Ganryujima - July 23/2016 & July 31st/2016

any footage of the samurai mass battle thing?

any footage of the samurai mass battle thing?

I don't think so, but Kikuno was stabbed once with a sword and twice by dagger...

4c85c234076325c638e2c305400f29d6-4.jpg

http://ganryujima.jp/archives/3647

I wish I was the match maker for Ganryujima. I've got all sorts of ideas.

How about:

Savate vs. A mime in a box

A drunk biker vs. dunken fist Kung Fu

Karate vs An Elvis impersonator

Sakuraba vs Two chimpanzees with hammers.

Great to see that my man Kikuno isn't too bummed about his UFC run, right back in business fighting samurai.

And he is fighting a thai, classic Karate vs Muay Thai matchup straight from a shonen à la Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru, love it.
Can't say I've heard of his opponent though, hopefully he will be villainous enough that the brave karateka with that weird stance that totally psyched Andre Dida out (who had previously dished out a vicious first round again friggin Buakaw before losing a decision).
I love Dida and always root for him, but that Kikuno fight was brilliant.

Anyone could fill me up on his opponent?

Also

{Kiyoshi Tamura (UWF/MMA/Japan) vs. Elvis (Boxing/Zimbabwe)

Dang it, at first I had a vision of Nino "Elvis" Schembri (the man who first used the gogoplata in BJJ comp if I'm not mistaken... if Mark Coleman is the The Godfather of Ground & Pound, Elvis is the gogoplatagodfather; also blatantly headbutted Sakuraba in PRIDE, naughty naughty),
then Elvis Sinosic, Australia's pride, with that dude who got caught fixing fights and got trashed by Ninja after yelling at him during the staredow.
I like Sinosic, very good grappler.
But who is this Elvis from Zimbawe? He better have perfect sideburns, Tamura has aged pretty well compared to most of the guys from his generation... but he also fought less frequently than them, so there's that.

Really looking forward to this event, seeing a name like Kikuno on the main event cheers me up, I had a pretty rough time during his so-so UFC run.
And bring King Kaz/KazNak in there, I want less bullshit like volleyball and krav-maga, & more judo.

Good news all over, Japan needs as much MMA as they can, they were n¤1 once, the fight against the UFC is lost but they still could make great events once in a while like how Affliction started in the US, bring back the grappling exhibitions with aging legends (like they did with Fedor vs Aoki and Mousasi, it was a great idea I would have loved to see one of these at each event).
And plenty of other things.

But I haven't been to Japan since 2005, and I understand that MMA popularity took a huge hit after PRIDE folded, but when I went there PRIDE/K1 was the shit.
I hope they make JMMA great again. Not the best, but a solid number 2; like with the UFC and Strikeforce back when they were 2 different things.

Great to see that my man Kikuno isn't too bummed about his UFC run, right back in business fighting samurai.

And he is fighting a thai, classic Karate vs Muay Thai matchup straight from a shonen à la Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru, love it.
Can't say I've heard of his opponent though, hopefully he will be villainous enough that the brave karateka with that weird stance that totally psyched Andre Dida out (who had previously dished out a vicious first round again friggin Buakaw before losing a decision).
I love Dida and always root for him, but that Kikuno fight was brilliant.

Anyone could fill me up on his opponent?

Also

{Kiyoshi Tamura (UWF/MMA/Japan) vs. Elvis (Boxing/Zimbabwe)

Dang it, at first I had a vision of Nino "Elvis" Schembri (the man who first used the gogoplata in BJJ comp if I'm not mistaken... if Mark Coleman is the The Godfather of Ground & Pound, Elvis is the gogoplatagodfather; also blatantly headbutted Sakuraba in PRIDE, naughty naughty),
then Elvis Sinosic, Australia's pride, with that dude who got caught fixing fights and got trashed by Ninja after yelling at him during the staredow.
I like Sinosic, very good grappler.
But who is this Elvis from Zimbawe? He better have perfect sideburns, Tamura has aged pretty well compared to most of the guys from his generation... but he also fought less frequently than them, so there's that.

Really looking forward to this event, seeing a name like Kikuno on the main event cheers me up, I had a pretty rough time during his so-so UFC run.
And bring King Kaz/KazNak in there, I want less bullshit like volleyball and krav-maga, & more judo.

