Game of Thrones S07E01 Discussion Thread: And Now our Watch Begins (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was really lame.

The whole episode was filled with nothing, nothing in the story progressed.

Normally this wouldnt be a big deal, but with 6 to go, im not sure wtf was the point.

Honestly it feels like one week progressed in the GoT world, everyone from the north is still at Winterfell, Dany going to Dragonstone is no surprise.

I get that its episode 1, but it really felt mehhh, the director was really meh on this one.

Snow fucking p4p boss. Sansa again teasing the Littlefinger manipulation- potential rift, but I still think she's wise enough not to be fooled completely into screwing over Jon.

Real solid episode in my opinion. Not one of the best, of course, but did what a season opener should do- set up the narrative for the rest of the season.

Can't really think of a single scene that wasn't good. Loved The Hound BWB stuff, Arya opening was perfect, scene with Sheeren and co. was a good counteproint- Arya encounters Lannister men but sees that they are just rank and file and not evil just by virtue of their banner.

Jaime and Eurone exchanges were solid.

Sam gonna cure Friendstone.

Edd- legit as hell.

Looking forward to seeing where we go next.

I was hoping to see Gendry in the first episode, I think he's probably gone from the tv series.

It's confirmed that he will return this season, although in which capacity I'm not sure. Probably finds the BoB at some point

I suspect Arya's scene serves a purpose. The Lannister soldiers treated her well and had some good stories about home. Whether she kills them will indicate if she's completely cold blooded or not.

Exactly this. I think it was meant to underscore that even though we know the power wielders can be either merciful or brutal, the rank and file are often just people who have normal lives and have to fight for a side based on where they were born, etc. If Arya kills them- after them being nothing but kind to her- it might show that shes gone beyond the beyond.

That was really lame.

The whole episode was filled with nothing, nothing in the story progressed.

Normally this wouldnt be a big deal, but with 6 to go, im not sure wtf was the point.

Honestly it feels like one week progressed in the GoT world, everyone from the north is still at Winterfell, Dany going to Dragonstone is no surprise.

I get that its episode 1, but it really felt mehhh, the director was really meh on this one.

Podeswa has always been one of the weaker directors. Or maybe he gets the shittiest writing.

Just rewatched the episode. I noticed how Jon talked about how traitors should be treated. Any chance ANYONE from ANY house might try to make Jon Snow sound like a traitor for "abandoning" the Knight's Watch? I'm pondering, it's an angle that could be used.

Euron looks like a giant can. Hope someone kills him soon.
Agreed with the first part but let's give him some time to adjust to the big leagues. Might have some octagon jitters, he's not whipping cans in WSOF anymore.

Exactly this. I think it was meant to underscore that even though we know the power wielders can be either merciful or brutal, the rank and file are often just people who have normal lives and have to fight for a side based on where they were born, etc. If Arya kills them- after them being nothing but kind to her- it might show that shes gone beyond the beyond.
She's killing them.

My P4P Rankings

1. Jon Snow - After a short stint on the IR, he came back with a vengeance. He took on the great and undefeated Ramsay Bolton in the Battle of the Bastards and won via brutal GnP. King in the North, and King of the P4P list.
2. The Night King - Almost everyone is ducking him. The icy fucker even has giants in his army. Can he be beaten? Who will dare try?
3. The Hound - Yeah, he made a mistake by taking a fight on very short notice (hell, he was mid-shit when he took the fight), and was below 50% at the time, but he still gave Brienne everything she could handle even with her advantage of elite armor and sword. He retired for a bit, but then came out of retirement and showed that you don't fuck with his friends. Appears to be one of the very few heading towards the Night King.
4. Zombie Mountain - Had an extended stay on the IR, but returned better than ever. He's all about crushing skulls, ripping heads off, and making people piss themselves. Made Septa "Shame" Unella his bitch. Such a threat that the king banned trial by combat.
5. Arya - She had an extended training camp at the House of Blackzilians and Whitezilians where she racked up some impressive wins over Meryn Trant and fellow HoB&W prospect, the Waif. She returned to Westeros with vengeance and wiped out House Frey.
6. Brienne - Made her name off of facing people when they're at their lowest. I'm kind of surprised she didn't show up at Winterfell and kill Ramsay after he was beaten and imprisoned. Spends her time failing to protect people, being an unlikable brute of a woman, and training up-and-comer, Podrick Payne.
7. Grey Worm - Took out the Sons of the Harpy except for the few he left for Selmy. The man with no fear went on the IR for a bit, but came back and showed he's returned to form in the finale by quickly executing 2 of the rich masters.
8. Tormund - Veteran with many wins, most recently and notably defeating Smalljon Umber via neck bite and follow up strikes at the Battle of the Bastards.
9. Dario - The Ben Askren of Game of Thrones. We've never seen him lose but drops in the rankings due to a lack of competition. Dany (Dana) doesn't want him in Westeros (the UFC).
10. Bronn - Took a hit when he traveled to Dorne, and hasn't really had a chance to redeem himself yet. In need of the bad pussy?

