Gems in Korean Indie Music

P

Pugilistic

I personally think K-Pop as a whole is overproduced garbage. And they always have to a stupid dance to go along with their songs. Despite living in Korea and being Korean, I shunned Korean music..until now. I've been getting more into the indie music scene here and I am blown away by how many talented people are out there. It's such a shame this great music is getting almost no attention while most people can name shitty kpop songs.

Currently this guy is my new favorite.

damn I liked that young wave song. 80s revival is more to my taste. and that hot girl playing bass. damn!

i think there's plenty of great music in kpop, but yeah there's great korean indie music too.

godly retro, doo-wop style trio The Barberettes:

Kim Sa Wol's album Suzanne is fantastic all the way through:

similar to that, Fromm is great:

and in terms of male folky singer-songwriter artists, i really like this from KwonTree:

great blues from Lowdown 30:

some more blues with fantastic wailing from Jeong Cha Shik:

for electronic music, Yukari/Aseul has great dreamy stuff:

some bizarre psychadelic synthy stuff from Silica Gel:

Goonamguayeoridingstella has some great fun rock:

The Koxx are similarly fun with great energy:

and Jambinai are an amazing blend of post-rock i guess with traditional korean instruments:

@Pugilistic Are any of these considered shitty?

DJ Doc - Run to you
Koyotae - Sun Jeong (I learned to sing most of this in Hangukeo)
Hans Band - Hogishib

Those were the 3 CDs I bought when I was stationed there in 2002, I still have the Koyotae Best Mix CD.

@Pugilistic Are any of these considered shitty?

DJ Doc - Run to you
Koyotae - Sun Jeong (I learned to sing most of this in Hangukeo)
Hans Band - Hogishib

Those were the 3 CDs I bought when I was stationed there in 2002, I still have the Koyotae Best Mix CD.

I don't know about Hans Band but DJ Doc and Koyotae were once really popular. I heard their songs a lot when I was in middle school. I personally don't care for their music though.

felt like bumping this thread again, so here are a few songs i've been listening to a lot lately that are sort of connected:

A Long Dream by Se So Neon (produced by Silica Gel's synth player and vocalist Kim Hanjoo who was heavily involved in this album):

Space Angel by Silica Gel and Parasol:

The Bait by Parasol:

all great music videos too.

@GoForkYourself that Kim Sawol song you posted is great. I've heard her stuff before but that song is my favorite so far.

This a really new group who just started their soundcloud account. It's two Korean girls who call themselves the Finishirts. They say they're alternative rock but it's more like electronic. Really chill stuff. I saw them perform at a private party a couple times and was really impressed. The one thing I would criticize is that they sing in English but their English isn't perfect so sometimes it's hard to understand what the singer is saying.

@GoForkYourself that Kim Sawol song you posted is great. I've heard her stuff before but that song is my favorite so far.

This a really new group who just started their soundcloud account. It's two Korean girls who call themselves the Finishirts. They say they're alternative rock but it's more like electronic. Really chill stuff. I saw them perform at a private party a couple times and was really impressed. The one thing I would criticize is that they sing in English but their English isn't perfect so sometimes it's hard to understand what the singer is saying.

yeah, like i said that whole album Suzanne by Kim Sawol is great.

that Finishirts music is good too. simple and relaxing stuff.

Lucy's Quiet Friends - Lucy, also entirely in English but great lyrics:

more energetic live version of Parade by Floating Island that i remember liking more than the studio version which i can't find now:

I just came back from this artist's debut concert. She's from a jazz background and plays the piano but she recently released her debut album. Not sure what genre you'd call this but I guess it's like modern jazz/alternative rock? I really liked her voice and the mood of her songs. She had a wicked piano solo on one song and looked so happy performing.

thought i'd bump this up.

Aseul (formerly Yukari) who i mentioned earlier in this thread has an album coming out soon and has a teaser for the album's first single's music video:

thought i would bump this back up with a great synth-pop song, Twilight Zone from Band 88:

Aundrea from the same album reminds me of an Alvvays song, particularly the dreamy guitar:

I also really like Don't Let You Go by Mori:

Korean R&B's version of IU. Her music is so good

Last edited:
thought i would bump this up again with a new release by Band 88:

i've also been listening to Siren by UZA, which came out earlier this month:

Back