Garry Tonon's MMA debut

MMA4Life

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
He is one of John Danaher's guys and therefore a heel hook machine. It will be interesting to see him in MMA and if he can make it into a major organization. Anyone else intrigued?

He is one of John Danaher's guys and therefore a heel hook machine. It will be interesting to see him in MMA and if he can make it into a major organization. Anyone else intrigued?
Seen him in Metamoris and another grappling show, definitely interested to see him develop as a fighter. Surprised he doesn't have a wikipedia page yet considering many felt he was P4P the top guy in men's grappling a couple of years ago.

ONE Championship: Iron Will
24th March, Bangkok
Opponent is Richard Corminal (4-3, 0-2 in 1C)

In case anyone is interested in the details lol

Finally, if only Danis could do the same.

gary was also a d1 wrestler if im not mistaken hes not a guard pulling butt scooter like most he has great scrambles i think thats his best asset

Finally, if only Danis could do the same.

danis isnt as good nor does he havethe wrestling tbh unless he went and trained full on at a good camp knowing him hed just do takedowns with the bjj guys n his gym

He beat Shinya Aoki in a grappling match at ONE i think

This is going to be interesting for sure.
I wonder since he is with Danaher if he got to train with GSP or other.

I'm interested is seeing this, D1 wrestler or not, I think he's been doing strickly bjj for the last couple years, going to need to dust off the ol' wrestling shoes if he wants to make it very far in MMA.

Always interesting to see grapplers transition to MMA

Was bummed that Robert Drysdale and Braulio Estima’s MMA careers never really took off, they both looked very promising.

Tonon didn't wrestle in college or high school, but he's worked very hard at it for years now and it's pretty solid. It's going to be very interesting to see how he looks in there. I'm guessing his MMA game will be more conservative than his grappling game.

Was bummed that Robert Drysdale and Braulio Estima’s MMA careers never really took off, they both looked very promising.
Drysdale especially. He actually made it to the UFC.

Rodolfo Vieira fights this Saturday at ACB.

Braulio Estima's career was basically supposed to be a one-off from the beginning. He was pretty up-in-the-air about whether or not he'd make it a permanent transition even heading into his debut, he was doing it more for fun. He even said after that the amount of training he'd have to do wasn't worth it considering how much he wanted it (not much, compared to grappling). It's like being surprised Jens Pulver's kickboxing career never took off, even though he'd won his debut during the heyday of K-1 MAX.
And, to be fair, Drysdale's failed drug test messed his career up a lot. It wasn't like it "never took off", he was suspended and released from the UFC. By the time he came back the hype wasn't there. It's not much different than if he'd gotten knocked out. He's still training and preparing for a big return, apparently, he's probably just waiting for a worthwhile offer.

Robson Moura's more of a guy who's career never took off, but I think that was more of a personal choice and a circumstantial thing than anything else (there weren't many non-Shooto flyweight offers during the early-mid 00's, and I have a sneaking suspicion that relations between him and the Shooto commission had soured after he rematched Mamoru).

ONE Championship: Iron Will
24th March, Bangkok
Opponent is Richard Corminal (4-3, 0-2 in 1C)

In case anyone is interested in the details lol
Lol my bad I could have been more thorough.

Back