Gary Goodridge is a legend

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I dont think lots of people think of Gary in high esteems like a lot of fighters who is the by product of UFC hype machine.

We all know the term legends is being easily thrown around here, but I think Gary deserves the respect.

He always came to fight, and he is really one of the pioneers of strikers in MMA competing against other legends in the sports. He was a striker who had balls to fight wrestlers like Coleman with head butts allowed, I think could be wrong but.

Before his 7 fight loss streak and retirement and CTE, these are the fighters he lost to.
Fedor
Nog
Coleman
Heath
Ricco
Yvel
Frye
Schultz
Erikson
Igor
Marco Ruas
Ogawa
Neto

Has wins over
Frye
Valentine Overeem
Oleg
Nortje

One of the nicest gentlemen around too.

Class act all the way.

He was signing autographs at a comic book convention about an hour away from my work. Should have went.

Gary Goodridge : Legendary Status

iu

And an arm wrestling beast
hqdefault.jpg

He's a good dude but this is the literal definition of "legend is a term thrown around too loosely"

He does deserve respect though for his long, relevant MMA career and we should all pray for him in his battle with dementia, a battle he is having because he gave those brain cells entertaining us fans

All the best Gary, you're the man

He is a legend, but the price he payed was huge.

Gary is a legend and a cautionary tale.

An impressive resume of fighters indeed. Much respect to GG always.

That loss list is a lot bigger than the win one. If we count him as a legend that means basically anyone who came up early was a legend. Gilbert yvel is a legend. Tank abbott is a legend. Maurice smith is a legend. Etc. It's just nonsense. I like gary and those elbows were insane but he's not a legend at all.

Gary Goodridge > Black Beast.

Prime Gary could literally be a title contender in the UFC right now.

No he is not but he had some entertaining fights tho.

He's not a legend but he's a respected veteran of the sport.

He's a pioneer legend 10000%. Nice to see some love for my fellow ontaroian

Absolute legend. You dont have to be one of the greats to be a legend. He comes from a time where guys just didnt take care of themselves very well -- and the facts are damage affects every person different. You'll have one football player who played 3 years and has CTE and another guy who played 10 years smashing dudes left and right and doesnt have an issue. Hell that college QB from washington just killed himself and they said he had the brain of a 75 year old ... and he was a QB who never really took hits. Crazy.

He also fought some great K-1 fighters: LeBanner x2, Aerts x2, Sefo, Hunt, Bonjasky, Bernardo x2, etc.

Gary Goodridge > Black Beast.

Prime Gary could literally be a title contender in the UFC right now.

I've said this too. Prime Gary would be top 5 at least.

retired a couple years and 7 losses too late. let this be a lesson, Chuck Liddell!

Back