General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - August, 2017

In theory Colby should be able to use his elite wrestling defensively to avoid the ground and box him up

hrmm, anyone recall when colby's tdd has been tested? he's usually the one taking everyone down

hrmm, anyone recall when colby's tdd has been tested? he's usually the one taking everyone down

This is a very interesting fight. For someone who uses his wrestling offensively I dont know how well he will be able to keep maia from taking this to the ground. Also if that is his gameplan, will his striking be that effective if he is thinking about defending the takedown? I favor maia right now, but will be looking forward to this fight.

Colby, on paper, has the same credentials as woodley. D1 all American. He might've placed higher.

I think it'll end up being a striking match and I also think Colby has the better cardio.

He's not close to as athletic as Woodley tho

I view Colby quite a bit differently than Woodley honestly. His style has been aggressive with wrestling and ground and pound. Woodley at least showed he's the type that sits back in many fights looking to counter. Colby is always moving forward. He could possibly execute a gameplan of staying on his feet, but keep in mind Woodley wasn't the only one who tried doing that. Almost all of Maia's opponents were looking to do that.

I view Colby quite a bit differently than Woodley honestly. His style has been aggressive with wrestling and ground and pound. Woodley at least showed he's the type that sits back in many fights looking to counter. Colby is always moving forward. He could possibly execute a gameplan of staying on his feet, but keep in mind Woodley wasn't the only one who tried doing that. Almost all of Maia's opponents were looking to do that.
agreed Maia should have much better chances to get a takedown here or at least some ground scrambles.. Colby aint anywhere near Woodley as far as striking go imo and he dont really have the power that will make Maia respect him the same way he did against Woodley

agreed Maia should have much better chances to get a takedown here or at least some ground scrambles.. Colby aint anywhere near Woodley as far as striking go imo and he dont really have the power that will make Maia respect him the same way he did against Woodley

The thing that would worry me is Covington's pace. I think guys can do better on the ground on top of Maia in Rds 2 and 3 than they think. I still like Maia here though. If he's on your back, it's tough to get him off.

The thing that would worry me is Covington's pace. I think guys can do better on the ground on top of Maia in Rds 2 and 3 than they think. I still like Maia here though. If he's on your back, it's tough to get him off.

i dont think colbys conditioning will be a problem

Guys... which big stars do the UFC got left now? Who can headline a big PPV if Conor is out? I mean, Stipe - Cain would do good numbers. But then? If Bisping wins and then has to face Whittaker, will that be a big fight? Not likely.

Woodley doesn't draw, Holloway Edgar won't make big numbers. Holm-Cyborg maybe?

Guys... which big stars do the UFC got left now? Who can headline a big PPV if Conor is out? I mean, Stipe - Cain would do good numbers. But then? If Bisping wins and then has to face Whittaker, will that be a big fight? Not likely.

Woodley doesn't draw, Holloway Edgar won't make big numbers. Holm-Cyborg maybe?

The marketing machine will adjust. I am not as hardcore a fan as some in here. I feel I still have one foot in the casual fan world. Honestly there are some fun guys that can step up and be headliners, perhaps not to the megastar level of Rousey or Mystic Mac but still exciting.

- Francis Ngannou
- Robert Whittaker
- Cody Garbrandt
- Thomas Almeida
- Max Holloway
- Paulo Borrachinha
- Misha Cirkunov
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Amanda Nunes
- Cris Cyborg

I just went over the roster and here are a few names that I would look forward to watch fight, betting aside. Clearly the HW division is thin (and aging) but that has been the case for a long time. It could be a good thing to let some other people step up and have their turn in the sun.

Nick Diaz if he ever returns.. it would be awesome if they made a card with both Diaz bro's fighting that would do big numbers i think

Hey do you guys remember CM Punk? Yeah that was funny.

-
I just went over the roster and here are a few names that I would look forward to watch fight, betting aside. Clearly the HW division is thin (and aging) but that has been the case for a long time. It could be a good thing to let some other people step up and have their turn in the sun.

I'm sure they will be in a few fights. But who of these do you see headlining a PPV without a bunch of other title fight?

- Francis Ngannou - maybe title challenger
- Robert Whittaker - really not a draw
- Cody Garbrandt - potential superstar
- Thomas Almeida - really not a draw
- Max Holloway - maybe in a few fights?
- Paulo Borrachinha - absolutely not a draw
- Misha Cirkunov absolutely not a draw
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk - if they haven't made her a superstar yet, when will that happen?
- Amanda Nunes - got a boost from Ronda but seemed to lose a lot by pulling out.
- Cris Cyborg - needs better challengers.

I mean, these are all good, maybe some will be superstars in the end of next year. But the upcoming five or seven PPV are totally lacking of stars (except 217 which is stacked).