Good news all over, Japan needs as much MMA as they can, they were n¤1 once, the fight against the UFC is lost but they still could make great events once in a while like how Affliction started in the US, bring back the grappling exhibitions with aging legends (like they did with Fedor vs Aoki and Mousasi, it was a great idea I would have loved to see one of these at each event).
And plenty of other things.

But I haven't been to Japan since 2005, and I understand that MMA popularity took a huge hit after PRIDE folded, but when I went there PRIDE/K1 was the shit.
I hope they make JMMA great again. Not the best, but a solid number 2; like with the UFC and Strikeforce back when they were 2 different things.
Kikuno is fighting Kuntap Charoenchai, he lost to Toshikatsu Harada at the last Ganryujima event. I'm not really sure about his Muay Thai credentials and can't seem to find much on him.

Elvis Moyo is a WBF African champ (not sure if he still is since the South African boxing governing body banned him for participating MMA). He's 6-3 in MMA, fighting in EFCA. He's actually scheduled to fight for EFCA's HW title in October. The fight is supposed to be an homage to the 40th anniversary of Inoki vs Ali.

Last edited:
Kikuno is fighting Kuntap Charoenchai, he lost to Toshikatsu Harada at the last Ganryujima event. I'm not really sure about his Muay Thai credentials and can't seem to find much on him.

Elvis Moyo is a WBF African champ (not sure if he still is since the South African boxing governing body banned him for participating MMA). He's 6-3 in MMA, fighting in EFCA. He's actually scheduled to fight for EFCA's HW title in October. The fight is supposed to be an homage to the 40th anniversary of Inoki vs Ali.
Thanks for the info, but I don't see him on Harada's record, was it a kick-boxing bout, or a MMA exhibition?
And Harada's record is weird, 3-7 on the UG and 13-13 on Sherdog?

For his opponent, didn't find anything either, with them changing names when they switch camps it's a pain to get their real records...

And for Elvis vs Tamura, hopefully it won't be as boring as the real Ali vs Inoki bout ^^' the hommage is appreciated though.
So he Ko'd his last 2 opponent with punches, and Tamura can't use take-downs? (if it's the same rules)
He better have practiced his Inoki flying bali-bali low-kicks... but IMHO Tamura has always been an underrated striker, hopefully he will take this one.

Thanks for the info, but I don't see him on Harada's record, was it a kick-boxing bout, or a MMA exhibition?
And Harada's record is weird, 3-7 on the UG and 13-13 on Sherdog?

For his opponent, didn't find anything either, with them changing names when they switch camps it's a pain to get their real records...

And for Elvis vs Tamura, hopefully it won't be as boring as the real Ali vs Inoki bout ^^' the hommage is appreciated though.
So he Ko'd his last 2 opponent with punches, and Tamura can't use take-downs? (if it's the same rules)
He better have practiced his Inoki flying bali-bali low-kicks... but IMHO Tamura has always been an underrated striker, hopefully he will take this one.
The UG is a worthless database now (outside of some amateur events), both Sherdog and Tapology have far surpassed them (with Tapology being slightly better at this point, especially in non-US regions). The latter 2 both have him at 13-13-2. Neither of them have added Ganryujima events to their database and I don't expect Sherdog to, Tapology now has a special label to list the bouts under so they will likely start recording these events in their database. MMA fans have this weird thing where if it is too different from their idea of MMA rules then it isn't "real" MMA which is probably why Ganryujima can't be found in the major MMA databases.

Bump to remind people

7 · 31 Ariake Colosseum "# Ganryujima WAY OF THE SAMURAI public verification Final" CS broadcasting "Fuji TV NEXT / NEXTsmart" live premium!
- 7/31 (Sun) 15:00 to 20:00
- 8/02 (Tuesday) 11:00 to 16:00
- 8/11 (Thu) 25: 00 ~ 30: 00

I am disapointed in the lack of African tribal wrestlers. Otherwise seems pretty cool. For those who dont know, Tun Tun Min is the national champion of Burmese boxing, which is bare knuckle muay thai with headbutts. The Ali rules match should also be cool.

there is no legal way of watching this

This should be starting in an hour

@Asurah

Are you going to try and find a stream and watch it live?

Last edited:
I haven't found any footage yet from the MMA event, but there's video from the "battle"...

at 31:00 minute mark they show Kikuno's fight

Can't find any videos of the fights from Sunday yet....

Back