General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - January, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's my guess but my guesses are usually as good as gospel :)

No way Weidman is the dog. Moose always fails when he faces the elite of the elite so he'll be the dog I think. He's one of my favorite fighters and imo he is gonna jab Weidman to a decision. The moose is loose, he coming for that belt.

it's my guess but my guesses are usually as good as gospel :)

No way Weidman is the dog. Moose always fails when he faces the elite of the elite so he'll be the dog I think. He's one of my favorite fighters and imo he is gonna jab Weidman to a decision. The moose is loose, he coming for that belt.
Fair enough but I agree w @HeDucking about him being a dog. Moose has had a ton of favorable match ups since his loss to Jacare. Weidmans injuries and all that worry me but he was beating Luke til that brain fart and beating Yoel til he went all superman on him. I'd prob be on Weidman huge if he's a dog

Fair enough but I agree w @HeDucking about him being a dog. Moose has had a ton of favorable match ups since his loss to Jacare. Weidmans injuries and all that worry me but he was beating Luke til that brain fart and beating Yoel til he went all superman on him. I'd prob be on Weidman huge if he's a dog

I favour Moose 60-40 imo. A little closer to 65-35 but im keeping it conservative. Im not sure Weidman is the right place mentally after two tough TKO losses to some beasts after being at he top for so long. You'll lose the fire. Moose is an excellent boxer and he'll keep Weidman where he is weakest. This will be a stand up affair with Moose dictating with his jab, and Weidman trying to work his wrestling to no avail.

Ill hit Moose so hard if he is +120 or better.

With that said, Weidman SHOULD be the favorite here. He has beaten some monsters and is more proven in the UFC.

I favour Moose 60-40 imo. A little closer to 65-35 but im keeping it conservative. Im not sure Weidman is the right place mentally after two tough TKO losses to some beasts after being at he top for so long. You'll lose the fire. Moose is an excellent boxer and he'll keep Weidman where he is weakest. This will be a stand up affair with Moose dictating with his jab, and Weidman trying to work his wrestling to no avail.

Ill hit Moose so hard if he is +120 or better.

With that said, Weidman SHOULD be the favorite here. He has beaten some monsters and is more proven in the UFC.
Imo there is zero reason to think Moose could stop Weidmans wrestling. What makes you sure?

Imo there is zero reason to think Moose could stop Weidmans wrestling. What makes you sure?

The jab.

Moose is far ahead in the standup, with the better footwork and imo control of distance. Weidman is robotic in the standup with some decent boxing but its obvious he's gonna try and work his wrestling. He'll have success with the TD if he can get Moose to respect his hands, but I dont think he will. Its easier taking down low volume boxers but moose has shown he can pump the jab endlessly. BUT we know Moose has wilted time and time again against the elite of the elite. Will he do so here? I dont think so, he's been more vocal and his performances recently show that he's willing to take risks and not coast.

The new rules also favor moose here.

The jab.

Moose is far ahead in the standup, with the better footwork and imo control of distance. Weidman is robotic in the standup with some decent boxing but its obvious he's gonna try and work his wrestling. He'll have success with the TD if he can get Moose to respect his hands, but I dont think he will. Its easier taking down low volume boxers but moose has shown he can pump the jab endlessly. BUT we know Moose has wilted time and time again against the elite of the elite. Will he do so here? I dont think so, he's been more vocal and his performances recently show that he's willing to take risks and not coast.

The new rules also favor moose here.
Losing to the elite is just fluff. He's got awesome stand up but his wrestling has always been a question mark (as most guys coming from a striking background have).

I think you're underestimating Weidmans wrestling or overrated Moose. I do agree that Moose is much more fluid standing up and he could give Weidman fits if it were solely a stand up war. but Weidman held his own against Anderson when he was at a (seemingly) major speed disadvantage and he's always gonna have the threat of a takedown that Moose has to think about.

I don't subscribe to this line of thinking but the fights gonna be in Weidman's home state too. Just food for thought for those who believe in judging bias I guess

Woah hold up. He was not beating luke or romero. Both fights were 1 1 heading into r3

Losing to the elite is just fluff. He's got awesome stand up but his wrestling has always been a question mark (as most guys coming from a striking background have).

I think you're underestimating Weidmans wrestling or overrated Moose. I do agree that Moose is much more fluid standing up and he could give Weidman fits if it were solely a stand up war. but Weidman held his own against Anderson when he was at a (seemingly) major speed disadvantage and he's always gonna have the threat of a takedown that Moose has to think about.

I don't subscribe to this line of thinking but the fights gonna be in Weidman's home state too. Just food for thought for those who believe in judging bias I guess

I think Moose is the best striker Weidman will face outside of the aged Silva and Machida. I also think Moose will do more damage and hence edge rounds out even if he is taken out.

Im biased as I am a huge Moose fan but I really think he will beat weidman.

Also I disagree with the elite stuff, he has always failed at the big hurdles when in the UFC.

