Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: October 29, 2019

GAME OF THRONES Prequel Starring Naomi Watts Not Moving Forward at HBO

GTO1S8t.jpg

The untitled Game of Thrones prequel from Jane Goldman is not moving forward at HBO.

Said to focus on the "Age of Heroes" and the first-ever battle between man and White Walker, Goldman's project — which had filmed a pilot over the summer — will not be advancing to series, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. According to sources, Goldman e-mailed the cast to share the news. HBO, as it typically does on projects in development, declined comment.

The news comes shortly after word of HBO nearing a deal to produce a second pilot based in the world of Game of Thrones, from the minds of author George R.R. Martin and Ryan J. Condal. The series is said to focus on the reign of Targaryen kings in the lead-up to the events of Game of Thrones, aligning the vision of the project much more closely to the days of Jon Snow (Kit Harington) and Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) than the now-scrapped Naomi Watts-starring prequel — though still quite a bit earlier than the events of the Emmy-winning HBO series, which wrapped its final season in May.

Following the series finale, THR spoke with HBO's Casey Bloys for an update on timing for the next iteration in the Thrones franchise. His response at the time: "We're shooting the pilot in June, you can do the math and figure out when it would be on the air. What I'm not doing is working backwards by saying, 'This has to be on the air by this date.' We want to do the best show possible. This is a pilot, so we're doing it the old-fashioned way, which is shooting a pilot. My expectation is it will be great and we'll move forward and it'll move along on a regular TV timetable. I don't want to speculate any dates."

Featuring a sprawling cast including Watts, Miranda Richardson, Joshua Whitehouse, Marquis Rodrigez and more, Goldman's untitled Thrones prequel was said to take place during the Age of Heroes, thousands of years before the events of Thrones. In this period of Westeros history, the Seven Kingdoms weren't even a twinkle in the eye, as the continent was separated into dozens of their own kingdoms. It was an age dominated by heroic figures like Bran the Builder, credited with creating the Wall, and Lann the Clever, credited with founding House Lannister.

HBO's logline added: "Only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend — it's not the story we think we know." Now, it is a story that will not be told.

That HBO would pass on this Thrones prequel comes as a shocker, but is not totally out of the blue. The original pilot for what would become the premium cable network's biggest hit ever was originally reshot, recast and redeveloped. Sources say HBO wasn't thrilled with the final cut of the Watts-led pilot and asked for changes in edits before scrapping the entire thing. Still, expanding the world of Thrones remains a top priority for the pay cabler, which is under new parent company WarnerMedia (formerly AT&T). This is the first time HBO has ever revisited one of its scripted originals — announced before its Deadwood movie (which provided a proper ending for the series) and the upcoming Sopranos feature. Game of Thrones is a global mega-hit and huge revenue driver for the Casey Bloys-led network. The franchise is worth billions, with foreign sales and merchandising factored in.

HBO, for its part, has been on an aggressive buying spree as it looks to compete with billion-dollar streaming competitors from the likes of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and forthcoming Apple TV+, among others. The Throneslibrary will be a key asset for WarnerMedia's own arrival into the streaming wars, with HBO Max expected to launch in April.

The pilot pass arrives a day after Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss walked away from a planned trilogy of Star Wars feature films. The duo, who will be credited as executive producers on anything Thrones related at HBO, departed their overall deal with the premium outlet for a five-year, $250 million film and TV pact with Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-naomi-watts-led-prequel-dead-at-hbo-1250795

Update: October 30, 2018

Naomi Watts to Star in GAME OF THRONES Prequel from HBO

GpFpCct.jpg

HBO has found the cornerstone of its Game of Thrones prequel. Two-time Oscar nominee Naomi Watts has been tapped to star in the as-yet untitled project from creator Jane Goldman and George R.R. Martin.

The drama, picked up to pilot in June, is set thousands of years before the events of the HBO flagship. The story chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. A logline from the network teased the plot without divulging any specifics: "Only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend — it's not the story we think we know."

Watts will play a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret. The character's name is not being revealed.

The pilot is based on a story from Goldman and Martin, with the teleplay credited to Goldman. Goldman will also serve as showrunner. In addition to Goldman and Martin, executive producers on the series include current Game of Thrones producer Vince Gerardis, as well as Damages and Bloodline co-creator Daniel Zelman and Jim Danger Gray. Chris Symes will serve as a co-EP.