Other contenders:

Euron Greyjoy
Jorah Mormont
Meera Reed
Benjen Stark
Podrick Payne
Beric Dondarrion
Sand Snakes

Great list. I'm on board.

Agreed with the first part but let's give him some time to adjust to the big leagues. Might have some octagon jitters, he's not whipping cans in WSOF anymore.

Got a spoiler about his ceiling but am going to shut up.

Arya has become a great assassin that was brutal.

So much feces for maester tarly

Lol at the corpse with the giant liver.

Last edited:
I think she will come to like them, then they will try to rape her or something and she kills them all and then at that point just becomes a ruthless unemotional killer.
I think she doesn't want to kill them but then she has a dream in which she wargs Nymeria and kills the soldiers

5. Arya - She had an extended training camp at the House of Blackzilians and Whitezilians where she racked up some impressive wins over Meryn Trant and fellow HoB&W prospect, the Waif. She returned to Westeros with vengeance and wiped out House Frey.
9. Dario - The Ben Askren of Game of Thrones. We've never seen him lose but drops in the rankings due to a lack of competition. Dany (Dana) doesn't want him in Westeros (the UFC).
tenor.gif

I'm sure he's talking about Tyrion

Absolutely agree. He didn't say as much but I immediately assumed he meant to bring her Tyrion's head. Hope he and the Iron Cans get absolutely trounced by Yara/Theon, dragons and co. Complete doucher who thinks he's better than he is.

Looks like Jon is off tosee Dany, which is gonna be dope. Also means he'll be seeing Tyrion, and maybe Theon.

I'm a bit disappointed with Arya's arc so far. I thought she was headed home, because she told Jaqen, "I'm going home".

Now she's going in the opposite direction to kill Cersei? Not sure I can get behind Cersei being killed by Arya in stealth mode.
I took "home" as westeros, no?

Was def satisfied with this episode. First half hour was so much omg omg omg omg omg omg omg,i could barely stand it.

as if the night's watch would let this irish looking mofucka be their lord commander

*modasoka

Eddison Tollet aint irish...e's...e's...a Valeman,is wot 'e is.

Where has Howland Reed been this whole time?

He's been watchin the show like all of us!

cuz that's where poops go.

Where do whores go?

The part where someone tells Jon that "a Targaryan can not be trusted" is interesting. Is he referring to Jon, and if so how was it revealed?

That someone is Yohn Royce,the bannerman of House Aryn.

I wonder if BFT will head with Tormund onto Eastwatch.

As for the wildlings, no fuckin way would I go man the wall. Get out of the north only to go back up and defend the south who wanted you to die via wights? Never. I'd run to Essos if I could, or anywhere.
Tormund cant live up to his name if he has no Giants to fight. He saw the earlier scene with the walkers and he was all
<GOT2><GOT2><GOT2>

I've been waiting since like 2005 to see some Freys get murdered in mass so this episode had me like

fuck. I keep fuckin' up the gif.

*insert Andy Samberg orgasm gif here*

Seeing Walder in the opening scene was sooooo LOLWUT? O YEA

I thought the Sam scenes were great, must of been the only one. This show needs some levity and some comic relief. He provides that. The montage of him collecting the Maesters bedpans and pouring the stew or w/e that was, was hilarious.

Samwell thinking he would have it good on easy st.at the Citadel.

I guess there's an infirmary there too, hence why you know who was there.

The ending with Danny was meh. No dialogue and just walking around a set we already know. Waste of time honestly.
Sam the slayer's scenes were dope. I esp like the exchange he had with the the guy in the autopsy room. Friendstone is so deep in the friendzone that no light can reach it apparently.

I was hoping to see Gendry in the first episode, I think he's probably gone from the tv series.

Its to setup the plot for the next episodes since we know he couldn't have given her anything at that time and was preoccupied with building a new fleet of ships. Euron would've known that his plan with Dany was foiled with Dany being allies with his niece+nephew.
They gotta bring Gendry back at some point. He has to run into Arya at kings landing or somewhere along the way.

Fucking lol @ Friendstone. Chilling in a dungeon, waiting for Khalessi to come home.

What the fuck is he gonna do when she gets there? Run off to see her looking like Geodude?

hahah. my guess is he's just already resigned himself to death but is hoping that he can live to see Khaleesi take Westeros. Sam stealing texts and shit though probably going to find the cure to Greyscale. I thought Gilly and little Sam couldn't stay with him at the Citadel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back