General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - May, 2017

Also who is Alex Enlund? He never fought in the UFC and yet...the UFC just cut him.

14-2 former cage warriors featherweight champion, was scheduled to fight on UFC Hamburg but pulled out due to an MRI scan. Turns out he has a minor tumour or smth like that, but apparently he's had it since birth, his Facebook page explains it if you want to find out more.

Ohmbet has a bettable "Twitter fight" Garbrandt -1249 vs Matthew Kline Kader +1200. Did a fan challenge him?

Erm...I think if you knew the saga you wouldn't say that. Santos is a joke.

1. First fight happened, April 2015. Eyepoke no contest.
  2. ONE tried to make the rematch. Santos turned down June and July dates citing his eye.
  3. Santos turned down a September date for unknown reason.
  4. At the same time he was turning down the rematch, Santos was asking for a fight in Titan FC. Askren has a screenshot verifying this.
  5. The rematch was rescheduled for November:
  • Fight was scheduled at 170.
  • Santos weighed in at 174.5
  • Santos was given unlimited time to make 170, but only got down to 172.
  • ONE/Askren/Santos worked out a deal whereby the fight would proceed as a non-title affair if Santos could weigh in at 185 lbs. at 1PM on fight day. All sides agreed.
  • Santos later decided he could not stay below 185, so the Askren side offered to raise the limit to 190. Santos side accepted the new offer.
  • On morning of fight day, Askren and his team watched Santos eat a 90 minute breakfast with juice and multiple plates of food.
  • A few hours later, Santos's team decided to take Santos to the hospital without informing ONE. Santos was requesting an IV.
  • (According to Askren) all of Santos's tests came back normal and the doctor determined no IV was needed.
  • The second weigh-in occurred at 1 PM and Santos weighed 193.5.
  • Santos was given another opportunity to make the weight. He refused to try.
  • ONE President Victor Cui scrapped the fight
ONE has had a really hard time finding opponents for Askren. Everyone is terrified to fight him. Askren wants to fight 4x a year minimum but he's not even coming close. You can see why he would be reluctant to sign up to fight a bum like Santos, all the training and buildup while risking the fight falling through again.

Awesome info. If I'm not mistaken there first fight was pretty close and I think a few thought Askren was losing?

I understand money plays a role in it but if you're Askren and you truly believe you're the best why wouldn't you want in the UFC. If you're the best you'll undoubtedly make the most money there. Just never understood it and have always wanted to see him fight the big dogs since I've been watching him since he wrestled in college.

Awesome info. If I'm not mistaken there first fight was pretty close and I think a few thought Askren was losing?

I understand money plays a role in it but if you're Askren and you truly believe you're the best why wouldn't you want in the UFC. If you're the best you'll undoubtedly make the most money there. Just never understood it and have always wanted to see him fight the big dogs since I've been watching him since he wrestled in college.
I dont think its Askren. UFC didn't even offer him a contract when Bellator let him go and I have a feeling that Dana doesn't like him for all the shit he's been talking over the years lol.

-Roy Nelson off to Bellator
-GSP apparently having some eye injury that keeps him off sparring untill September

The first fight lasted all of what, 90 seconds? Santos was having success early, but unlikely he would have beaten Askren in my opinion.

As Mulder said, the story is that Askren wasn't even offered a UFC contract. Askren has been talking shit about Uncle Dana for a long time, and the UFC dreads the possibility of having a champion with Askren's style (Woodley is bad enough).

Also, he's making 6 figures per fight in ONE FC.

The first fight lasted all of what, 90 seconds? Santos was having success early, but unlikely he would have beaten Askren in my opinion.

As Mulder said, the story is that Askren wasn't even offered a UFC contract. Askren has been talking shit about Uncle Dana for a long time, and the UFC dreads the possibility of having a champion with Askren's style (Woodley is bad enough).

Also, he's making 6 figures per fight in ONE FC.

I didn't know the last part I just want to see him fight more and better comp from a fan perspective.

I didn't know the last part I just want to see him fight more and better comp from a fan perspective.
Me too. I would actually prefer to see him in the UFC because he's a clean fighter and a lot of this ONE opponents are clearly roided.

He still has 4 fights left on his ONE contract though, and he has talked about retirement.

Don't know why, but one of my favorite things is seeing pros beat on cocky dudes who think they can fight. Hope Cody's back is healed up for this, and that it actually happens.

Apparently the bodybuilder is trying to fight Buchholz too

struve/volkov is a terrible main event.

Yup. KSW does 50 000 peeps stadium show and UFC answers with this? I was really hoping for some better Europe cards now...

It has been years since Vera gave anyone a beat down like this. Granted, it was verbal, but still.

Hendricks ML 1,40 against Boetsch looks like a gift to me.
I might put 5 units on that, but not just yet

Dunno about a gift but i think the price is ok i don't see tim having much joy here especially with jonny's granite chin.

Back