Goldman and Martin's Game of Thrones prequel is the first of several potential series set in the world of Westeros to move forward at HBO beyond the script phase. In May 2017, a multitude of writers were revealed by the pay cabler to be working on what Martin himself has described as "successor shows." Those writers include Goldman, Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island), Brian Helgeland (Legend), Carly Wray (Westworld) and Game of Thrones veteran Bryan Cogman. Game of Thrones creators and showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are not involved in the successor show effort, focusing instead on the forthcoming final season of Game of Thrones after more than a decade spent wandering the world of the Seven Kingdoms.

Speaking previously with The Hollywood Reporter, HBO programming president Casey Bloys said that any Game of Thrones successors, if greenlighted, would not air "until at least a year after the final season." The exec also added that he did not expect every one of the scripts to move forward beyond the page.

For her part, Watts has earned two lead actress Oscar nominations (for 21 Grams and The Impossible) and also counts starring roles in such films as Mulholland Drive, King Kong and Birdman. On the TV side, her credits include Showtime's Twin Peaks revival and Netflix's Gypsy, the latter of which she also executive produced. The actress most recently starred in Ophelia and will next appear in Once Upon a Time in Staten Island, The Wolf Hour, Boss Level and Luce.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/naomi-watts-star-game-thrones-prequel-hbo-1155246

Update: September 20, 2017

GAME OF THRONES Writer Bryan Cogman Developing a 5th Prequel Series

24Vm5os.jpg

There’s a fifth Game of Thrones prequel series in the works, and the project’s writer is a familiar name to the fantasy drama’s fans with a massive amount of Westeros experience.

EW can exclusively report that Thrones co-executive producer Bryan Cogman is penning a drama series follow-up to the Emmy-winning blockbuster. Cogmandeveloped the project by working closely with author George R.R. Martin, who cryptically referenced the existence of an additional unconfirmed prequel on his blog months ago.

Since GoT showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have declined to be involved with the prequels (and with Martin already involved two of the other four), Cogman is arguably the next-best possible addition to the prequel squad from the show’s current creative team.

Cogman has been with Thrones since the first season when he was brought on board as an assistant to Benioff and Weiss. While the GoT showrunners are the show’s hands-on chief executives who pen most of the scripts and occasionally direct as well, Cogman has written plenty of stellar episodes along the way and ranks as the show’s third-most prolific writer. Some of his hours include season 7’s intricately plotted “Stormborn,” season 4’s “The Laws of Gods and Men” (which featured Tyrion Lannister on trial) and season 3’s “Kissed by Fire” (which included Jaime Lannister’s bathtub confession to Brienne).

In a 2011 interview with Westeros.org, Cogman discussed in some detail how he joined the series and described the first (of many) times that he read Martin’s debut A Song of Ice and Fire novel. “I immediately fell in love with the book from page one, as most people do,” Cogman recalled. “It’s probably the most fun I’ve ever had reading anything. It’s inspired storytelling, that’s all there is to it, and the characters are so rich, the themes are so varied. I love it.”

Cogman was also the rare GoT producer to wade into the Twitter tempest to interact with fans, but quit the social network a month ago to focus on the show’s final season (and, unbeknownst to fans, this prequel project).

There are no specific story details yet available for any of the new GoT projects. But Martin has ruled out tackling Robert’s Rebellion (noting fans already know all the major plot points from that war anyway) or mining his Dunk & Egg tales (as they are still being written).

Also: All the prequel projects are set before the events in Game of Thrones and do not involve any members of the current cast (the term “spinoff” is frequently used to describe these projects though it’s not technically correct).

Like all TV projects in development, none of the prequels are guaranteed to air. HBO programming president Casey Bloys has said that he might only eventually greenlight one of them. The executive also recently said that any Game of Thrones prequel won’t air until at least a year after the flagship series concludes. GoT is expected to return for its final season in either late 2018 or 2019. So we’re probably looking at 2020 until we see a follow-up GoT title.

Game of Thrones Writer Bryan Cogman Developing a 5th Prequel Series

Update: July 26, 2017

GAME OF THRONES Spinoff Won't Air Until at Least a Year After the Final Season

imApcmT.jpg

HBO programming president Casey Bloys reaffirmed that he will not steal any thunder from the final season of Game of Thrones.

