Gennady Golovkin vs. Jermall Charlo.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Charlo puts his undefeated record on the line against Golovkin. Someone's 0 must go.

Who wins?

I think Charlo. Golovkin is nearing the end of his run.

I think Charlo. Golovkin is nearing the end of his run.

I can see it. Charlo got a bit more of a mean streak in him than Jacobs. Jacobs could have won if he had just a little more of that.

I've been on the Charlo bandwagon for a while now and give him a good shot. On the other hand Golovkin is way better than anyone he has fought and still looks very good so I have to favour him. It would be an intense fight though.

Golovkin would KHTFO. I would love to see that one though.

I can see it. Charlo got a bit more of a mean streak in him than Jacobs. Jacobs could have won if he had just a little more of that.

Maybe, it's a definite possibility. But when guys show a mean streak against GGG, they get knocked out. The only guys that GGG did not knock out (Canelo and Jacobs) exchanged at times, but for the most part tried to win by boxing and stealing rounds.

That's what makes GGG such a tough opponent. He's very busy, so it's hard to steal rounds on points, and if you turn up the heat you're likely to get hurt in the process.

A few years ago I'd have said GGG with some difficulty but clearly. Now, I think it's Charlo.

Maybe, it's a definite possibility. But when guys show a mean streak against GGG, they get knocked out. The only guys that GGG did not knock out (Canelo and Jacobs) exchanged at times, but for the most part tried to win by boxing and stealing rounds.

That's what makes GGG such a tough opponent. He's very busy, so it's hard to steal rounds on points, and if you turn up the heat you're likely to get hurt in the process.

I agree with you, and would pick G myself. I would personally still pick G over Jacobs and Canelo as well.

Just curious, as I can't remember, but does anyone recall Charlo being hurt? I haven't followed them as closely until the J Rock fight. I used to think they would fizzle out like the Dirrell bros. But they turning me around.

I don't really like the Charlo bro's attitude.. But I think someone like Jacobs needs a little more of that in him. Andre Ward is someone I feel has just enough of that mean streak in him to make him more effective . But not to much.

I agree with you, and would pick G myself. I would personally still pick G over Jacobs and Canelo as well.

Just curious, as I can't remember, but does anyone recall Charlo being hurt? I haven't followed them as closely until the J Rock fight. I used to think they would fizzle out like the Dirrell bros. But they turning me around.

I don't really like the Charlo bro's attitude.. But I think someone like Jacobs needs a little more of that in him. Andre Ward is someone I feel has just enough of that mean streak in him to make him more effective . But not to much.

I was late to the party when it comes to Charlo. I have seen his last 3 or 4 fights, but that is pretty much it. I don't recall him being hurt in the fights that I saw though.

I was late to the party when it comes to Charlo. I have seen his last 3 or 4 fights, but that is pretty much it. I don't recall him being hurt in the fights that I saw though.

So that is still a big question mark.

I also see GGG taking Charlos shots MUCH better than anyone he has faced before. That could throw Charlo off quite a bit as well.

Its going to take an extremely high work rate and an iron chin to out fight Golovkin. I dont know Charlo can pull that off. Im less confident in his out boxing Golovkin to a decision.

It would be one hell of a fight though.

Maybe I'm blind or just like Golovkin too much but I don't see anything Charlo can do to beat Golovkin right now.

He's getting there and obviously Golovkin is aging but if that's the next fight I see Golovkin hurting Charlo and possibly stopping him

I know I'm gonna get lynched for this but here goes:

I dunno, anyone that comes at Golovkin never wins. I think people balls deep in Charlo are getting ahead of themselves. His wins at 160 are against pretty low level guys. Even people that are criticizing every time GGG breathes will have to admit that. Also, Charlo gets hit pretty easy for someone being touted as some skilled boxer, but has only been matched against a couple of good punchers, and if they could punch, that's about as far as they went. They've been (I'm conflating the two Charlos now because they look the same and have the same name) the beneficiaries of some good matchmaking. Williams and Trout are his best wins but Trout was past it after two tough losses he never got that form back.

