GAMBIT Movie (Gore Verbinski No Longer Directing; Lizzy Caplan Joins Cast)

Gambit's origin is actually pretty movie friendly. I wonder if they'll use this to introduce Sinister?

They'll probably make him look like a somber circus clown.

Update: August 6, 2015

Frontrunners for Female Lead in GAMBIT Movie Revealed

Rebecca-Ferguson-Lea-Seydoux-Abbey-Lee-Dragonlord.jpg

Now that Channing Tatum (Magic Mike) is officially on board to play the card-tossing mutant in 20th Century Fox's Gambit, director Rupert Wyatt needs to find Tatum a leading lady. According to Deadline, Rebecca Ferguson, Lea Seydoux, and Abbey Lee are all competing for the coveted role of Belladonna Boudreaux aka Bella.

In the comics, Bella Donna and Gambit (aka Remy LeBeau) were childhood friends, even though their families came from rival Guilds, Assassins and Thieves, respectively. As they got older a marriage was arranged between the two in hopes of uniting the Guilds. Things go sour when Bella's brother challenges Gambit to a fight to the death. Once Remy won, he got booted from New Orleans and left without Bella Donna.

Ferguson, 31, is the Swedish actress that gave a standout performance in Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. Abbey Lee Kershaw, 28, is an Australian supermodel that has successfully transitioned into acting with a breakout role in Mad Max: Fury Road. Then there is, Lea Seydoux. The 30-year-old French actress has earned high-praise for her performances in Blue is the Warmest Color, Midnight in Paris and The Grand Budapest Hotel. She also appear in the upcoming Bond film, Spectre.

Rebecca Ferguson, Lea Seydoux and Abbey Lee Up for Female Lead Role in 'Gambit'

Lea Seydoux should get it. At least she's french. Abbey Lee was hot in Mad Max, no doubt, but I don't know if she can act. She had like 3 lines in that movie. Rebecca Ferguson, don't know her resume, but I heard she's fantastic in MI:5. Gonna go see it soon. Jury is still out. So out of the 2 I've seen I'd go with Seydoux.

Is Channing Tatum going to be able to keep up with a French Actress's accent? Remy Lebeua had a pretty thick creole accent, no?

After seeing Foxcatcher I have complete faith in Tatum. Wow, can't believe I actually typed that....and meant it!

Pah accents. The American film method is to do a real thready accent for the first ten or so minutes, which you can just bang out in ADR, and then you coast on good looks for the rest of the film.

Pah accents. The American film method is to do a real thready accent for the first ten or so minutes, which you can just bang out in ADR, and then you coast on good looks for the rest of the film.

Story of my life.

Update: August 24, 2015

Lea Seydoux Offered the Female Lead Role in GAMBIT Movie

Lea-Seydoux-Belladonna-Assassins-Guild-Gambit-Dragonlord.jpg

Lea Seydoux has the offer to star alongside Channing Tatum in Fox

I really hope Hollywood lets go of this comic book fetish sooner than later.

Update: September 16, 2015

Channing Tatum's GAMBIT Movie Loses Director Rupert Wyatt

Rupert-Wyatt-Gambit-091615-Dragonlord.jpg

Director Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) has fallen off Gambit, the Channing Tatum X-Men spinoff being made by Fox. One source told The Hollywood Reporter that a changing script caused the film's budget to be larger than expected, extending the shoot, and prompting the push. Another source said that the shooting schedule around Mardi Gras caused the reshuffling. Either way, it became a conflict for Wyatt, who had to exit.

"I was very much looking forward to working with my friend Channing and the team at Fox, but regrettably a push in the start date now conflicts with another project," said Wyatt in a statement. "I thank them for the opportunity, and I know that Gambit will make a terrific film."

Fox will move quickly to put a director in place, and they are still fully committed to the film. Tatum is starring with Lea Seydoux, who plays Bella Donna Bourdreaux. Josh Zetumer penned the script for the film, based on a treatment by Gambit co-creator Chris Claremont. Tatum, Reid Carolin, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producing.

