GAMBIT Movie (Gore Verbinski No Longer Directing; Lizzy Caplan Joins Cast)

I can see all the fanboys now shitting all over Tatum as Gambit just because girls like him. I can see him as Gambit and think he'll do the character justice.

I'm fine with Tatum, I just think he's going to get his own movie and I'd rather see Gambit in an Xmen movie.

I'm fine with Tatum, I just think he's going to get his own movie and I'd rather see Gambit in an Xmen movie.

True. My only real knowledge of the character comes from the 90's cartoon so I don't know if he has the depth to carry an entire movie. His interactions with the other X-men like Rouge and Wolverine were always great.

Ian Somerhalder would have been my first choice from the current actors to play Gambit.

Still not 100% sold on Tatum as Gambit but willing to give him a shot.

Update: May 13, 2014

Channing Tatum Confirmed as Gambit in Future X-MEN Films

Gambit Will Appear in APOCALYPSE; Gets His Own Solo Movie

Channing-Tatum-Gambit-051314-Dragonlord.jpg

Channing Tatum has signed on to star in an X-Men spinoff centered on the character Gambit, THR has confirmed. News that the 22 Jump Street star would tackle the role last played by Taylor Kitsch broke when X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner revealed the move to Total Film on the red carpet in London Monday night, where the current X-Men movie, Days of Future Past, was premiering.

Multiple sources say that Tatum will get a stand-alone spinoff, with his version of Gambit being introduced in X-Men: Apocalypse. The stand-alone film is still in development, however, and no director has been attached. The news that one of Hollywood's most in-demand stars is joining the franchise offers a relief to the X-Men team. Director Bryan Singer previously teased that he was planning on bringing Gambit (and Nightcrawler) into the fold for X-Men: Apocalypse in 2016, so expect to hear even more details on Tatum's casting as they enter negotiations.

When asked if there were other X-Men stories she's itching to tell, Donner simply said "yeah," but couldn't reveal further details except to hint that one secret film was in the works. "There's one I'm really itching to tell you about but I can't," she told THR Saturday night. "You're gonna like it though. I guarantee you. It's really different, but you're going to like it."

Channing Tatum Confirmed as Gambit; Will Appear in X-Men: Apocalypse and Solo Film

Good to hear. I love these characters but they work better as a group than they do as individuals in my opinion.

Oddly I feel the exact opposite about Batman/Supeman.

Good to hear. I love these characters but they work better as a group than they do as individuals in my opinion.

Oddly I feel the exact opposite about Batman/Superman.

I kinda agree with you.

Rama and I have the same opinion that Wolverine is more optimal if he wasn't the star/main focus in the X-Men movies.

Gambit as a thief could work as a stand alone movie. Gambit has a pure action movie will fail.

Channing Tatum? What a joke! Why does Hollywood continue to besmirch Gambit by casting shitty actors?

Channing does look the part and would certainly bring the female audience. Not sure if he can do an accent though. He better hire a awesome voice coach.

Channing has the look but he's a terrible actor and won't be able to pull off a cajun accent. My fave mutant just got besmirched.

My fav mutant just got more than besmirched, got drawn and quartered more like.

Tatum looks like Gambit in the face but he's just too big. Guy needs to drop a lot of mass to properly do the character.

That's a big reason I've never liked the X-Men movies. Unlike Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, etc, it seems the people behind X-Men go out of their way to cast big name stars instead of people that are best for the part.

Not a fan of the casting but I'll keep my hopes up.

How unbelievably awesome would it be to have a superhero heist movie set in New Orleans? I'm sure they'll fuck it up somehow... (I realize that's contradictory to keeping my hopes up.)

Tatum looks like Gambit in the face but he's just too big. Guy needs to drop a lot of mass to properly do the character.

That's a big reason I've never liked the X-Men movies. Unlike Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, etc, it seems the people behind X-Men go out of their way to cast big name stars instead of people that are best for the part.

I think you're the first person I've seen on the internwebz to say that someone is to BIG for a comic book role (besides Hugh Jackman for Wolfy).

Most people always bitch that the actor is to small or not busty enough or not enough mass, for other comic book roles, blah blah blah.

If you ask me I think he's the perfect build. He's even got the look. He's just got terrible inflection's and subtleties in his performances and is just generally a bad actor and plus he's not french. I mean they couldn't find a good french actor (unknown or not) to play him?

Doubt that solo Gambit movie ever gets made.

If so it'd turn into another Wolverine blow fest.

Lol at Channing Tatum being too big. He looks like an avg "bro" at the gym where every day is arms and abs day.

Gambit always gives off a lean vibe despite being built like a greek god. It must be the trenchcoat.

Ooph. Tatum is great but I can't see Gambit ever working on screen. He's such a goofy character. Plus if they keep the Singer aesthetic it's going to look awful.

Hope I'm wrong tho.

Back