Charlo can punch, he's got a steady (but one) rhythm jab, his fundamentals are alright, and he is younger and at his peak. It's really that last part that means most. But he gets outworked, and he doesn't have elite generalship that he'd need against GGG. He is limited on the inside (and doesn't hit as hard there - his best punches are the three Wlad used), he gets turned easy and becomes reactive, and only really get things going when his guy sits right in front of him not varying his method. Some say that GGG might be tailor made because GGG comes at him, and perhaps that's true, but Charlo is not on GGG's level in every category except age. The punch selection and control of distance and ring cutting would be too much for him at once. The smarter jab, wrought in he forges of supreme amateur programs is in Golovkin's back pocket. Charlo hasn't been in there at the champ level for as long. Feints and punch selection frustrate him, and he doesn't feint enough either to be honest. Another thing Charlo gets caught by is when someone chases his punches back. The body is there as well as the head when that happens. Fighters get infrequent with heir success against Charlo, they don't try because he can punch, but when they've done it on those certain occasions, Charlo doesn't have a defensive followup, so he gets tagged. This is HUGE! Charlo opponents take note. He sometimes compensates with a little hop back if his opponent comes in but that's predictable too. He's pretty robotic. He has some nice set ups like the Williams KO but Williams kept doing the same thing and offered that up. Credit to him for the win. I really like Julian Williams, but he gave up a pattern for Charlo and let him time to think. Meanwhile, Charlo is just as easy to set traps for if you don't let him process and think. I'd bet money that's his kryptonite. This is also a huge consideration when you game plan against Charlo. Golovkin would exhaust him mentally wih the hair-trigger use of distance, ring cutting, jabbing, and pressure with the accompanying punch variety. Charlo wouldn't be able to compute; he'd just react. When a fighter reacts he makes mistakes or he gets inactive. Charlo's work rate can be low at times, too, and he'd lose rounds to a fighter with the stamina and ring IQ to exploit that (or even just the ring IQ, which Canelo has). He also will get frustrated when his opponent doesn't wilt or play his game. He is a bit entitled, and entitled fighters need things to go there way.

Can I also say that Charlo has gone only a couple rounds in a couple years. He fights maybe twice a year and hasn't gone the distance against a true master since........I don't know when. That's worh considering.

Also, we've seen Golovkin shrug of cannonball punches. This fight might not come down to the better power, but the better chin and stamina.

I honestly think Jacobs can outmove and outwork him, but that's another story.

Could he win? Sure. Golovkin is 36 and suddenly Charlo is callig him out. Will he beat GGG? I'm not surprised by much these days, but I won't bet on a guy that got a gifted spot as a mandatory by beating a one-legger, and a guy like Centeno who moves awkwardly (and not in a good way). I simply don't see what he has that Golovkin hasn't seen before, and Charlo will fade when pushed back by someone with no fear. He'll either get tired or frustrated. He'll give up enough rounds and not know which spots to do what to eke out the round when the pressure is on him constantly. He has never seen such constant, unremitting pressure at the level.

Of course this is all easy for me to see and say, because I'm not in there. But I won't be and don't have to be: a high level champ that tied Bhop's record would be in there, if this does play out.

Edit: for spelling, I typed this up on the verge of sleep. Sorry!

Last edited:

I dunno, anyone that comes at Golovkin never wins. I think people balls deep in Charlo are getting ahead of themselves. His wins at 160 are against pretty low level guys. Even people that are criticizing every time GGG breathes will have to admit that. Also, Charlo gets hit pretty easy for someone being touted as some skilled boxer, but has only been matched against a couple of good punchers, and if they could punch, that's about as far as they went. They've been (I'm conflating the two Charlos now because they look the same and have the same name) the beneficiaries of some good matchmaking. Williams and Trout are his best wins but Trout was past it after two tough losses he never got that form back.

Charlo can punch, he's got a steady (but one) rhythm jab, his fundamentals are alright, and he is younger and at his peak. It's really that last part that means most. But he gets outworked, and he doesn't have elite generalship that he'd need against GGG. He is limited on the inside (and doesn't hit as hard there - his best punches are the three Wlad used), he gets turned easy and becomes reactive, and only really get things going when his guy sits right in front of him not varying his method. Some say that GGG might be tailor made because GGG comes at him, and perhaps that's true, but Charlo is not on GGG's level in every category except age. The punch selection and control of distance and ring cutting would be too much for him at once. The smarter jab, wrought in he forges of supreme amateur programs is in Golovkin's back pocket. Charlo hasn't been in there at the champ level for as long. Feints and punch selection frustrate him, and he doesn't feint enough either to be honest. Another thing Charlo gets caught by is when someone chases his punches back. The body is there as well as the head when that happens. Fighters get infrequent with heir success against Charlo, they don't try because he can punch, but when they've done it on those certain occasions, Charlo doesn't have a defensive followup, so he gets tagged. This is HUGE! Charlo opponent's take note. He sometimes compensates with a little hop back if his opponent comes in but that's predictable too. He's pretty robotic. He has some nice set ups like the Williams KO but Williams kept doing the same thing and offered that up. Credit to him for the win. I really like Julian Williams, but he gave up a pattern for Charlo and let him time to think. Meanwhile, Charlo is just as easy to set traps for if you don't let him process and think. I'd bet money that's his kryptonite. This is also a huge consideration when you gameplan against Charlo. Golovkin would exhaust him mentally wih the hairtrigger use of distance, ring cutting, jabbing, and pressure with thr punch variety. Charlo wouldn't be able to compute. He'd just react. When a fighter reacts he makes mistakes or he gets inactive. Charlo's workrate can be low at times, too, and he'd lose rounds to a fighter with the stamina and ring IQ to exploit that (or even just the ring IQ, which Canelo has). He also will get frustrated when his opponent doesn't wilt or play his game. He is a bit entitled, and entitled fighters need things to go there way.

