Gennady Golovkin vs. Jermall Charlo.

I know I'm gonna get lynched for this but here goes:

I dunno, anyone that comes at Golovkin never wins. I think people balls deep in Charlo are getting ahead of themselves.

To the credit of sherdoggers (in subforum 53 anyways), maybe not other boxing communities, only Seano is picking Charlo and he didn't even seem confident. I agree with pretty much all of what you said.

One factor tho, as Seano mentioned is the age. Charlo is young and strong, and GGG only getting older.

edit: I actually thing GGG looked good Saturday. Vanes is really quick, so a little awkward that first round, but then he beat the shit out of him lol. Physically, GGG looked in good condition, and looked even a little thicker than normal (but in a good way). I feel he put on a couple pounds in the upper body and torso to deal with Canelo better. Not the best way to train if you fighting a smaller, fast dude like Vanes

To the credit of sherdoggers (in subforum 53 anyways), maybe not other boxing communities, only Seano is picking Charlo and he didn't even seem confident. I agree with pretty much all of what you said.

One factor tho, as Seano mentioned is the age. Charlo is young and strong, and GGG only getting older.

edit: I actually thing GGG looked good Saturday. Vanes is really quick, so a little awkward that first round, but then he beat the shit out of him lol. Physically, GGG looked in good condition, and looked even a little thicker than normal (but in a good way). I feel he put on a couple pounds in the upper body and torso to deal with Canelo better. Not the best way to train if you fighting a smaller, fast dude like Vanes

Yup. Age is the biggest x-factor from here on out. When is enough, enough? Some guys suddenly lose their chins, and other guys start losing that ability to let their hands go. Age is a funny thing. It casts the greatest shroud of doubt on GGG whenever I see him fight now.

Yup. Age is the biggest x-factor from here on out. When is enough, enough? Some guys suddenly lose their chins, and other guys start losing that ability to let their hands go. Age is a funny thing. It casts the greatest shroud of doubt on GGG whenever I see him fight now.

yea, no doubt. And not just age, even tho he started his pro career later on, and hasn't taken that much damage inside the pro ring... he has been boxing his whole life, with 350 ammy fights, sparring that whole time, living in 2nd/3rd world conditions early on.

I feel a benefit for him tho is that he is still hungry to get as much money as he can for his family. So he still motivated to train like a madman, which I think was evident leading up to the rematch and how solid he looked in the ring on Saturday. One reason fighters break down after their early thirties is the let go a little bit. Drink and eat a little more in the off season, workout less in the off season, and then training camp is more about losing weight, rather than fighting smart and hard.

I like Charlo but I still think he loses to golovkin as if right now. I’d pick Danny over him as well and that is a better fight imo

Is this something you've known for a while, or was the recent Golovkin win something that adjusted your opinion (not that the opponent was the best or at his best)?

God I hope Jacobs fights Charlo. That's a fight I really would like to see.

Known for a while. I've watched the twins grow up. That's how I know that they're not thugs. It's an act. The reason Jermall got his deal was because he was sitting next to myself and Marcus Watson when Danny was sparring Omar Henry. I told Marcus that he could fight and the rest is history.

Anyways, GGG was always wrong for him. He'll put his back against the ropes and knock him out. Jermall can't hurt him. He doesn't punch hard enough.

It's coming. I set up the sparring here when Vic was still alive. Danny knows everything about him and kicked his ass during sparring

yea, no doubt. And not just age, even tho he started his pro career later on, and hasn't taken that much damage inside the pro ring... he has been boxing his whole life, with 350 ammy fights, sparring that whole time, living in 2nd/3rd world conditions early on.

I feel a benefit for him tho is that he is still hungry to get as much money as he can for his family. So he still motivated to train like a madman, which I think was evident leading up to the rematch and how solid he looked in the ring on Saturday. One reason fighters break down after their early thirties is the let go a little bit. Drink and eat a little more in the off season, workout less in the off season, and then training camp is more about losing weight, rather than fighting smart and hard.

He definitely takes nothing for granted so he's never out of shape, and he stays fit, and doesn't take huge beatings. Hopkins stayed active in between fights and that contributed to his longevity, but he doesn't train the way Golovkin does, due to the nature of his fighting style. I think he stays disciplined and, as such, is physically and mentally, pretty dialed in. He doesn't become an uneven quantity, like Roberto Duran who could go from Leonard I to Leonard II and look completely different. Golovkin is consistent, and that keeps him relevant.

Edit: also, a lot of his power comes from his technique, training, and accuracy, so that will stay with him. It's not like Pacquiao's who lost his power when he lost his speed.

I got Charlo by massive beating and stoppage, GGG finally runs into a fighter on his level or above and he just can't bully Charlo like GGG does to everyone else except Canelo, who isn't a true middle weight.

I picked GGG to beat Jacobs, because of Danny"s chin problems and i knew Jacobs would be extremely gun shy and if he finally opened up on GGG, he would get knocked out and in their rematch this will happen, book it.

Charlo will be hitting GGG with every punch and GGG will be trusting his chin to much this time, just like every fight he's in and letting Charlo just hit him with no head movement, but this time GGG gets hurt badly, goes into safe mode and beats his chest, while Charlo just teas off on him and puts GGG down.

This fight goes down like Canelo vs GGG but with Charlo not running out of gas and Charlo actually baking up GGG and controlling the fight and hurting GGG badly.

Charlo wins by late rounds corner stoppage, or ref stoppage and then everyone will debate how good was GGG and everyone will say Hagler would've knocked GGG out.

But some people will just say GGG was past prime, while GGG continues to fight and destroyers everyone else and talks rematch but retires and his fans will claim bad training camp, low blows, or injuries he had in a previous fight, and this is why Charlo beat him, but we have all heard these excuses before and will again.