"The No. 1 priority in all of this is the final season of Game of Thrones. I don't want to do anything with a spinoff or anything that detracts or distracts from that," Bloys told reporters including The Hollywood Reporter after his time in front of the press Wednesday at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. "That season will happen, and my guess is it would be at least a year before you saw anything else. What I don't want is the attention to be drawn from the final season, which I think is going to be epic and amazing, and somehow have the distraction of a new Game of Thrones airing right after that. It's best to separate it and that's what we'll do."

Bloys' comments follow a July 12 interview with THR when the executive said he'd like to see at least one of the prequel series move forward. That's still the plan. "We'll be lucky to get one that hits and we're hopeful and we'll see," he said.

The eighth and final season — which will consist of six episodes — will not premiere until after showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss feel as if they are out of the woods in the production process. Bloys said Wednesday that the scripts for the final season "are written" and the showrunners are currently "boarding it all out" as they attempt to "get a sense for when they're going to shoot" the globe-trotting series.

Bloys reiterated that the final season would air on HBO — not in Imax theaters before subscribers see it — and that the running time for each of the six episodes is something he has spoken about with the producers. "I imagine they'll be longer but … I'm not sure [how long]," he said. "We haven't had that discussion yet because I don't know how long the episodes are going to be. Two hours per episode seems like it would be excessive, but it's a great show, so who knows?"

Given the success of the franchise — Game of Thrones is HBO's most-watched series ever — Bloys jump-started the development process by hiring writers to create four prequel series. None of them will feature current characters from the beloved fantasy drama. Thrones creator George R.R. Martin is involved in all four (potentially five) of what he calls "successor shows," while showrunners Weiss and Benioff will walk away from the franchise to focus on straight-to-series HBO drama Confederate.

Should one of the prequels move forward, it would mark the first time HBO has launched a spinoff from one of its preexisting programs. As it stands now, all four prequels are in their infancy, and Bloys has yet to see so much of an outline, let alone a script. As he told THR, he is in no rush to get one on the air and is committed to giving subscribers the eighth and final season and not using it as a platform to launch a new series.

A 'Game of Thrones' Spinoff Wouldn't Air Until "At Least a Year" After Final Season

Update: May 15, 2017

George R.R. Martin Reveals GAME OF THRONES Spinoffs are Prequels, Fifth Spinoff in the Works

nmdMM35.png

George R.R. Martin wrote on his LiveJournal page: "So while I was on the road out California way, the story broke about the four GAME OF THRONES spinoffs that HBO is developing. And of course the news has since spread everywhere, all over the web and all over the world.

Yes, it's true. More or less. Though, as is all too common these days, various distortions and misapprehensions have crept into some of the reports along the way. And television being the fast-moving business that it is, there have already been some further developments.

For what it's worth, I don't especially like the term "spinoff," and I don't think it really applies to these new projects. What we're talking about are new stories set in the "secondary universe" (to borrow Tolkien's term) of Westeros and the world beyond, the world I created for A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. It is a world, and a pretty big one, and if there were eight million stories in the naked city back in the 50s, just think how many more there are in an entire world, and one with thousands of years of recorded history.

None of these new shows will be 'spinning off' from GOT in the traditional sense. We are not talking Joey or AfterMASH or even Frazier orLou Grant, where characters from one show continue on to another. So all of you who were hoping for the further adventures of Hot Pie are doomed to disappointment. Every one of the concepts under discussion is a prequel, rather than a sequel. Some may not even be set on Westeros. Rather than 'spinoff' or 'prequel,' however, I prefer the term 'successor show.' That's what I've been calling them.

Yes, I am involved, and have been for months. I had my first meeting with HBO about the possibility of a successor show back in August, when I pitched them two possible series. (One of those is among the concepts being developed, one is not). In the months that followed, other writers were brought in and pitched other ideas. Ultimately HBO decided to go ahead with four separate developments, to be written by Max Borenstein, Jane Goldman, Brian Helgeland, and Carly Wray.

