Garbrandt/Dillashaw

B.R. Cantrell

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm looking more forward to this fight than GSP/Bisping, I think it's a genuinely good match-up physically, and their backstory/bad blood obviously goes back as far as TJ leaving Alpha Male, genuinely building since TUF 22. Who do you guys have winning?

Cody but I'm nervous. This the fight I have been waiting on for what seems like forever.

Cody by a late but flashy KO. It'll be a hell of a fight tho. Both guys will have their moments.

Great fight. It's up in the air who wins, but I'll go with TJ.

One of the best fights which could be made today based on skills.

Last edited:
It's a far better fight than Bisping/GSP. I favour Garbrandt. Dillashaw is there to be hit, and that's not a great thing against a genuinely good boxer with counter punching ability and pop like Garbrandt. I'd go as far as to predict a stoppage if Garbrandt doesn't do some shitty showboating when he floors him.

I'm rooting for TJ, I think he'll be able to take Cody down and keep him there.
Garbrandt really got on my nerves on TUF with his terrible insults and repetitive "bullying" which TJ took in stride.
Also, Duane Ludwig is a better coach then Faber, there I said it and I stand by it.

I'm rooting for TJ, I think he'll be able to take Cody down and keep him there.
Garbrandt really got on my nerves on TUF with his terrible insults and repetitive "bullying" which TJ took in stride.
Also, Duane Ludwig is a better coach then Faber, there I said it and I stand by it.

Why do you think that? Cruz arguably got the better of the wrestling and scrambles in their meeting, and Garbrandt likely got the better of the wrestling and scrambles against Cruz (not by any amount in either case as they mostly cancelled each other out, but you get my point).

I'd love it if Cody won by choking TJ out like that. Are those kind of chokes allowed?
I'm kind of joking but also kind of not joking, lol.
No, direct pressure on the windpipe is not allowed.

I just re-looked up the rules (wiki) and it is there:

Illegal actions[edit]
  • Strikes to the neck, throat, spine, kidneys, joints, groin, knees and below
  • Kicks and knees to the head in ground position (from either athletes)
  • Stomp kicks
  • Intentional breaking of bones or joints (i.e. not giving the opponent’s enough time to tap in submission situations)
  • Head butts, malicious cross faces
  • Biting
  • Eye, ear, or nose gouging, fish hooking
  • Pulling of hair, nose or ears
  • Spikes (i.e., standing throws onto the head or neck and landing onto the thrower’s knee)
  • Slams in defense of submission attempts and if opponent’s body is above waist level
  • Back splashes from standing position
  • Combination of joint locks and throws
  • Use of the fingers for throat/trachea choking techniques 19
  • Inside or outside heel hooks
  • Chin ripping
  • Neck cranks (crucifix, full-nelson, can opener, etc.)[citation needed]
  • Small joint manipulation
  • Holding fewer than 4 fingers or toes
  • Coating the skin with any kind of substance or using gauzes or any kind of protective materials without the authorization of the Head medical officer and in agreement with the referee
  • Intentional grabbing of competition uniform and protection gear
  • Initiating an attack once both competitors are out of bounds
  • Strong verbal language (i.e. racist slurs) towards anybody present in the competition hall
  • Pretense of injury
edit: I got this from wiki so I'm not sure how accurate it is but I believe the rule about grabbing the throat.
edit 2: heel hooks? really? I thought those were allowed. I'm not sure I trust wiki

Why do you think that? Cruz arguably got the better of the wrestling and scrambles in their meeting, and Garbrandt likely got the better of the wrestling and scrambles against Cruz (not by any amount in either case as they mostly cancelled each other out, but you get my point).

Yeah, I know, it's more a feeling/hope than an actual fact.
I also think that Cody overestimated Cruz and was surprised that he was able to do those things to Cruz and therefore got more confident and won, while I think that the opposite is going to happen with TJ, I think he underestimates TJ and will be surprised when he gets taken down or hit and lose his confidence. Kinda what happened in the coaches challenge on TUF, Garbrandt won on the beginning but then started losing, lost confidence and couldn't hit anything to save his life.
But like I said, it's more a hope than a certainty

I want TJ to win even though he mad dogged me irl once lol

I also think that Cody overestimated Cruz and was surprised that he was able to do those things to Cruz and therefore got more confident and won, while I think that the opposite is going to happen with TJ, I think he underestimates TJ and will be surprised when he gets taken down or hit and lose his confidence. Kinda what happened in the coaches challenge on TUF, Garbrandt won on the beginning but then started losing, lost confidence and couldn't hit anything to save his life.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of the coaching challenge, but there may be something to be said about Garbrandt not having proven either his durability or resiliency. I won't say that Dillashaw has passed either of those tests with flying colours, either, but he did show some resolve and adjustment against Cruz after having been somewhat outclassed in the early rounds. There are still question marks about Garbrandt (he got more or less KO'd in an amateur bout if I remember correctly, and while that's not wholly damning, it's still something to keep in mind), and those could come into play against a fighter as dangerous as Dillashaw.

I just re-looked up the rules (wiki) and it is there:

Illegal actions[edit]
  • Strikes to the neck, throat, spine, kidneys, joints, groin, knees and below
  • Kicks and knees to the head in ground position (from either athletes)
  • Stomp kicks
  • Intentional breaking of bones or joints (i.e. not giving the opponent’s enough time to tap in submission situations)
  • Head butts, malicious cross faces
  • Biting
  • Eye, ear, or nose gouging, fish hooking
  • Pulling of hair, nose or ears
  • Spikes (i.e., standing throws onto the head or neck and landing onto the thrower’s knee)
  • Slams in defense of submission attempts and if opponent’s body is above waist level
  • Back splashes from standing position
  • Combination of joint locks and throws
  • Use of the fingers for throat/trachea choking techniques 19
  • Inside or outside heel hooks
  • Chin ripping
  • Neck cranks (crucifix, full-nelson, can opener, etc.)[citation needed]
  • Small joint manipulation
  • Holding fewer than 4 fingers or toes
  • Coating the skin with any kind of substance or using gauzes or any kind of protective materials without the authorization of the Head medical officer and in agreement with the referee
  • Intentional grabbing of competition uniform and protection gear
  • Initiating an attack once both competitors are out of bounds
  • Strong verbal language (i.e. racist slurs) towards anybody present in the competition hall
  • Pretense of injury
edit: I got this from wiki so I'm not sure how accurate it is but I believe the rule about grabbing the throat.
edit 2: heel hooks? really? I thought those were allowed. I'm not sure I trust wiki

How come Rothwell was allowed to do his gogo choke? Is it because the fingers are not visible for the ref?

I'm feeling pretty confident neck tats will beat the breaks off tj. I think Cody is too fast, too strong and too, well just too alpha for tj to handle.

@Threetrees how you feel?

I want TJ to win even though he mad dogged me irl once lol
lol whats the story with that?

i bet you went to high five him and lifted your hand too high then he got angry.

Cody will not underestimate TJ. They have trained together and Cody has even said (IIRC) that TJ is skilled fighter (I think it was on Rogan's podcast but I maybe wrong).

lol whats the story with that?

i bet you went to high five him and lifted your hand too high then he got angry.
Haha no. Not much of a story. Accidently bumped into him (literally) at a pool in Vegas. I apologized and he just stared me down

Haha no. Not much of a story. Accidently bumped into him (literally) at a pool in Vegas. I apologized and he just stared me down
lol. i got a chuckle reading it. was his missus with him?

Back