Most of us expects Charlo to actually beat GGG it's just how bad Charlo destroys him, or is it going to be a close discussion, or wide win for Charlo, but bad scorecards.

Look everyone knows GGG can punch and is very dangerous, but he's no boogieman like everyone thinks, against everyone, and we all found this out with Ali vs Foreman and ward vs Kovalev and Chavez vs Randall, common ordinary chimed fighters or champions with good chins, but great defense, that are on that champions level, beats these so called boogeyman unstoppable fighters.

Floyd showed us against Canelo, but Charlo will just do to GGG what he's doing to everybody else.

We will see this again with Charlo vs GGG.

I got Charlo by massive beating and stoppage, GGG finally runs into a fighter on his level or above and he just can't bully Charlo like GGG does to everyone else except Canelo, who isn't a true middle weight.

I picked GGG to beat Jacobs, because of Danny"s chin problems and i knew Jacobs would be extremely gun shy and if he finally opened up on GGG, he would get knocked out and in their rematch this will happen, book it.

Charlo will be hitting GGG with every punch and GGG will be trusting his chin to much this time, just like every fight he's in and letting Charlo just hit him with no head movement, but this time GGG gets hurt badly, goes into safe mode and beats his chest, while Charlo just teas off on him and puts GGG down.

This fight goes down like Canelo vs GGG but with Charlo not running out of gas and Charlo actually baking up GGG and controlling the fight and hurting GGG badly.

Charlo wins by late rounds corner stoppage, or ref stoppage and then everyone will debate how good was GGG and everyone will say Hagler would've knocked GGG out.

But some people will just say GGG was past prime, while GGG continues to fight and destroyers everyone else and talks rematch but retires and his fans will claim bad training camp, low blows, or injuries he had in a previous fight, and this is why Charlo beat him, but we have all heard these excuses before and will again.

Most of us expects Charlo to actually beat GGG it's just how bad Charlo destroys him, or is it going to be a close discussion, or wide win for Charlo, but bad scorecards.
<Dany07>

Known for a while. I've watched the twins grow up. That's how I know that they're not thugs. It's an act.
honestly, even from their behavior on screen, they don't like thugs, they just seem kinda goofy and hotheaded. They aren't the kinds of guys I'd be worried about mugging me, just roasting me lol.

honestly, even from their behavior on screen, they don't like thugs, they just seem kinda goofy and hotheaded. They aren't the kinds of guys I'd be worried about mugging me, just roasting me lol.

They're good kids

Charlo isn't some flat footer Brandon Rios type fighter. This isn't David Lemieux.

Charlo isn't some flat footer Brandon Rios type fighter. This isn't David Lemieux.

I agree, which is why I said I could see it happening. At the same time, he is no Floyd either. Jacobs, who I feel is bigger and stronger than Charlo. He isn't flat footed, coming forward like Lemi, and he couldn't do it.

But my main thing is I simply don't know enough about either Charlo. I didn't really pay them much mind until Jermall KOed Jrock. Even in the fight before, vs Trout, I thought Jermall looked only average. Someone who would be a titlist, but not a dominant champ.

I don't know how you can be confident in picking a guy who has never faced elite competition. The only guy with a pulse is Trout and he won a 7-5 type fight.

Charlo is going to be the same as Francis Ngannou. A guy who looked like a monster against meh competition, then loses when he faces the top guy. Then those same people will go onto say "well he never beat anyone great anyway, he was green".

People said Lemieux could KO Golovkin. Believe it or not, people said Brook would outbox Golovkin. And people said Danny Jacobs could stop Golovkin. It's the same shit over and over. Golovkin isn't losing a fight until he starts to show true aging.

I don't know how you can be confident in picking a guy who has never faced elite competition. The only guy with a pulse is Trout and he won a 7-5 type fight.

Charlo is going to be the same as Francis Ngannou. A guy who looked like a monster against meh competition, then loses when he faces the top guy. Then those same people will go onto say "well he never beat anyone great anyway, he was green".

People said Lemieux could KO Golovkin. Believe it or not, people said Brook would outbox Golovkin. And people said Danny Jacobs could stop Golovkin. It's the same shit over and over. Golovkin isn't losing a fight until he starts to show true aging.
Because Golovkin has been less and less effective in recent big fights (vanes doesn't count). I've watched a lot of boxing over the years and you can see the signs of a guy kind of losing a few steps. Just my opinion. I think Golovkin probably loses the next time he fights someone young and athletic.

Known for a while. I've watched the twins grow up. That's how I know that they're not thugs. It's an act. The reason Jermall got his deal was because he was sitting next to myself and Marcus Watson when Danny was sparring Omar Henry. I told Marcus that he could fight and the rest is history.

Anyways, GGG was always wrong for him. He'll put his back against the ropes and knock him out. Jermall can't hurt him. He doesn't punch hard enough.

It's coming. I set up the sparring here when Vic was still alive. Danny knows everything about him and kicked his ass during sparring

Side question related to GGG. Being around your people and/or hearing rumors, do you know if Floyd ever seriously entertained the idea of fighting GGG? I seem to remember about 2 years ago, when Canelo was seemingly ducking G, Floyd had mentioned it after the Berto fight.

Because Golovkin has been less and less effective in recent big fights (vanes doesn't count). I've watched a lot of boxing over the years and you can see the signs of a guy kind of losing a few steps. Just my opinion. I think Golovkin probably loses the next time he fights someone young and athletic.

For whatever it's worth, the last 2 guys he faced were the best fighters he faced. The boxing world thought he soundly beat Canelo, who was on PEDs btw. He also beat Danny Jacobs who is viewed as an elite MW. Personally, I think Jacobs beats any MW aside from Golovkin.

I agree he isn't in his full prime, but he is still the top guy.

Back