It was stated in some of the reports that I am working with two of the four writers. That's not quite right. I've actually been working with all four of the writers. Every one of the four has visited me here in Santa Fe, some of them more than once, and we've spent days together discussing their ideas, the history of Westeros and the world beyond, and sundry details found only in The World of Ice & Fire and The Lands of Ice & Fire... when we weren't drinking margaritas and eating chile rellenos and visiting Meow Wolf. They are all amazing talents, and I am excited to be working with them. In between visits, I've been in touch with them by phone, text, and email, and I expect there will be a lot more back-and-forth as we move forward.

And there's more. We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five. We have added a fifth writer to the original four. No, I will not reveal the name here. HBO announced the names of the first four, and will no doubt announce the fifth as well, once his deal has closed. He's a really terrific addition, however, a great guy and a fine writer, and aside from me and maybe Elio and Linda, I don't know anyone who knows and loves Westeros as well as he does.

Some of the reports of these developments seem to suggest that HBO might be adding four successor shows to the schedule to replace GAME OF THRONES. Decades of experience in television and film have taught me that nothing is ever really certain... but I do think it's very unlikely that we'll be getting four (or five) series. At least not immediately. What we do have here is an order for four -- now five -- pilot scripts. How many pilots will be filmed, and how many series might come out of that, remains to be seen. (If we do get five series on the air, I might have to change my name to Dick Direwolf).

The one goal that EVERYONE involved shares here is to make these new shows just as good as GAME OF THRONES itself. No easy task, mind you. David Benioff and Dan Weiss are a tough, tough act to follow, as all those Emmys demonstrate.

I can't tell you what the shows will be about (well, I could, but I won't), but I will tell you a couple of things they WON'T be. Which will disappoint some of you, sure, but better to do that now than later, I think.

We're not doing Dunk & Egg. Eventually, sure, I'd love that, and so would many of you. But I've only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write. We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move. I don't want to repeat what happened with GAME OF THRONES itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I've finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we'll do a tv show about them... but that day is still a long ways off.

We're not doing Robert's Rebellion either. I know thousands of you want that, I know there's a petition... but by the time I finish writing A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, you will know every important thing that happened in Robert's Rebellion. There would be no surprises or revelations left in such a show, just the acting out of conflicts whose resolutions you already know. That's not a story I want to tell just now; it would feel too much like a twice-told tale.

More than that, I will not say. Feel free to makes your guesses, if you like... but I am not going to be confirming or denying anything, so don't expect replies.

And yes, before someone asks, I AM STILL WORKING ON WINDS OF WINTER and will continue working on it until it's done. I will confess, I do wish I could clone myself, or find a way to squeeze more hours into the day, or a way to go without sleep. But this is what it is, so I keep on juggling. WINDS OF WINTER, five successor shows, FIRE AND BLOOD (that's the GRRMarillion, remember?), four new Wild Cards books, some things I can't tell you about yet... it's a good thing I love my work."

HBO Developing Four Different Spinoffs for GAME OF THRONES

E3LKnnN.jpg

HBO is doubling down — no, quadrupling down — on its epic quest to replace Game of Thrones.

The pay TV network is determined to find a way to continue the most popular series in the company’s history and has taken the highly unusual step of developing four different ideas from different writers. The move represents a potentially massive expansion of the popular fantasy universe created by author George R.R. Martin. If greenlit, the eventual show or shows would also mark the first time HBO has ever made a follow-up series to one of its hits.

Most of the assigned writers have experience writing major theatrical films, and Martin is personally involved in two of the projects. The show ideas are from Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Fox’s Minority Report); Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: First Class) along with Martin; Brian Helgeland (A Knight’s Tale, L.A. Confidential); and Carly Wray (Mad Men) with Martin.

HBO isn’t revealing any story details at this time other than that the shows “explore different time periods of George R. R. Martin’s vast and rich universe.”

Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have previously said they do not plan to be actively involved in any follow-up projects, but it turns out they will be attached to the new shows as executive producers.

How much of HBO’s Thrones development slate will actually end up on the screen is unknown. It’s possible one or more titles could be produced as a miniseries instead of a regular series. EW is told a variety of different combinations and options are on the table depending on how the scripts look upon completion. But the end goal is to find at least one title that can successfully carry the flame of the GoT franchise. “There is no set timetable for these projects,” HBO said. “We’ll take as much or as little time as the writers need and, as with all our development, we will evaluate what we have when the scripts are in.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/game-of-thrones-prequels-spinoffs/

Dunk and Egg, anyone?

