Game of Thrones S07E01 Discussion Thread: And Now our Watch Begins (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really disappointed Mark Mylod directed the next two episodes. He's easily the worst director for the entire series.

I'm really disappointed Mark Mylod directed the next two episodes. He's easily the worst director for the entire series.
Did he have anything to do with season 5?

Did he have anything to do with season 5?

He directed 2 episodes in season 5: Sons of the Harpy and High Sparrow, and in season 6 he directed The Broken Man, and No One.

He directed the Waif T-1000 chase scene, which, if Maisie hadn't put her foot down it would have been even more ridiculous:

Williams explains that episode director Mark Mylod and his team wanted Arya's escape from The Waif in episode seven and subsequent chase in No One to be far more theatrical, but the actress maintained that it wasn't Ayra's style.
She said that in her mind, Ayra was really struggling, and wouldn't expend extra energy on pulling cool-looking stunts when she was just trying to stay safe:
"I wanted her to look like she was struggling. I didn’t want [the chase stunts] to be unnecessary or superhuman. I got on set and they were [going to have Arya] rolling around, and diving, and I was like, 'That looks amazing, but no.' I’d be like, 'Why would she run over there? She’d just duck under here and just get out.'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/...ie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

The whole reason Arya's actions towards the end of season 6 seemed out of character is because Mylod simply doesn't understand the character.

He directed 2 episodes in season 5: Sons of the Harpy and High Sparrow, and in season 6 he directed The Broken Man, and No One.

He directed the Waif T-1000 chase scene, which, if Maisie hadn't put her foot down it would have been even more ridiculous:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/...ie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

The whole reason Arya's actions towards the end of season 6 seemed out of character is because Mylod simply doesn't understand the character.

The director is supposed to know more about the characters than the actor. The multiple stab wounds in the abdomen followed by a dip in what's basically a sewer was difficult enough to believe.

That's a good question.

We have no way of knowing for sure since there are no footage of medieval duels obviously.

However there are actual footage of the last real duels ever documented using a smallsword on YT. If these are any indication, compare them with rapier or smallsword duels from movies and you will see that they are worlds apart. Also, there are some serious hema groups out there, where they focus on hitting the opponent without being hit. These ressemble real swordfights much more than what we see in movies. Nothing flashy, and every attack is done with the notion of not overcommiting or telegraphing.

All these flashy things we see in movies would get anyone killed very quickly in an actual fight.

Lastly, olympic sport épée (not foil or sabre, but épée), while under an unrealistic rule set, focus on the quickest, most effective attacks and parries. Again, just an indication of how body mechanics work IRL. They look like nothing out of a movie. Linear, no bullshit, where an actual attack is often barely understandable to the eye because they happen in a fraction of a second.

Just my 0.02 tho.
I beat up a larper with a foam broadsword once. Does that count?

The director is supposed to know more about the characters than the actor.

This is true in movies, but not as much in long-running TV series. It's one of the subtle differences between the two. Movies are a director's medium; TV is a writer's. Directors come & go, and in a long-running series like this where the actors often have a lot more experience with the material & sway with the production than the director of a particular episode, it's not uncommon for them to inform the director on things like this. In a movie, that dynamic is usually the reverse.

Wait, Dragonstone and Kings Landing are like a stones throw from each other?.......Thats going to escalate quickly....

The director is supposed to know more about the characters than the actor. The multiple stab wounds in the abdomen followed by a dip in what's basically a sewer was difficult enough to believe.

Not only that, but in the episode before (The Broken Man) Arya pisses off the faceless men, leaves the house of black and white and then skips around Bravos without a care in the world while flashing around bags of cash. After that episode people were thinking Arya set it all up or that it was not Arya because it was so out of character. Turns out this wasn't true. According to Mylod she just "let her guard down".

http://wikiofthrones.com/2097/game-thrones-director-says-arya-wasnt-scheming-let-guard-braavos/

This is true in movies, but not as much in long-running TV series. It's one of the subtle differences between the two. Movies are a director's medium; TV is a writer's. Directors come & go, and in a long-running series like this where the actors often have a lot more experience with the material & sway with the production than the director of a particular episode, it's not uncommon for them to inform the director on things like this. In a movie, that dynamic is usually the reverse.

I agree with this, but when your average casual fan understands the characters better than the director it's embarrassing. In just about every post episode interview he shows that he just doesn't understand the show.

Sheesh. Might have to include Ed Shareen in the next title somehow. Can't believe most of the talk on the episode has been on that one scene

It's because his last name is very close to Shireen and that brought back bad memories. Ed Shireen brings the feels.

Bobby B was ridiculously strong. I will say he never fought the greatest knights of his era. Or the strongest, so he might have just been can crushing.

Dayne lost to a can

<Baelish01>

3 of those were great episodes. No One was weaker because he went too far with the Arya stuff. But anyway, the trailer for the next 2 episodes looks interesting and there's going to be action. Plus, we get some

<codychoke>

Came here to post this. I remember watching Arya survive that and thinking, "So training with the Faceless Men gives you a Wolverine-level Healing Factor?":rolleyes:

Jamie is and always will be a villain. He's not capabale of being a good guy or hero. Look no further than last season when he said smugly " Oh she's still alive?" About Sansa and his ruthless conversation with Edmure about how he would do anything to be with his twin sister. The guy is fucked up and will go ultra villain again before the show ends. I hate him.
7 seasons and you still think in heros vs villains terms? this is not a fucking Marvel movie. Jaime is a complex character, in a position of power, in a ruthless world. of course he is going to do fucked up shit, when he deems it necessary. his talk with Edmure ended the siege, saving time, money and lives. Sansa is an enemy of his family, why should he care about her well being?

7 seasons and you still think in heros vs villains terms? this is not a fucking Marvel movie. Jaime is a complex character, in a position of power, in a ruthless world. of course he is going to do fucked up shit, when he deems it necessary. his talk with Edmure ended the siege, saving time, money and lives. Sansa is an enemy of his family, why should he care about her well being?
Don't tell me how to interpret and enjoy Game of Thrones. Yes, I do feel The Lannisters are and have always been the least noble household. Backstabbing (literally) lies deceit incest corruption I could go on. Has Jamie improved since season 1. Yes. Does that mean he's redeemed himself and his house from impunity and the cast of villainous/bad? Hell no! Calling Jamie the best Lannister is like an oxy moron. I fucking hate Jamie's charector and anyone who shares his selfish characteristics. Can't wait till he dies a brutal death hopefully courtesy of Bran if he wargs into a dragon.

Don't tell me how to interpret and enjoy Game of Thrones. Yes, I do feel The Lannisters are and have always been the least noble household. Backstabbing (literally) lies deceit incest corruption I could go on. Has Jamie improved since season 1. Yes. Does that mean he's redeemed himself and his house from impunity and the cast of villainous/bad? Hell no! Calling Jamie the best Lannister is like an oxy moron. I fucking hate Jamie's charector and anyone who shares his selfish characteristics. Can't wait till he dies a brutal death hopefully courtesy of Bran if he wargs into a dragon.

You've been told, son.

Wipe the tears from your eyes, learn from your mistake, move on and become a better person.

You are very welcome.

Yes, I do feel The Lannisters are and have always been the least noble household. Backstabbing (literally)

That backstabbing saved half a million lives.

And started the war. Go be on team Lannister all you'd like but I'll never take a knee to those southern bastards.

Dude jumped in a pit with a fucking bear, just to save a giant lesbian

You can't write Jaime off as a simple villain without seeming a little simple yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back