Wyatt directed the franchise reviving Rise of the Planet of the Apes and then followed with the remake of The Gambler that starred Mark Wahlberg. Gambit was scheduled to shoot down in the French Quarter in early spring and is scheduled for released on October 7, 2016.

Director Rupert Wyatt Exits Gambit Movie Due to Script Changes and Film's Budget

Gambit is a great character. I hope this movie turns out well. I still have the first appearance of Gambit tucked away in my closet. It's probably the coolest of the comics I've got left in my stash from when I was younger.

613WGbMtfDL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Update: September 30, 2015

Possible Reason Why Director Rupert Wyatt Exited GAMBIT

Rupert-Wyatt-Gambit-061515b-Dragonlord.jpg

A few weeks ago, it was reported director Wyatt exited Fox's Gambit movie, citing a scheduling conflict with an unnamed project. But THR's multiple sources say the real split arose after the studio began to question whether Wyatt was in fact committed to moving ahead on the project, which has an Oct. 7, 2016, release date. Says one high-level source with knowledge of the situation: "Ambivalence is not a good way to go into an expensive movie."

On Gambit, Fox never believed that it was heading into a situation with Wyatt that would have recalled its difficulties with Josh Trank, who was said to be withdrawn and isolated while making Fantastic Four. Wyatt is "a talented guy," says a studio source. "He shows up. He comes early. He stays late. He's got good ideas." But Wyatt wants to rewrite, to conceive the world that he is filming. And when a director paints on a big, $100 million-plus canvas, studios want to help pick out the colors. Often on big films there also are heavyweight producers and influential stars involved who have ideas of their own. In the case of Gambit, Channing Tatum was set to play the lead, and producers include Simon Kinberg of X-Men and Star Wars.

What seems to have happened on Gambit and other films is that when Wyatt has been unable to convince the studios to sign on to his vision, his anxiety mounts and he leaves. During the past few years, he has dropped out of projects at every major studio except Disney (where he has had none). One top exec who has worked with Wyatt says the director "is not a tortured guy" but rather is "a very gentle soul, very considerate." He continues: "I think he's a very principled guy. He wants to make the best version of something, and he's so desperately afraid of making something not good that it's easier to walk away than be pushed by committee."

High Anxiety on Hollywood Mega-Movies: How 'Gambit' Lost Its Director (Exclusive)

Update: September 30, 2015

Possible Reason Why Director Rupert Wyatt Exited GAMBIT

Rupert-Wyatt-Gambit-061515b-Dragonlord.jpg

A few weeks ago, it was reported director Wyatt exited Fox's Gambit movie, citing a scheduling conflict with an unnamed project. But THR's multiple sources say the real split arose after the studio began to question whether Wyatt was in fact committed to moving ahead on the project, which has an Oct. 7, 2016, release date. Says one high-level source with knowledge of the situation: "Ambivalence is not a good way to go into an expensive movie."

On Gambit, Fox never believed that it was heading into a situation with Wyatt that would have recalled its difficulties with Josh Trank, who was said to be withdrawn and isolated while making Fantastic Four. Wyatt is "a talented guy," says a studio source. "He shows up. He comes early. He stays late. He's got good ideas." But Wyatt wants to rewrite, to conceive the world that he is filming. And when a director paints on a big, $100 million-plus canvas, studios want to help pick out the colors. Often on big films there also are heavyweight producers and influential stars involved who have ideas of their own. In the case of Gambit, Channing Tatum was set to play the lead, and producers include Simon Kinberg of X-Men and Star Wars.

What seems to have happened on Gambit and other films is that when Wyatt has been unable to convince the studios to sign on to his vision, his anxiety mounts and he leaves. During the past few years, he has dropped out of projects at every major studio except Disney (where he has had none). One top exec who has worked with Wyatt says the director "is not a tortured guy" but rather is "a very gentle soul, very considerate." He continues: "I think he's a very principled guy. He wants to make the best version of something, and he's so desperately afraid of making something not good that it's easier to walk away than be pushed by committee."

High Anxiety on Hollywood Mega-Movies: How 'Gambit' Lost Its Director (Exclusive)

I don't know how people could fault him for this.

