just sucks to see that if he can't take the top guys down, it's an absolute that he's going to lose the fight. I think had he dedicated to developing his striking to the next level a few years back, he very likely stops an Usman standing.
I mean he did that for a while and it cost him some wins. He decided to weaponsize his ground more and his hands became a tool to get him there. I think given his skill set this is the best way to employ

Sub-par against who, exactly?

Because he is still taking down elite level guys.
Elite wrestlers aside, anybody with good single leg takedown defense. Anderson Silva was the first to completely expose him. Rory stopped 20 Out of 22 takedown attempts. Masvidal's wrestling is average and he stopped most of his takedowns too.

Like Maia but his last 3 fights were god awful.

Not looking foward to see him so soon to be honest.

I like him, but time to retire, he had an amazing career.

Maia is boring. He could throw spinning shit and head kicks without worrying about being taken down. But he doesn't.

Back