General demise of F12; other grappling fourms

As the sport got more popular, you had more casual people involved, and they jumped on the forums and clogged them up with crap. The forum was better when it was mostly serious grapplers with very few casual guys posting. And the mods do seem to be pretty lax about getting rid of trolls these days, which doesn't help. But there are still gems on here, and overall the crowd is a lot better than /r/bjj which is like 90% white and blue belts.

In my lifetime it's been my experience that popularity ruins EVRYTHING. This is why I am 100% against bjj in the Olympics. Say hello to a shit load of new rules, watered down techniques, and a Mc Dojo on every corner

In my lifetime it's been my experience that popularity ruins EVRYTHING. This is why I am 100% against bjj in the Olympics. Say hello to a shit load of new rules, watered down techniques, and a Mc Dojo on every corner

Olympic TKD is the best TKD

GoatFury & Gerbil keep the forum alive. Although, I know GoatFury cheats on us with Reddit. ;)

Olympic TKD is the best TKD

Some awesome knock outs in that video! I agree Olympic level in any sport is the best. My post was referring to the increased popularity and all the negatives that come with popularity

Pretty sure a stiff slap would KTFO most of the 'fighters' in those vids.

Why do TKD guys leave their hands to their sides? Every knockout was from a foot with a clear, unobstructed path to the head.

Why do TKD guys leave their hands to their sides? Every knockout was from a foot with a clear, unobstructed path to the head.

Their arms were tired out from holding up their chai mocha lattes earlier that morning.

Last edited:

There is no punching to the head so they can leave them down like that. You see Kyokushin fighters doing the same thing for the same reason.

The spinning head kicks are so powerful that they can't really be blocked with a guard the way you are imagining. They will smash through your guard and do damage anyway.

Spinning head kicks are slow so they are typically dodged. You don't need your hands up to do that. So the hands are carried lower to defend the body attacks primarily. Head attacks are dodged.

When you don't dodge it, you get those KO highlight reels.

Balto, I used to go to a tkd school where the teacher had an Olympic medal and some of the students were hoping to get in the team.

They told me that kicks aren't scored to the body unless you make the person jolt, which is hard through the protector.

So when you get kicked , it is better to counter kick and steal the point. Most points are counters.

They also said that they have multiple matches in the same day and that it is important to get your arms out of the way of the kicks because if they take too much damage, you won't fight as well.

Balto, I used to go to a tkd school where the teacher had an Olympic medal and some of the students were hoping to get in the team.

They told me that kicks aren't scored to the body unless you make the person jolt, which is hard through the protector.

So when you get kicked , it is better to counter kick and steal the point. Most points are counters.

They also said that they have multiple matches in the same day and that it is important to get your arms out of the way of the kicks because if they take too much damage, you won't fight as well.

Interesting and thanks.

I sometimes try to think of what I can add to these forums. I either have a mental block or I am all dried up.
Some topic ideas I have are...
1. Badass retirement
2. The fine art of slow rolling
3. Bjj at 40 (ten years later)
4. Who slaps their legs, arms and body before matches?
5. What happened to stitch?
6. Cesar Gracie skiing story
7. "Why I always be sucks."

Every time I start to write something I just sit there with a blank brain. Maybe I should try some onnit supplements or put butter in my coffee or something.

Any Cashbill thread is a good Cashbill thread.

There is no punching to the head so they can leave them down like that. You see Kyokushin fighters doing the same thing for the same reason.

The spinning head kicks are so powerful that they can't really be blocked with a guard the way you are imagining. They will smash through your guard and do damage anyway.

Spinning head kicks are slow so they are typically dodged. You don't need your hands up to do that. So the hands are carried lower to defend the body attacks primarily. Head attacks are dodged.

When you don't dodge it, you get those KO highlight reels.

I have zero experience with TKD but I do have a handful of years in Muy Thai and MMA. I can say with some degree of confidence that those slappy kicks to the head would be easily handled by the arms being up and the chin being down. Those knockouts a fun to watch but it's TKD vs TKD. That's why it's techniques are rarely seen in MMA

I log in this morning, and no Copa Podio thread...

F12 is dead.

I have zero experience with TKD but I do have a handful of years in Muy Thai and MMA. I can say with some degree of confidence that those slappy kicks to the head would be easily handled by the arms being up and the chin being down. Those knockouts a fun to watch but it's TKD vs TKD. That's why it's techniques are rarely seen in MMA

Those kicks aren't slappy at all. You're mixing them up with the kind of kicks you'd see in semi contact point fighting. The definition of a slappy kick is one that doesn't really do any damage even if it lands cleanly. Slappy kicks can effectively be ignored in full contact fighting. Olympic TKD is full contact, and you definitely can't let the power kicks land cleanly without being dropped.

I spent over a decade in Karate, Kickboxing, and MT -- sort of a blend of them all, I guess Kickboxing is the best term for it. What really kills those spinning kicks is the low kick rules because they are easy to counter by angle stepping in to dodge and kicking out the support leg. This is how MT guys always dealt with it. It's pretty easy.

Without the leg kick rules though, these kicks become a lot more common. Watch the old long pants style American Kickboxing matches. They are wearing boxing gloves, hitting full contact, keeping their hands up in a boxing guard, and they are still getting knocked out left and right by these kicks.

A spinning kick like that is pretty much the most powerful kick you can throw as a human. If you've ever sparred a guy who likes spinning backfists, it's the same thing but on steroids. You don't want to stand still in the pocket and just take it, even with a hand up. Imagine that instead of a gloved hand coming around it's a bony, unprotected foot. And the power of the strike is way greater due to the longer lever of the leg plus much larger posterior chain muscles driving the acceleration.

Spinning kicks are risky and tough to connect with, which is why you don't see them as much. But if one connects, it's pretty brutal. Look at MMA to see the results when they (rarely) land cleanly. They do serious damage. They're not slappy at all.

Those kicks aren't slappy at all. You're mixing them up with the kind of kicks you'd see in semi contact point fighting. The definition of a slappy kick is one that doesn't really do any damage even if it lands cleanly. Slappy kicks can effectively be ignored in full contact fighting. Olympic TKD is full contact, and you definitely can't let the power kicks land cleanly without being dropped.

I spent over a decade in Karate, Kickboxing, and MT -- sort of a blend of them all, I guess Kickboxing is the best term for it. What really kills those spinning kicks is the low kick rules because they are easy to counter by angle stepping in to dodge and kicking out the support leg. This is how MT guys always dealt with it. It's pretty easy.

Without the leg kick rules though, these kicks become a lot more common. Watch the old long pants style American Kickboxing matches. They are wearing boxing gloves, hitting full contact, keeping their hands up in a boxing guard, and they are still getting knocked out left and right by these kicks.

A spinning kick like that is pretty much the most powerful kick you can throw as a human. If you've ever sparred a guy who likes spinning backfists, it's the same thing but on steroids. You don't want to stand still in the pocket and just take it, even with a hand up. Imagine that instead of a gloved hand coming around it's a bony, unprotected foot. And the power of the strike is way greater due to the longer lever of the leg plus much larger posterior chain muscles driving the acceleration.

Spinning kicks are risky and tough to connect with, which is why you don't see them as much. But if one connects, it's pretty brutal. Look at MMA to see the results when they (rarely) land cleanly. They do serious damage. They're not slappy at all.

I'm not going to attempt an argument to this. It's just hard for me to imagine that these kicks connecting with a foot are as powerful as a shin. Maybe that's why I'm in the grappling forum instead of standup

Back