Genuinely sad for Maia

CalvilloRay

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
not that I was a huge Maia fan, but seeing a guy as nice as him basically just be a benchmark for “who did it better” between three boring ass fights.

Tyron, Colby, and Usman all using Maia as a “I beat him worse than you did” thing

Well, in all fairness, he has taken a couple of fights in recent times with almost no camp, so he was already coming in at a disadvantage.

But the guy is 40 years old now, too. He really has nothing left to prove, since a title shot is likely unobtainable at this point.

To be fair he's partly to blame, guys are terrified to take him down or play the ground game with him for obvious reasons, if he'd just spent the past few years working on either pure wrestling so he could implement his game, or have a stand up game that made keeping it on the feet dangerous he could have been a champ, I feel he stopped evolving a long time ago therefore I don't feel sorry for him, he just realised his place.

Maia had a great run. Respect. Feel he should retire at this point.

He's past his prime. Not only because of his age but also because he obviously doesn't have the spirit anymore. Maia wasn't always that clueless in there against guys with good takedown defense. Prime Maia was tenacious and creative in that regard. It looks as if he's just riding out his career to make the money he can still get out of it. Sure it's not the best for his legacy and especially not for his fans, but let's be honest, how many MMA legends go out on top? The sport just doesn't work that way.

He can take solace in the fact non of them would even be competitive by the time they're 40yrs old.

He looked like he was having fun and saved a main event.

not that I was a huge Maia fan, but seeing a guy as nice as him basically just be a benchmark for “who did it better” between three boring ass fights.

Tyron, Colby, and Usman all using Maia as a “I beat him worse than you did” thing
It’s the same thing with Maia....jab, jab....attempt telegraphed takedowns till he gets tired....no more please.

Guy is 40. He is fighting to finish the contract and retire.

To be fair he's partly to blame, guys are terrified to take him down or play the ground game with him for obvious reasons, if he'd just spent the past few years working on either pure wrestling so he could implement his game, or have a stand up game that made keeping it on the feet dangerous he could have been a champ, I feel he stopped evolving a long time ago therefore I don't feel sorry for him, he just realised his place.

You are delusional if you think Maia doesn't work his wrestling and striking like crazy. Some people will just never be good strikers

Well, in all fairness, he has taken a couple of fights in recent times with almost no camp, so he was already coming in at a disadvantage.

But the guy is 40 years old now, too. He really has nothing left to prove, since a title shot is likely unobtainable at this point.

He had a hell of a run. I’d like to see Maia vs Cowboy after Cowboys next fight win or lose.

It's pretty sad that given his complete dependence on a ground attack that he didn't substantially up his wrestling game so he could implement it.

This is not a rare thing among BJJ practitioners. They just won't embrace the wrestling grind.

It's pretty sad that given his complete dependence on a ground attack that he didn't substantially up his wrestling game so he could implement it.

This is not a rare thing among BJJ practitioners. They just won't embrace the wrestling grind.

Take a look at his evolution over the past 10 years. His single leg is sick and damn effective. It just isn't effective against the best wrestlers in the world. And considering that, when you listen to the expert's camps, they all say they train to stop his single leg. And even then he has a few other takedowns - remember Chael?

The guy is a world BJJ champion who *DID* implement a wrestling game. He just didn't get started on it at 10 years old. But don't think, even for a minute he isn't out there every fucking day drilling his wrestling.

FFS - GDI GTFO of Maia threads and never come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
He never really tried to become a true MMA fighter. It's embarrassing watching him resort to just trying to spam takedown after takedown with no real setup because he never tried to take boxing or leg kicks to the appropriate level. Had he at least really tried to go the Werdum route he'd have become much more formidable imo.

He never really tried to become a true MMA fighter. It's embarrassing watching him resort to just trying to spam takedown after takedown with no real setup because he never tried to take boxing or leg kicks to the appropriate level. Had he at least really tried to go the Werdum route he'd have become much more formidable imo.
You haven’t followed his career huh

Back