It's possible UFC just adjusts and get used to 250-350k PPVs but I am seriously stunned by the lack of big stars. Masvidal - Thompson can easily headline a fox card but not a PPV.

I really hope they can get Ferg-Khabib, that would be a awesome fight.

We could have Volkan vs Gus as a LHW title fight which used to be UFC best division...

I'm sure they will be in a few fights. But who of these do you see headlining a PPV without a bunch of other title fight?

- Francis Ngannou - maybe title challenger
- Robert Whittaker - really not a draw
- Cody Garbrandt - potential superstar
- Thomas Almeida - really not a draw
- Max Holloway - maybe in a few fights?
- Paulo Borrachinha - absolutely not a draw
- Misha Cirkunov absolutely not a draw
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk - if they haven't made her a superstar yet, when will that happen?
- Amanda Nunes - got a boost from Ronda but seemed to lose a lot by pulling out.
- Cris Cyborg - needs better challengers.

I mean, these are all good, maybe some will be superstars in the end of next year. But the upcoming five or seven PPV are totally lacking of stars (except 217 which is stacked).

It's possible UFC just adjusts and get used to 250-350k PPVs but I am seriously stunned by the lack of big stars. Masvidal - Thompson can easily headline a fox card but not a PPV.

I really hope they can get Ferg-Khabib, that would be a awesome fight.

We could have Volkan vs Gus as a LHW title fight which used to be UFC best division...

Oh yeah I forgot Wonderboy and Gamebred from my list. Yeah I was just listing fighters than I personally am excited to watch. It does seem the UFC is out of stars for the time being. However GSP being around for a couple fights may help to tied them over until they can potentially build up other names.

It does seem that in the post Mystic Mac era one does need to talk smack to be a star. Even Ronda had her own way of being edgy and talking smack. I doubt we will ever see another nice guy star like GSP. One reason Cirkunov and Whittaker aren't draws is they are just too nice.

The long-standing members of the Sherdog betting community know my deal. I'm a straight shooter who fires his colt 45 from da hip like Billy The Kid
Due to recent revelations in regards to Jon Jones testing positive, I retract my original assertion that there was value on betting bones Jones.
Cheating ain't kosher and I disavow Jone's win. Yes, I still won my bet on Johnny, but I don't feel happy about it.
A lot of peeps here that don't give BG1 credit cannot deny the fact I hold myself accountable when wrong. I man up and I only toot my horn when warranted.

I win a boatload of money from my handicapping prowess, but when I'm wrong I tell it like it is because at the end of the day "it is what it is."

- Barry

The long-standing members of the Sherdog betting community know my deal. I'm a straight shooter who fires his colt 45 from da hip like Billy The Kid
Due to recent revelations in regards to Jon Jones testing positive, I retract my original assertion that there was value on betting bones Jones.
Cheating ain't kosher and I disavow Jone's win. Yes, I still won my bet on Johnny, but I don't feel happy about it.
A lot of peeps here that don't give BG1 credit cannot deny the fact I hold myself accountable when wrong. I man up and I only toot my horn when warranted.

I win a boatload of money from my handicapping prowess, but when I'm wrong I tell it like it is because at the end of the day "it is what it is."

- Barry

is it your birthday today? if so, happy birthday.

lol! i just started capping the main and co-main of LFA 20 tonight..

the co-main:

tall skinny 145'er vs tall skinny 145'er
9-2 vs 9-2
wins: 1 win 6 subs 2 decisions, while both losses being decision
^^ the same exact thing for BOTH guys

wth!

and they're almost at pick'em odds on the opener, hehehe

lol! i just started capping the main and co-main of LFA 20 tonight..

the co-main:

tall skinny 145'er vs tall skinny 145'er
9-2 vs 9-2
wins: 1 win 6 subs 2 decisions, while both losses being decision
^^ the same exact thing for BOTH guys

wth!

and they're almost at pick'em odds on the opener, hehehe

I was looking at this event way in advance. I have not seen the odds yet and I won't be able to bet until later. IMO, this is one of the harder AXS cards to cap.

ok, i'm FAR from confident, but after watching a couple fights from both guys, i slightly favor moffett. think he's physically stronger and a better wrestler. they're both very hittable on the feet. both want to grapple.

0.55u moffett -110

---

chad curry has almost all ko/tko, but make no mistake, dude can wrestle. and he has a good top game. he has looked damned impressive in RFA, only loss was to groovy lando.

barnes i remember from fightmaster, actually

hes a good all around offensive fighter w/no real holes anywhere, BUT he can be grapplefucked, happened to him

line is too steep on curry for me, but mehh idk if i'll bet barnes. pass for now

Played both dogs on this. Not confident in either though.

Back