Gassed Conor

It's like Conor fans forget he did NOTHING before the 3rd round

1st round he was taken down and grappling for all but 15 seconds, start of the 2nd round he got knocked down and pounded on

Dude, Conor does not have that type of footwork, his footwork setups his left hand, not help with his TDD. If you want to see someone with anti wrestling footwork, look at Aldo.
Against both khabib and Mendes he didn’t show his typical in and out footwork, and he ended up on his ass within the first 10 seconds if both fights. I’m not sure what you’re trying to elude to, but the Conor that fought was not the Conor we have come to know and expect.

So he was gassed before the fight even started? It all makes sense now.

More like we didn't see a "non-gassed" Conor because he was taken down a few seconds after the fight started.
Now the Conor fanbase is looking forward to see a "non-gassed" Conor for longer but that's hard when your fighting an elite wrestler/grappler than can take you down at will when fresh.

Against both khabib and Mendes he didn’t show his typical in and out footwork, and he ended up on his ass within the first 10 seconds if both fights. I’m not sure what you’re trying to elude to, but the Conor that fought was not the Conor we have come to know and expect.
And what do Mendes and Khabib have in common that would cause Conor to fight differently than his other fights?

Hint: starts with a W

Not sure if you read, that in and out footwork helps him setting up his left hand, NOT his TDD.

Conor didn’t show up. Plain and simple. The gassed part didn’t even matter, from opening bell he was off. 2 years, kids and coke can ruin anyone. Conor is no different. Don’t want to see him back unless he’s recommitted...
Or Khabib is just better, which is the truth.

Fatigue had little to do with it, the problem was the threat of a takedown. Conor was apprehensive due to the threat of a hard grappler.

Khabib did not madly rush in. He moved back, laterally making Connor come after him. It did not take him long to gauge Connors movements and shot in at the first opportunity. Stand-up and wrestling involve different uses of force, and this is where Connor loses steam faster. He also seems to get discouraged easily if his punches don't have an immediate affect. Fatigue sets in quickly for him for these two reasons.

Khabib did not madly rush in. He moved back, laterally making Connor come after him. It did not take him long to gauge Connors movements and shot in at the first opportunity. Stand-up and wrestling involve different uses of force, and this is where Connor loses steam faster. He also seems to get discouraged easily if his punches don't have an immediate affect. Fatigue sets in quickly for him for these two reasons.

Actually solid first post on Sherdog.

Great first post.

Gassed Conor is so much more different than Conor when he is fresh. When fresh, Conor darts in and out of range, has superb accuracy and power and when he gasses, he becomes a plodding brawler almost and the change in his style is very evident.
I still see posts arguing that Conor was not the same. The Conor in Nate 1, second half of Nate 2 and the second half of the Floyd mirrors the one that Khabib fought, gassed due to the wrestling.
If you compare, it's very evident that Conor did not look the same because he was gassed. Hell, if Eddie took him down 15 seconds into the fight, forced him to carry his weight he would have looked exactly the same as he did as Khabib.

I agree with you.
And I find if odd how people do not connect the dots here.

Everyone that wanted to find something good to say about Conor, they were all quick to claim how great he defended from the bottom.
But no one takes into account how much energy he used to do that.

And I think this has a direct relation with his gas tank.
And like you said, the more tired he is, sloppier is his game.
Add the beating he took on second round, and it didn't surprise me that when Khabib stood with him, he was already too far gone to be able to capitalize on it.

Cardio isn't the issue, he wasn't heart efficient.

I agree with you.
And I find if odd how people do not connect the dots here.

Everyone that wanted to find something good to say about Conor, they were all quick to claim how great he defended from the bottom.
But no one takes into account how much energy he used to do that.

And I think this has a direct relation with his gas tank.
And like you said, the more tired he is, sloppier is his game.
Add the beating he took on second round, and it didn't surprise me that when Khabib stood with him, he was already too far gone to be able to capitalize on it.
Tbh, him grabbing the shorts also had a part to play in his defense. Khabib could have gotten a full mount in round two but Conor grabbed the cage. He also underestimated Khabib's pressure from top, while Conor just defended, Khabib's constant work gassed him out.

Breaking news: a tired athlete is not as good as when they’re fresh.

Tbh, him grabbing the shorts also had a part to play in his defense. Khabib could have gotten a full mount in round two but Conor grabbed the cage. He also underestimated Khabib's pressure from top, while Conor just defended, Khabib's constant work gassed him out.
Agree.
IMHO they both did a great job.
Conor, for a non-wrestler did pretty good. But Wrestling and top control is almost second nature for Khabib.
That is the part people don't understand... the level difference is just too great.
Conor did a lot better than many. But that is (by far) not enough.

Back