Can I also say that Charlo has gone only a couple rounds in a couple years. He fights maybe twice a year and hasn't gone the distance against a true master since........I don't know when. That's worh considering.

Also, we've seen Golovkin shrug of cannonball punches. This fight might not come down to the better power, but the better chin and stamina.

Could he win? Sure. Golovkin is 36 and suddenly Charlo is callig him out. Will he beat GGG? I'm not surprised by much these days, but I won't bet on a guy that got a gifted spot as a mandatory by beating a one-legger, and a guy like Centeno would moves awkwardly (and not in a good way). I simply don't see what he has that Golovkin hasn't seen before, and Charlo will fade when pushed back by someone with no fear. He'll either get tired or frustrated. He'll give up enough rounds and not know which spots to do what to eke out the round when the pressure is on him constantly. He has never seen such constant, unremitting pressure at the level.

Of course this is all easy for me to see and say, because I'm not in there. But I won't be and don't have to be: a high level champ that tied Bhop's record would be in there, if this does play out.
I’m not sure I agree with everything here, but damn that’s an impressive breakdown.

^^^That said, I think the Charlos are the real deal, but would still favor GGG slightly at this point. Everyday that goes by though... the scales tip towards Charlo as GGG isn’t getting any younger.

Charlo can punch, he's got a steady (but one) rhythm jab, his fundamentals are alright, and he is younger and at his peak. It's really that last part that means most. But he gets outworked, and he doesn't have elite generalship that he'd need against GGG. He is limited on the inside (and doesn't hit as hard there - his best punches are the three Wlad used), he gets turned easy and becomes reactive, and only really get things going when his guy sits right in front of him not varying his method. Some say that GGG might be tailor made because GGG comes at him, and perhaps that's true, but Charlo is not on GGG's level in every category except age. The punch selection and control of distance and ring cutting would be too much for him at once. The smarter jab, wrought in he forges of supreme amateur programs is in Golovkin's back pocket. Charlo hasn't been in there at the champ level for as long. Feints and punch selection frustrate him, and he doesn't feint enough either to be honest. Another thing Charlo gets caught by is when someone chases his punches back. The body is there as well as the head when that happens. Fighters get infrequent with heir success against Charlo, they don't try because he can punch, but when they've done it on those certain occasions, Charlo doesn't have a defensive followup, so he gets tagged. This is HUGE! Charlo opponent's take note. He sometimes compensates with a little hop back if his opponent comes in but that's predictable too. He's pretty robotic. He has some nice set ups like the Williams KO but Williams kept doing the same thing and offered that up. Credit to him for the win. I really like Julian Williams, but he gave up a pattern for Charlo and let him time to think. Meanwhile, Charlo is just as easy to set traps for if you don't let him process and think. I'd bet money that's his kryptonite. This is also a huge consideration when you gameplan against Charlo. Golovkin would exhaust him mentally wih the hairtrigger use of distance, ring cutting, jabbing, and pressure with thr punch variety. Charlo wouldn't be able to compute. He'd just react. When a fighter reacts he makes mistakes or he gets inactive. Charlo's workrate can be low at times, too, and he'd lose rounds to a fighter with the stamina and ring IQ to exploit that (or even just the ring IQ, which Canelo has). He also will get frustrated when his opponent doesn't wilt or play his game. He is a bit entitled, and entitled fighters need things to go there way.

Could he win? Sure. Golovkin is 36 and suddenly Charlo is callig him out. Will he beat GGG? I'm not surprised by much these days, but I won't bet on a guy that got a gifted spot as a mandatory by beating a one-legger, and a guy like Centeno would moves awkwardly (and not in a good way). I simply don't see what he has that Golovkin hasn't seen before, and Charlo will fade when pushed back by someone with no fear. He'll either get tired or frustrated. He'll give up enough rounds and not know which spots to do what to eke out the round when the pressure is on him constantly. He has never seen such constant, unremitting pressure at the level.

I agree. I believe in the G.
tumblr_lpxgiv56wQ1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Jermall gets murdered. I hate to say it but it's a fact.

Just give us a rematch. Please lol

golovkin two years ago fucks him up something fierce.

now? difficult to say, i think he's going to look old any day now, and charlo is only getting better.

Jermall gets murdered. I hate to say it but it's a fact.

Is this something you've known for a while, or was the recent Golovkin win something that adjusted your opinion (not that the opponent was the best or at his best)?

God I hope Jacobs fights Charlo. That's a fight I really would like to see.

Back