Garbrandt/Dillashaw

After seeing Cody out class Cruz, I think he does the same to TJ.

really good fight, tough call, but I'll go with Garbrandt, better boxer.

Hoping TJ wins, Garbrandt is the typical son of a single mom and looked really stupid on tuf.

Don't rear naked chokes put direct pressure (from the forearm) on the throat (windpipe)?

edit; I know punching the throat is illegal but I don't recall anything in the rules about chokes like the one in the gif.
Yes & No.
If the RNC is not applied correctly, it may have a direct crushing action on the windpipe. Proper RNC is to choke the blood vessels on the either side of the neck, stopping the blood & oxygen flow to the brain.

I just re-looked up the rules (wiki) and it is there:

Illegal actions[edit]
  • Strikes to the neck, throat, spine, kidneys, joints, groin, knees and below
  • Kicks and knees to the head in ground position (from either athletes)
  • Stomp kicks
  • Intentional breaking of bones or joints (i.e. not giving the opponent’s enough time to tap in submission situations)
  • Head butts, malicious cross faces
  • Biting
  • Eye, ear, or nose gouging, fish hooking
  • Pulling of hair, nose or ears
  • Spikes (i.e., standing throws onto the head or neck and landing onto the thrower’s knee)
  • Slams in defense of submission attempts and if opponent’s body is above waist level
  • Back splashes from standing position
  • Combination of joint locks and throws
  • Use of the fingers for throat/trachea choking techniques 19
  • Inside or outside heel hooks
  • Chin ripping
  • Neck cranks (crucifix, full-nelson, can opener, etc.)[citation needed]
  • Small joint manipulation
  • Holding fewer than 4 fingers or toes
  • Coating the skin with any kind of substance or using gauzes or any kind of protective materials without the authorization of the Head medical officer and in agreement with the referee
  • Intentional grabbing of competition uniform and protection gear
  • Initiating an attack once both competitors are out of bounds
  • Strong verbal language (i.e. racist slurs) towards anybody present in the competition hall
  • Pretense of injury
edit: I got this from wiki so I'm not sure how accurate it is but I believe the rule about grabbing the throat.
edit 2: heel hooks? really? I thought those were allowed. I'm not sure I trust wiki
Yeah the heel hook one is strange. I'm pretty sure I've seen heel hook finishes

I'm looking more forward to this fight than GSP/Bisping, I think it's a genuinely good match-up physically, and their backstory/bad blood obviously goes back as far as TJ leaving Alpha Male, genuinely building since TUF 22. Who do you guys have winning?

Agree, I can't wait for this fight myself. TJ is one of the most skilled fighters in the game imo and Cody is super fast and powerful with really crisp boxing. Personally I think TJ is just a much better fighter all around and will end up throwing a beating on Cody but I am very excited for this fight because Cody can drop most anyone in his division if he catches them flush so it should be very exciting. I'm not interested in the nonsense drama of it because plenty of the Alpha Male guys have been going out to train with TJ since this whole nonsense and you haven't seen Faber or Cody shit talk any of them so i'll leave that TMZ while I root for TJ get that belt back. I dont think he lost it to DOM in the first place that fight was pretty much even in my eyes which defaults back to thechamp but we have seen worse judging.

I just re-looked up the rules (wiki) and it is there:

Illegal actions[edit]
  • Strikes to the neck, throat, spine, kidneys, joints, groin, knees and below
  • Kicks and knees to the head in ground position (from either athletes)
  • Stomp kicks
  • Intentional breaking of bones or joints (i.e. not giving the opponent’s enough time to tap in submission situations)
  • Head butts, malicious cross faces
  • Biting
  • Eye, ear, or nose gouging, fish hooking
  • Pulling of hair, nose or ears
  • Spikes (i.e., standing throws onto the head or neck and landing onto the thrower’s knee)
  • Slams in defense of submission attempts and if opponent’s body is above waist level
  • Back splashes from standing position
  • Combination of joint locks and throws
  • Use of the fingers for throat/trachea choking techniques 19
  • Inside or outside heel hooks
  • Chin ripping
  • Neck cranks (crucifix, full-nelson, can opener, etc.)[citation needed]
  • Small joint manipulation
  • Holding fewer than 4 fingers or toes
  • Coating the skin with any kind of substance or using gauzes or any kind of protective materials without the authorization of the Head medical officer and in agreement with the referee
  • Intentional grabbing of competition uniform and protection gear
  • Initiating an attack once both competitors are out of bounds
  • Strong verbal language (i.e. racist slurs) towards anybody present in the competition hall
  • Pretense of injury
edit: I got this from wiki so I'm not sure how accurate it is but I believe the rule about grabbing the throat.
edit 2: heel hooks? really? I thought those were allowed. I'm not sure I trust wiki
Whaaaattt
Heel hooks are definitely legal.
How often do refs even enforce this stuff anyway, like the slamming as a form of sub defence we see plenty and we've seen people be spiked before without much warning. There was even a thread on it today

A real champion vs #1 contender fight, I am stoked for it too. It's funny everyone I know that watches MMA refers to TJ as snake or snake in the grass it's fucking hilarious.

I feel Cody wins this. And Bisping beats GSP.

Nice 50 pound double.

Don't rear naked chokes put direct pressure (from the forearm) on the throat (windpipe)?

edit; I know punching the throat is illegal but I don't recall anything in the rules about chokes like the one in the gif.
It's about blood chokes vs. air chokes. Rear naked chokes are blood chokes, cutting off blood flow through the carotid artery to the brain. Any pressure on the windpipe is indirect. Air chokes, such as the stereotypical thumbs in the throat, cut off the air flow through the trachea. That's not allowed in MMA.

This is definitely my most anticipated fight that has been announced , Can't wait for it , I'm rooting for TJ and think he can get it done , the Guy is a great fighter very well rounded and is always looking to improve fight to fight .

for me, this is a classic situation where I am really looking forward to the fight and really dreading every aspect of the pre-fight yap yap.

the whole Alpha Team bitch drama is cringe worthy.

both fighters are inarticulate and slow witted (I don't know them. they may be really smart. but they don't talk good on tv)

on the sporting side, it is definitely the fight to make for that division. I thought that Cruz would handle Cody and so I have underestimated him recently. Maybe I am overreacting the other direction by favoring him now. I see Cody as the bigger and younger fighter with more power. His clear win over Cruz showed me that he can handle quicker "movement" fighters so I struggle to see where TJ has an advantage.

I will be cheering for TJ though. Hope that it is a good scrap

Back