Update: October 18, 2015

EDGE OF TOMORROW Director Doug Liman Eyed for GAMBIT

Doug-Liman-Fair-Game-Baghdad-Car-Dragonlord.jpg

A month ago, director Rupert Wyatt dropped out of Gambit, the X-Men spinoff starring Channing Tatum as the eponymous Cajun. Since then, the project has been surprisingly quiet (keep in mind that this movie was slated to begin shooting this month) on getting a replacement, especially since one would assume that this is a high-priority project for Fox, who would like to get as many superhero projects humming as possible, especially since Fantastic Four tanked.

Earlier today, Jeff Sneider tweeted out a rumor that Tatum might be eyeing Edge of Tomorrow director Doug Liman for the gig. While Liman is no stranger to projects of this scale, his movies are notorious for having rough productions, and this is one that has already gone through the drama of having its star negotiate in the press and lose its director (although, in fairness, those two events were unrelated). Liman's work history suggests that it would be rough sailing to the film’s October 7, 2016 release date.

For Liman’s part, he seems content to keep working with Tom Cruise. There have been discussions about Edge of Tomorrow 2 and last month it was reported that the two were considering Liman’s lunar heist film, Luna Park, which has been in development since 2014. Also, it’s possible that Liman might still be in post-production on the drama Mena starring Cruise, which opens January 6, 2017, so it will be interesting to see how he balances his schedule should he opt to take Gambit.

Channing Tatum Courting 'Edge of Tomorrow' Director Doug Liman for 'Gambit' Movie

Update: October 22, 2015

GAMBIT Director Shortlist Includes Joe Cornish, Shane Black

gambit_x_men_signature_by_drummahjen.jpg

A new report has revealed what may be the top three contenders to fill the recently vacated director’s chair on 20th Century Fox’s Gambit movie. Heroic Hollywood’s report confirms previous reports that Gambit star Channing Tatum is courting Edge of Tomorrow director Doug Liman, but Liman isn’t the only name in the running.

Another potential director is Joe Cornish, the Attack the Block director who also earned story and screenplay credits on Marvel’s Ant-Man. Attack the Block was Cornish’s feature debut, and helped launch the career of Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega.

The third name in the ring is Shane Black, director of Iron Man 3. Black is certainly the biggest name on the list, and he’s finishing post-production on his next film – The Nice Guys – now. He’s also attached to direct Fox’s upcoming Predator reboot.

Whoever lands the job will direct Gambit from a script by Josh Zetumer, based on a treatment by Gambit’s co-creator and X-Men legend Chris Claremont.

The production will have some time to sort everything out since although they were scheduled to start next month, it now looks like the start of filming will be pushed back until March of 2016. This puts the film’s planned October 7, 2016 release date in question as it’ll likely be delayed as well.

Attack the Block's Joe Cornish and Iron Man 3's Shane Black Up for Gambit Movie

Update: November 12, 2015

EDGE OF TOMORROW's Doug Liman to Direct GAMBIT Movie

Doug-Liman-Gambit-111215-Dragonlord.jpg

After losing original director Rupert Wyatt and with an October 7, 2016, release looming like a hangman, Fox has furiously met with filmmakers to hop on board to direct the X-Men spin-off Gambit. The name the studio has found is a surprising one: Doug Liman.

Liman is in final negotiations to direct the comic book movie after a several rounds of meetings, including one that took place Thursday. Liman certainly knows his way around action movies. He last directed the well-regarded sci-fi action movie Edge of Tomorrow, which starred Tom Cruise. He is also known for directing Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Bourne Identity, two massive hits, commercially and critically.

But those two movies are also famously known for having been troubled productions, with the films needing to be saved in post-production. Still, Liman has had time to mend relations. He just wrapped Mena, a 1980s drug cartel drama that reteams him with Cruise and will be distributed by Universal.

And it is believed that Simon Kinberg, who worked with Liman as the writer on Smith and has also developed into one of the town's more powerful forces, will exercise a strong hand as one of the producers. (Lauren Shuler Donner is also producing.)

'Edge of Tomorrow' Director Doug Liman in Final Negotiations to Helm 'Gambit' Movie

Looks like Nightmare got the directing gig.

Back