Game testers

facePuncher7

Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army
@Brown
Reaction score
I had the idea that it would be nice to have a handful of game testers, as lately I've been prototyping multiplayer gameplay mechanics.

Its not a paid gig, just looking for some people to play the game with and have them basically try to break it and give feedback while it's a prototype.
It may not be for a number of weeks, but I'll forget if I don't put it out there now.

Required:

* Discord
* A windows PC of at least average capabilities
* Some experience with competitive first person shooters (csgo, pubg, fortnite, overwatch)

Not necessary but would be cool if you had:

* Programming experience
* Deeper than average knowledge about FPS gameplay mechanics and strategy

If you're interested please PM me with your Discord info.

The official ufc hotdog brander and a six pack of Xyience and i'm in.

Lol maybe I'm asking in the wrong place. Ain't nobody got Xyience anymore.

...so do work for no compensation for an unknown game.

i'm in!

...so do work for no compensation for an unknown game.

i'm in!

By my wording I meant - it's not paid because it's not work, just looking for some people to play it and give feedback. Maybe my wording could be better.

Maybe you should give some information about your game?

Maybe you should give some information about your game?

Squad based first person shooter with hardline gameplay, very few rng elements. Shots always fire dead straight in line with centre crosshair, so there is always 100% first shot accuracy. Including a "debug replay" feature that shows bullet trajectories and hitboxes.

Emphasis on smart use of utility items, stealth, squad inventory management and weapon customisation throughout game rounds to execute plays.

All that being said, I didn't initially list features because they're all being modified frequently.

i’ll put it with the other 87 games i have on backlog

Reminds me of when people ask artists to work for free on their comic or game. "It will look good on your resume!"

Reminds me of when people ask artists to work for free on their comic or game. "It will look good on your resume!"

Don’t think it’s at all comparable to that. He’s asking for people to help him do an alpha or beta test. Nobody does that to put it on their resume. Unless you’re suggesting they do, in which case I should update my resume to include the fact that I participated in the Diablo II beta test back in 2000.

Don’t think it’s at all comparable to that. He’s asking for people to help him do an alpha or beta test. Nobody does that to put it on their resume. Unless you’re suggesting they do, in which case I should update my resume to include the fact that I participated in the Diablo II beta test back in 2000.
It's not specifically about the resume, it's just a trope for people from an art background in which laymen basically expect artists to do things for free. And it wouldn't be that outrageous for a teenager to put that on their cv for some part-time job.

Last edited:
Good luck. Properly QA testing a game isn't really fun, it's repetitive and monotonous. I don't know how many people you're going to get to sign up to do that for free. You might get some people who just want to fuck around with your game, but I wouldn't expect valuable feedback (i.e. instead of "I walked into the side room, and expected that I could open the chest, but the chest didn't open" you'll get lots of "game is broke lol")

A better approach is to find family or friends who are more vested in your success, and ask them for help. If you're in the very early stages, this should at least help you gauge interest as well as suss out technical bugs, but at this stage I'd worry less about technical perfection and more about finding the core, compelling game loop. People will deal with technical imperfection in a great game (Fallout), they don't care about how technical something is if it isn't fun (looking at you, No Man's Sky).

If you're in late stage development, it might be worth just opening the game up to beta and hoping you get good feedback. I've done this before: soft launch a game for free and then directly engage with the people playing. I would go into matches and talk to people about their experience. I'd be upfront about who I was, and generally the feedback was useful. This way has some survivorship bias, because I'm only talking with people who are playing the game and not the ones who stopped playing. But still, those sticky players have useful things to say.

There are also services you can look into using, like test.io if you're working on mobile. Not as cheap as free, but you'll get better results than just searching online.

Well, if you're trying to get a job in QA it would look better than nothing. If you've got a law degree, maybe leave the early access games off LinkedIn.

Well, if you're trying to get a job in QA it would look better than nothing. If you've got a law degree, maybe leave the early access games off LinkedIn.
Anecdotally, I have something about videogame modding and betatesting in my resume as a conversation piece. Came up over lunch for a law interview yesterday

Good luck. Properly QA testing a game isn't really fun, it's repetitive and monotonous. I don't know how many people you're going to get to sign up to do that for free. You might get some people who just want to fuck around with your game, but I wouldn't expect valuable feedback (i.e. instead of "I walked into the side room, and expected that I could open the chest, but the chest didn't open" you'll get lots of "game is broke lol")

A better approach is to find family or friends who are more vested in your success, and ask them for help. If you're in the very early stages, this should at least help you gauge interest as well as suss out technical bugs, but at this stage I'd worry less about technical perfection and more about finding the core, compelling game loop. People will deal with technical imperfection in a great game (Fallout), they don't care about how technical something is if it isn't fun (looking at you, No Man's Sky).

If you're in late stage development, it might be worth just opening the game up to beta and hoping you get good feedback. I've done this before: soft launch a game for free and then directly engage with the people playing. I would go into matches and talk to people about their experience. I'd be upfront about who I was, and generally the feedback was useful. This way has some survivorship bias, because I'm only talking with people who are playing the game and not the ones who stopped playing. But still, those sticky players have useful things to say.

There are also services you can look into using, like test.io if you're working on mobile. Not as cheap as free, but you'll get better results than just searching online.

I appreciate the advice.

I'm not looking for serious testing, I literally am just looking for people to play the game while I monitor it and debug, and "games broke lol" is good enough for me at this stage.

I have a group of people I know that have already played it a bit and help with testing but given its a 5v5 game I'm needing to reach out to get a handful more people to play.

Except in this case I am the artist working for free, what's your point?

Except in this case I am the artist working for free, what's your point?

You're the artist working for yourself for free, asking others to work for you for free. There is a difference there. You have something to ultimately gain from this, they don't. You need them, they don't need you.

I'm sincerely saying this to help you, because I think your beliefs and the reality of your situation aren't jiving. And if you want to succeed you need them to.

Back