Good shit. Hate spinoffs, but if any universe merits one, GoT is it.

Would love to see more of:
  • The Mad King
  • Robert's Rebellion
  • Young Mountain / Hound
  • Azor Ahai origin story
  • Qarth (the greatest city that ever was and ever will be)
  • Lyanna Mormont

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunk & Egg is one of them, without a doubt. And there's a good chance that another will be about Robert's Rebellion.

As for the other two, my guesses would be Aegon's Conquest and the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

The Dance of the Dragons would be another possibility if it didn't feature so many dragons. The FX budget would go through the roof with what... 17 dragons, if memory serves?

Aegon's Conquest would do nicely for a one off event. And the First Blackfyre Rebellion has so many interesting characters and intrigues before the fighting even starts that it could make for some interesting TV.

Dunk & Egg
Roberts Rebellion
Aegon's Conquest
Dance of Dragons

Age of heros would be the best shit ever. All the crazy knights and magic was at its highest point.

Dance of Dragons

I really don't think the Dance is viable.

On top of the FX costs, there's the fact that there's barely any heroic character in either side. Both the Blacks and the Greens were assholes.

Who is the audience supposed to root for?

Dunk & Egg was always gonna be a hard sell by itself. I don't think too many casual viewers give a flying fuck about Dany's great grandfather.

Roberts Rebellion is the easiest one to sell, and the one I'm most excited to see.

Age of heros would be the best shit ever. All the crazy knights and magic was at its highest point.

Not enough of a connection to the original series, I think.

4 spin off series is not enough. There's so many events and history. Just on this thread alone, people have named at least 6 events. There's so much more.

On top of the FX costs, there's the fact that there's barely any heroic character in either side. Both the Blacks and the Greens were assholes.

You root for the kids, Aegon and Viserys. You root for the queen who never was, Rhaenys.

Shit, Daemon can be a bit of an anti-hero too. Dude was scummy sometimes, but he was charming enough.

Ya but again have you read some of the clips from age of heros? They have some crazy ass shit

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Age_of_Heroes

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Symeon_Star-Eyes

im sorry this dude is freakin bad ass..

good. this needs to be done
lets pray they dont try it without grrm

Dunk & Egg was always gonna be a hard sell by itself. I don't think too many casual viewers give a flying fuck about Dany's great grandfather.

Roberts Rebellion is the easiest one to sell, and the one I'm most excited to see.

On the other hand Dunk & Egg is the easiest and cheapest to make.

Think about it, The Hedge Knight only needs a green open pasture for the tournament and can be filmed pretty much anywhere. No need to travel to Croatia or Morocco or any of that shit. For The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, you need just the one castle each and you're set.

The episodic nature of their adventure also means that you with the exception of the two leads you can get new and cheap cast members every season.

You root for the kids, Aegon and Viserys. You root for the queen who never was, Rhaenys.

Shit, Daemon can be a bit of an anti-hero too. Dude was scummy sometimes, but he was charming enough.

If people kept rooting for him after the Blood and Cheese incident I would lose all faith in humanity.

Old Valyeria ran shit for like 5 thousand years right? We could see some of the prime years... maybe even watch The Dðom go down

COME ON PEOPLE, OLD VALYERIA

latest

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting.

On one hand, as a big GoT fan and someone who just feels like we need more good fantasy adventure stories, I'm down for this. On the other hand, after six years in Martin's universe I'm kind of wondering if it's time to move on to something else.

On the other hand Dunk & Egg is the easiest and cheapest to make.

Think about it, The Hedge Knight only needs a green open pasture for the tournament and can be filmed pretty much anywhere. No need to travel to Croatia or Morocco or any of that shit. For The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, you need just the one castle each and you're set.

The episodic nature of their adventure also means that you with the exception of the two leads you can get new and cheap cast members every season.

If people kept rooting for him after the Blood and Cheese incident I would lose all faith in humanity.

Dunk & Egg tales, as stand alone stories, are kind of boring. They're nothing special. Only reason I like them is because I know who they will become, and the connection to the world of the main series. Especially the history of it all.

So yeah, it'll be cheap, but if it's just going to be a straight adaptation, I don't think it'll get any casual viewers too excited.

Back