Garry Tonon fought again yesterday in MMA

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Tonon's opponent was an unknown guy from India (Raju) who had a fair bit of size on Tonon, and was actually a decent athlete.

Throughout the fight Tonon put Raju in a ton of bad positions, yet Raju was able to escape each time. Multiple leglock attempts, a mounted triangle attempt into an omoplata, yet he couldn't put Raju away.

Finally, in round 3 Tonon caught him in a straightjacket with Raju's right arm trapped, and was able to finish the RNC. It may have been the first "walk off" submission in MMA history, as Tonon actually released his leg grips entirely before Raju tapped.

Found a vid.. tonon looked good!
Got cracked a few times, but held his composure, dominated the fight, got the finish. Probs should have finished it earlier, but the Indian fella did well

straight jacket? is that when he has the guys arm trapped with his leg?

gangster way to finish it off... although I was surprised how he couldn’t leg locked him at first... eat a couple of punches to the head also...

How much weight did rahul had on Gary? Was fairly bigger from what it looked like

Finally we are going to see some dahaners straight jacket system on Mma...with gloves I think is going to sky rocket rnc, people was getting too good at defending the back these days...

we gonna pretend Danaher invented trapping the arm from back mount now, too?? coolio

I was surprised how often raju got up. Maybe tonon might need to make some changes to his approach when he's on top?

I feel like guys have gotten better at getting back to their feet but now some guys have come up with an answer. Khabib, lee, Weidman against gastelum. I know bjj scout has done at least one video on it.

we gonna pretend Danaher invented trapping the arm from back mount now, too?? coolio

Naaa, but the way tonon did it follows the exact path and grip fighting dahaner shows... it’s not the traditional arm trap...

I was surprised how often raju got up. Maybe tonon might need to make some changes to his approach when he's on top?

I feel like guys have gotten better at getting back to their feet but now some guys have come up with an answer. Khabib, lee, Weidman against gastelum. I know bjj scout has done at least one video on it.

i think the greater issue is that, generally, professional MMA fighters are just better at everything these days. Raju demonstrated competent MMA grappling skills, which Tonon should expect from everybody he faces in a show the stature of One FC. Conversely, Tonon the BJJ guy demonstrated competent striking and wrestling, which Raju should expect. This is actually why I'm so bullish on Tonon's MMA career-- he is naturally comfortable transitioning between, and attacking from, all aspects of the MMA game.

Garry is can crushing. Would like to see him against a real fighter.

I was interested in his one-armed arm-in guillotine to darce attempt. This is maybe the 5th or 6th time I've seen one of the DDS guys do an arm-in guillotine without connecting the hands and I'm wondering what the benefit is. Garry had the takedown to the front headlock/cradle combo. Switched to the arm-in guillotine but without the hands connected and the choking arm deep. Stepped over to quasi-mount and dismounted dragging the far leg with him to pull the guy up on his side. He reached through for the darce and the guy blocked it so Tonon went to his back. 2nd round. I'm just windering what that deep one-arm arm-in grip helps with. Gordon Ryan finished a guy with it at an EBI without ever connecting his hands and Geo just used to at Quintet to go from arm-in to no-arm guillotine.

Garry is can crushing. Would like to see him against a real fighter.
Do ya'll wanna see him get fucked up that badly? He's had no amateur or exhibition fights. He's said very clearly that he would like to stay in Japan for a while to build experience for going to the big leagues. His standup needs work and I am not sure why fight fans are so anxious to see him jump to Bellator or the UFC. Danis' striking in his Bellator debut looked terrible and although he got the sub quickly I think he could benefit from doing what Garry is doing by trying to take it slow. Garry is a younger guy and has plenty of time to fight in the big leagues once he builds his skill set and clocks in more cage-time. It took him 3 rounds to finish the guy so it's not like he's fighting can after can after can and just mowing through them all.

i think the greater issue is that, generally, professional MMA fighters are just better at everything these days. Raju demonstrated competent MMA grappling skills, which Tonon should expect from everybody he faces in a show the stature of One FC. Conversely, Tonon the BJJ guy demonstrated competent striking and wrestling, which Raju should expect. This is actually why I'm so bullish on Tonon's MMA career-- he is naturally comfortable transitioning between, and attacking from, all aspects of the MMA game.
All of this. I also really like 3 things especially about his performance yesterday.

1. His "grapple-box" skills are very good. His transitions from the striking to the takedown attempts ooked fairly seamless. On one of the takedowns (I forgot the round) it looked like he was throwing a strike and was right on the takedown. Reminded me of GSP honestly.

2. His looseness on the feet despite making him prone to being KO'd is still better than him being too tight and stiff I think. He just needs to stop leading with his head/picking his chin up. But he's comfortable on the feet which is a nice surprise.

3. When one sub doesn't work he doesn't let it fuck with his head and just moves to another. Some good submission based fighters don't handle it well when their best subs fail the first time around. Garry stayed calm and kept going for them.

gangster way to finish it off... although I was surprised how he couldn’t leg locked him at first...

This is big time armchair quarterbacking but I think on both 411 heel hooks it would have been smart for him to control the far leg first and then release the far leg to finish on the near leg. My guess is he had such confidence in his finish that he went straight for the finish on the near leg because he didn't feel the need to do the textbook 411 'double trouble' to inverted heel hook. He just had the leg he needed and went for the inverted so maybe he lost some bite on it and it was enough for Raju to not tap.

Just a guess.

Lol. Definitely not but his guys are the first I've seen without the gi to consistently fall to the bottom-arm side, and (while maintain control of the opponent's bottom hand) use their own bottom arm to control the opponent's top wrist, bring it low and then use their top leg to weave over their opponent's top arm and then behind their back.

Falling to the bottom arm side in no gi to attack rear naked chokes in general is a newer thing. Taking the back and falling to the bottom arm side was something you usually did if you wanted to take the kimura grip and attack armbars or reverse triangles.

Let's be honest here, The indian fighter had a really awful stand-up game.

Let's be honest here, The indian fighter had a really awful stand-up game.

Actually it looked quite good... he had a good right hand... much better than expected...

Found a vid.. tonon looked good!
Got cracked a few times, but held his composure, dominated the fight, got the finish. Probs should have finished it earlier, but the Indian fella did well

Considering the level of opponent he didn’t really look very good at all. He’s just starting out I know but it was worrying how easily the other guy was able to survive and escape the ground. His striking also looked like it will get him into serious trouble against anyone who knows how to hit. Him rushing in with his jerky head movement wasn’t very good, he should focus on learning how to jab and kick properly.

For the record Tonon is one I my fav guys to watch grapple

Just goes to show you how high the level of grappling is in MMA. Just like everyone says about striking in MMA, you don't have to have years of bjj tourny experience to be an effective grappler in a fight.

Speaking of striking, he needs some more work. Running in there chin up will cost him against someone with a little more "pop."

Back