Game of Thrones S07E01 Discussion Thread: And Now our Watch Begins (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says you, man.

I'm on board the moment they announced that GRRM is on board as co-writer.
They shouldn't make anymore of his work into TV shows until he finishes the fuckin' books.

I don't know, I think Selmy would shit his pants like Rhaegar probably did. Robert was too small on the show.

Rhaeger-Killed-By-Robert-Baratheon-862x1200.jpg
idk...an older selmy didnt give a shit about the kingsguard and told the boy king what was up...even ssying he could cut through five of them easily

plus all the harpys he took out without armor on before dying

in their Prime, who would in a 1on1 battle? Robert Barathon or Arthur Dayne?
Robert is kind of at an unfair disadvantage with most people since we haven't seen him fight on the show. Also to people saying how easily he would lose to both the lesser fighter can often win all it takes is one mistimed stroke or a slip and you're done. Luck plays a big factor. Oberyn was still in momentary trouble against the mountain at points in their duel despite being the better fighter. Had someone not been there to throw an extra spear when he was disarmed or had he landed more awkwardly when he was knocked to the floor it could have been over without his big mistake.

They shouldn't make anymore of his work into TV shows until he finishes the fuckin' books.

I bet in another 20 years, GRRM's entry in the encyclopedia will be that he never finished the novels. The TV series serves as a the only official end to the series.

And the Hound is Azor Ahai. And Beric's flaming sword really is Lightbringer. All GRRM subverting trope.

Robert is kind of at an unfair disadvantage with most people since we haven't seen him fight on the show. Also to people saying how easily he would lose to both the lesser fighter can often win all it takes is one mistimed stroke or a slip and you're done. Luck plays a big factor. Oberyn was still in momentary trouble against the mountain at points in their duel despite being the better fighter. Had someone not been there to throw an extra spear when he was disarmed or had he landed more awkwardly when he was knocked to the floor it could have been over without his big mistake.

Sword fight IRL look nothing like GoT or movies in general.

Fighters are much more careful, attacks are much more compact, etc.

And yes IRL duels often resulted in both fighters dying, just to illustrate the randomness.

That being said, there are countless examples of fighters with many duels experience, which means that technique AND experience played a huge role, even if in swordplay the shittiest fighter can beat the best in the world with some luck.

And yes IRL duels often resulted in both fighters dying, just to illustrate the randomness.

That being said, there are countless examples of fighters with many duels experience, which means that technique AND experience played a huge role, even if in swordplay the shittiest fighter can beat the best in the world with some luck.
That duel was definitely inspired by Hamlet, with the poisoned weapon and both participants dying. Yeah I'd favour the more skilled fighter more often than not, I just don't think it's the foregone conclusion some people were making it out to be like a computer algorithm.

That duel was definitely inspired by Hamlet, with the poisoned weapon and both participants dying. Yeah I'd favour the more skilled fighter more often than not, I just don't think it's the foregone conclusion some people were making it out to be like a computer algorithm.

Absolutely. There is no margin of error in swordfighting.

If your opponent swings his sword in an unexpected way, and you happen to be at exactly the wrong place at the wrong tenth of second, it means that your hand is incapacitated, or you got thrusted in the face and lost an eye, or got cut in the throat and loosing blood, etc.

These bad lucks usually don't result in sudden death, but are enough to mess someone enough to not be able to continue defending oneself.

I disagree. Jaime is still exactly the same guy: a morally-ambiguous person straddling between light and dark, whose actions depends on the agenda of the day and what the situation calls for.

If required, he'd still gladly throw a child out of the window now, or save one from being harmed.

He will never be as good as Jon, who go out of his way to do good thing for people who might not even deserves it, nor will he ever descend to the same level as his sister, who actually finds joy in doing evil shit to good people.
Jamie is and always will be a villain. He's not capabale of being a good guy or hero. Look no further than last season when he said smugly " Oh she's still alive?" About Sansa and his ruthless conversation with Edmure about how he would do anything to be with his twin sister. The guy is fucked up and will go ultra villain again before the show ends. I hate him.

Jamie is and always will be a villain. He's not capabale of being a good guy or hero. Look no further than last season when he said smugly " Oh she's still alive?" About Sansa and his ruthless conversation with Edmure about how he would do anything to be with his twin sister. The guy is fucked up and will go ultra villain again before the show ends. I hate him.

Completely missed the point of the character..........

in their Prime, who would in a 1on1 battle? Robert Barathon or Arthur Dayne?

Styles make fights. Dayne is the best swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms. The problem he has is Robert's choice of weapon. Good as Dayne's swords are, they're not Lightsabers. They can be blocked by other blades and deflected off a knights armour. Robert would have worn the best armour money could buy, which means Dayne would have to pick his shots. He would have to aim for the weak points in Robert's armour, such as the joints.

By contrast, a war hammer will cause serious damage to whatever part of the body it hits. Especially when weilded by a man of Prime Robert's monsterous strength; think Eddie Hall, but with a gas tank and years of combat training and battlefield experience. A blow to the arm will snap the limb, a strike to the torso will crack ribs or stave in a man's sternum. It doesn't even need to be on target. A glancing blow to a Knight's helmet will at the very least stun him.

Dayne is faster and more skilled. Robert is stronger, has a reach advantage and carries a weapon specifically designed to kill fully armoured Knights.

While Dayne is the favourite, I don't think it's anywhere near as clean cut as a lot of people believe. He has to kill Robert before he can land the one shot he needs to win the fight.

As far as redemption, Jaime is still more in that grey area, because he loves Cersei and is still by her side at the moment. He's had some redemption, mostly due to humility after years captive and having his hand sliced off.

The Hound killed the butchers boy on Joffrey's orders, and other than stealing the family's silver, that might be the worst and only really bad thing he ever did in the series. He saved Sansa from being raped and murdered numerous times, he saved Loras, he offered to take Sansa out of KL and bring her home, helps and protects Arya for awhole year, etc. I think he's always had a conscious, it's just he always did what he was told until the very moment he proclaimed "FUCK THE KING!"

He's gone total baby face, unlike Jaime. Jaime's still a tweener.

What does a real sword fight look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back