I think Moose is the best striker Weidman will face outside of the aged Silva and Machida. I also think Moose will do more damage and hence edge rounds out even if he is taken out.

Im biased as I am a huge Moose fan but I really think he will beat weidman.

Also I disagree with the elite stuff, he has always failed at the big hurdles when in the UFC.
That's fine. I acknowledge it's closer than my -200 prediction but don't see how you can favor Moose when Weidmans advantage in the wrestling department trumps the advantage Moose has in the striking

But my point is, what's elite? Is the champ Bisping considered elite? Because I'd pick Moose over him no doubt. There are good and bad stylistic fights for everyone in MMA, just so happens that Jacare was able to exploit Moose's wrestling and he lost a striking battle w Lyoto. No shame in either. In the case of Moose, that statement is more descriptive than predictive, if that makes sense

That's fine. I acknowledge it's closer than my -200 prediction but don't see how you can favor Moose when Weidmans advantage in the wrestling department trumps the advantage Moose has in the striking

But my point is, what's elite? Is the champ Bisping considered elite? Because I'd pick Moose over him no doubt. There are good and bad stylistic fights for everyone in MMA, just so happens that Jacare was able to exploit Moose's wrestling and he lost a striking battle w Lyoto. No shame in either. In the case of Moose, that statement is more descriptive than predictive, if that makes sense

I dunno, you have to use past fights to predict the future and espeicially similar situations he was in before could tell us a lot even if they happen to be wrong.

At the time of his fights with Jacare, and Machida, they were both elite of the elite (Jacare still is). True test for a guy who has achieved so much outside of the UFC and hell he even beat Jacare before so those were true tests to see where he was at in the top 5. IIIRC, he had a terrible performance against Jacare and a below par performance against Machida.

Combate Americas happening tonight in Mexico City. Only 1 bettable fight on 5d. I have 1.5u on Steve Swanson. He looked pretty good from the tape I saw on youtube and Lopez is coming off a KO loss.

Keep in mind too, Lyoto took Moose down and controlled him. Lyoto is a solid grappler but hitting TD's (and this wasn't a judo throw or trip, it was a double iirc) isn't his strength.

If Weidman is a big favorite (-200 or more) I'll be betting Moose for sure. But if this thing is around evens that's a whole different story. Weidman can for sure have success with wrestling and top control. Everyone is forgetting how much Weidman dominated the grappling aspects of basically everyone he fought prior to Rockhold.

Keep in mind too, Lyoto took Moose down and controlled him. Lyoto is a solid grappler but hitting TD's (and this wasn't a judo throw or trip, it was a double iirc) isn't his strength.

If Weidman is a big favorite (-200 or more) I'll be betting Moose for sure. But if this thing is around evens that's a whole different story. Weidman can for sure have success with wrestling and top control. Everyone is forgetting how much Weidman dominated the grappling aspects of basically everyone he fought prior to Rockhold.

I agree with this. Weidman is probably going to have value going forward as he had a couple losses. He is still a great wrestler and great fighter in general.

I agree with this. Weidman is probably going to have value going forward as he had a couple losses. He is still a great wrestler and great fighter in general.

He's taken every opponent he has fought down atleast once aswell. BUT will he do enough damge ontop to win the rounds?

This quote from a recent mousassi interview tells me a lot. Mousassi is aware of Weidman's wrestling so he'll try and outpoint in the striking department and he is a monster grappler in his own right even though he doesnt have the TDD to stop Weidman's TD so I think he could neutralise him or work to from the bottom to stand up.

"I really believe his style is perfect for me," Mousasi said. "I think I could beat him in a pretty dominant fashion. I could take him down. I could ground and pound him. I could strike with him. He is a tall guy, so it's easy to shoot on him. It's all about setups. My wrestling is not good enough, but my striking is better. I can compensate my striking with my wrestling to get the takedown. That is a good fight for me. He is at the end of his career now, but I hope to get that chance one day."

Source: http://www.flocombat.com/article/50...ng-for-fight-i-am-sleeping-eating-and-f-cking

He's taken every opponent he has fought down atleast once aswell. BUT will he do enough damge ontop to win the rounds?

This quote from a recent mousassi interview tells me a lot. Mousassi is aware of Weidman's wrestling so he'll try and outpoint in the striking department and he is a monster grappler in his own right even though he doesnt have the TDD to stop Weidman's TD so I think he could neutralise him or work to from the bottom to stand up.

"I really believe his style is perfect for me," Mousasi said. "I think I could beat him in a pretty dominant fashion. I could take him down. I could ground and pound him. I could strike with him. He is a tall guy, so it's easy to shoot on him. It's all about setups. My wrestling is not good enough, but my striking is better. I can compensate my striking with my wrestling to get the takedown. That is a good fight for me. He is at the end of his career now, but I hope to get that chance one day."

Source: http://www.flocombat.com/article/50...ng-for-fight-i-am-sleeping-eating-and-f-cking
Moose isn't taking Weidman down lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back