Gatekeepers that pulled it off.

To me a gatekeeper is someone who lost to the vast majority of contenders but won against most journeymen.

Bisping is really one of the best examples.

i think you need to be more specific about what you mean by gatekeeper. Miesha for example is not a gatekeeper as she was a contender. A gatekeeper is someone who guards the gate to contendership. You have to beat them to become a contender. Anyone in the top 5-10 is usually considered a contender.
Maybe I am wrong able it Tate. But I see a gatekeeper as a perennial top 10 or top 5 fighter who stays in that range for a long time without winning the big one.

once you win a title you arent a gate keeper.
That’s kinda d of my point. Who is a fighter you thought would be a gatekeeper forever, who do you think would always be close but never win, but then shocked you when they did.

Before Bisping KTFO Luke, I referred to him as, "The Gatekeeper of Gatekeepers."

He punched ME in the mouth as well as Salthold, and shut me the F up for good.

Whether one thinks he's a good fighter or not, he became world champ.

I was happy for him, it was a great underdog story that they could make a movie out if it......but then he had to fucking ruin it. Now I wish he never became champ

Bisping was a gatekeeper to steroids. Once USADA era arrived, he became champ. Also, looking at the GIF, it was a legit KO. Bisping stepped into the punch, ate it, and countered him perfectly. Shot for shot. Bisping had the better chin and punch.

Tate was a good call. She got lucky with that sub on Holly. She was getting wrecked on the feet until that sub. She quickly lost the belt right after too.
Tate was always a top contender though. At the time a gatekeeper at 135 would have been someone like Rocky Pennington.

Maybe I am wrong able it Tate. But I see a gatekeeper as a perennial top 10 or top 5 fighter who stays in that range for a long time without winning the big one.

Well it makes sense why youd think shes a gate keeper but i dont think thats what most people think of as gate keeper. Like i wouldnt call overeem a gate keeper just as i dont think condit is a gate keeper.

Struve and roy nelson i see as gate keepers and same as guys like cheick kongo. Guys who will never get the title but you have to beat to break into the top 10/5

I felt like Woodley was kinda one before he won the belt.

Well it makes sense why youd think shes a gate keeper but i dont think thats what most people think of as gate keeper. Like i wouldnt call overeem a gate keeper just as i dont think condit is a gate keeper.

Struve and roy nelson i see as gate keepers and same as guys like cheick kongo. Guys who will never get the title but you have to beat to break into the top 10/5
That’s seems like a better description than what I was using.

Who is the top perennial gatekeeper who finally pulled off the big W and took home the gold, even if only for a moment.

Miesha Tate comes to mind. A great fighter always just a runner up due to Ronda.

Bisping is probably my #1 pick. I never thought he would pull it off. I was happy for him when he did but he lost that second Henderson fight and has become a turd since the.

Miesha was never a gatekeeper. She was the Strikeforce champ before Ronda won it.

Bisping was never a gatekeeper. He was almost always ranked.

once you win a title you arent a gate keeper.
Some people are gate keepers deep inside in terms of athletic and competitive output being displayed but managed to pull it off due to good timing in their favor (for instance, not having elite guys at the time due to injuries/retirement/etc).

Some people are gate keepers deep inside in terms of athletic and competitive output being displayed but managed to pull it off due to good timing in their favor (for instance, not having elite guys at the time due to injuries/retirement/etc).
meh, if you win gold you're a champion.. not a gate keeper.

deep

I always thought gatekeeper was the guy you have to beat to get a title shot. A talented fighter good enough to beat everyone except the elite of the division.
I feel like there are different levels to gatekeepers. The low level lose to the guys who might make it, and beat the ones who won't (Pezao de Lima, Trevor Smith, etc.) The mid level guys who you need to beat in order to get a step up into the top 10-15 (Roy Nelson, Stefan Struve, etc.). Then the high level guys from 5-10 to show you're ready for a shot at the title (Gustafsson, Jacare Souza, etc.)

I feel like there are different levels to gatekeepers. The low level lose to the guys who might make it, and beat the ones who won't (Pezao de Lima, Trevor Smith, etc.) The mid level guys who you need to beat in order to get a step up into the top 10-15 (Roy Nelson, Stefan Struve, etc.). Then the high level guys from 5-10 to show you're ready for a shot at the title (Gustafsson, Jacare Souza, etc.)

Gus is a contender not a gatekeeper.

Isn't a contender just a gatekeeper to the title?<seedat>

Sorry, I'm high writing this whole thing. So please excuse the errors.

A contender is a competitor for a championship. I've been drinking a lot of english breakfast tea though so I don't know. I've also been eating those cookies that have the red jam centre in the middle.

A contender is a competitor for a championship. I've been drinking a lot of english breakfast tea though so I don't know. I've also been eating those cookies that have the red jam centre in the middle.
We need a graph of some sort.

Back