Gap Psychology and President Trump

DickSarp

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Question: If your wealth totals $100, does that make you rich or poor?

Answer: If everyone else has $1, you are rich. If everyone else has $1,000, you are poor. and if everyone else has $95, you are well-off, but not rich.

Thus it is the Gap, between you and the rest — not your absolute wealth — that determines whether you are rich or poor. If there were no Gap, no one would be rich and no one would be poor, no matter how much money they had. “Gap Psychology“ is the name for the human desire to distance oneself from those below in any social ranking, and to near those above. "(an emotional aspect of the human psyhce)"
The Gap not only is widened by wealth, but by stigmatizing. As a justification for Gap Psychology, those in a different group often are stigmatized as being ignorant, immoral, lazy, or bereft of redeeming qualities. Gap Psychology is 100% selfish. It is a survival method. To members of a social species, there come individual Darwinian advantages from being associated with the fittest members.
Decency is the opposite of Gap Psychology. The decent person wishes to lift those below or outside the group, and does not find gratification in the downfall of the rich and powerful, or those outside the group.
All American Presidents exhibit strong symptoms of Gap Psychology, and all during my lifetime (since WWII) have had some measure of Decency — Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson were decent men. Nixon perhaps less so, but Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama were fundamentally Decent.

And then came Trump.

I suggest that Donald Trump, with his pathological urge for aggrandizement and credit, his compulsive lying, and his evading of all blame for everything, exhibits 100% Gap Psychology, and does not burden himself with Decency. He cares nothing for the poor and everything for his own image.
[W]e find the Republicans attempting to enact a half-dozen anti-poor, pro-rich laws to destroy Obamacare (ACA), and to widen the Gap with their many variations on tax “reform.” Trump’s repeated appointments of people to who have demonstrated antipathy to the missions of the agencies they lead, and his nominations to judgeships of people wholly unqualified to be judges, will have long-lasting, deleterious effects on America, particularly on the poor and middle classes.

In short, today’s Republican Party has tipped so far into Gap Psychology, it has lost even the semblance of decency. Like most of our past Presidents, Americans are fundamentally Decent. We root for the underdog. We are charitable. We despise unfairness. Trump is the opposite, as is today’s GOP. Thus, I believe, the GOP is out of step with America.

While Gap Psychology continues to exert a strong emotional pull on American voters, I suspect that our basic Decency will come to the fore, and that is very bad news for the GOP.

Rodger Malcolm Mitchell

https://mythfighter.com/2017/12/15/what-happens-when-gap-psychology-dominates-decency/

We are our brothers and sisters keepers. And you don't have to be Cain to know that.
If you are hungry I will feed you. If you are cold, come in my house. If you are lost, turn to me and we'll talk. We are in this together.

"Thus, I believe, the GOP is out of step with America"

LOL, then the democrats are out of step with reality...

Wat.jpg

Here I thought from the title this was going to be about the concept of relative deprivation. Being relatively wealthy compared to other people in a society puts you in a socially dominant position, which increases your reproductive opportunities. It's not about a lack of empathy, it's just a fact of life that people, especially males, have been competing with each other since the start of our species.

"Thus, I believe, the GOP is out of step with America"

LOL, then the democrats are out of step with reality...
The author, Mitchell, was a lifelong republican until the cancers of Gingrich and Armey et al. turned the Republican party into the Neo-Nazi party.

Wat.jpg

Here I thought from the title this was going to be about the concept of relative deprivation. Being relatively wealthy compared to other people in a society puts you in a socially dominant position, which increases your reproductive opportunities. It's not about a lack of empathy, it's just a fact of life that people, especially males, have been competing with each other since the start of our species.
There's that insightful incisive analysis we've come to expect from the Right. That's just the way it is...........smh

off topic but I like the watermark avatar

525369.jpg
I dig it

The puzzle to me is how they are so effective at getting support from the very working class they screw over. We know that the building of racial and class resentment is intentional and effective (throughout history even), but it surprises me that it still works. The most outrageously anti-working class person in America was able to convince tens of millions that he was actually the most pro-working class person.

The puzzle to me is how they are so effective at getting support from the very working class they screw over. We know that the building of racial and class resentment is intentional and effective (throughout history even), but it surprises me that it still works. The most outrageously anti-working class person in America was able to convince tens of millions that he was actually the most pro-working class person.
1. Most people aren't too bright
2. They seem willing to believe promises from politicians especially unrealistic promises

1. Most people aren't too bright
2. They seem willing to believe promises from politicians especially unrealistic promises
Are they like starving dogs, intellectually? Like they're grateful to just hear their master say "food" even though they never get any? It's such a weird abusive relationship, I don't understand why they put up with it.

So you just complimented the avatar without knowing the identity of the guy in the avatar?
I complimented the letters on the avatar. He took a stock image with a watermark on it and made it his avatar. I appreciate that.

Are they like starving dogs, intellectually? Like they're grateful to just hear their master say "food" even though they never get any? It's such a weird abusive relationship, I don't understand why they put up with it.
Tribalism.
The R leaning voters are told, like in Moore's case, that democrats are worse than a pedo.
The D leaners are told Republicans are evil.
And so it goes.

And then there are the FUCKING single issue voters who are wrecking the country

Read What's The Matter With Kansas?

False: you're poor if you can't meet your basic needs.
If your boss risks his assets to start a company he deserves to reap whatever rewards come from its success. Be thankful he was smart enough to grow a business that provided you with a job that carried literally no risk for you.

I complimented the letters on the avatar. He took a stock image with a watermark on it and made it his avatar. I appreciate that.

The oddness of Belgians... confirmed! :)

The guy in the avatar is Jack Cassidy, father of the recently deceased David Cassidy.

(The "joke" in my condolence was that the dad died in the 1970's.)

Sure lets employ equality psychology and end up like Venezuela.

Back