Gadelha/Andrade showed how great Joanna is

Dr John Smith

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Joanna made Andrade fight for every one of her patented Crotch Slams of Doom. She blasted her with elbows and knees every time she had an inch of space. Every time Joanna was lifted off her feet, she controlled her posture so that she was dropped in a way that she can instantly get back to her feet, striking Andrade off the break every time. The one time she was taken down, she was on her feet in seconds, not giving Andrade a chance to get anything going on the ground. Hell, she even slugged it out with Andrade in the pocket every now and then, showing how nonsensical that "weak chin" myth is.

Rose doesn't have a chance against her.

Had Joanna been hot, she would have been a huge star. It's kinda sad, really.

Not a JJ fan, but you really dont appreciate some wins as much, until you see that fighter beat another elite fighter.

Yeah, Andrade was on a tear, and beating Chuck's up left and right, and it was a legit 60/40, 50/50 type of fight going into it with JJ, but after seeing her body Claudia like that, you appreciate the win way more.

And I also think JJ is too big for 115, even though it's not her fault that they didn't have a 125 class yet, and she can make the weight.

But Valentina absolutely bodies JJ at 125, and becomes the clean version of Jon Jones for the woman's 125 lb. division.

Not a JJ fan, but you really dont appreciate some wins as much, until you see that fighter beat another elite fighter.

Yeah, Andrade was on a tear, and beating Chuck's up left and right, and it was a legit 60/40, 50/50 type of fight going into it with JJ, but after seeing her body Claudia like that, you appreciate the win way more.

And I also think JJ is too big for 115, even though it's not her fault that they didn't have a 125 class yet, and she can make the weight.

But Valentina absolutely bodies JJ at 125, and becomes the clean version of Jon Jones for the woman's 125 lb. division.

Not if Valentina fights how she did against Nunes.

What? So, she'd still beat JJ, since she won that fight???
Bringing Valentina to every Joanna's thread is pointless and waste of time. This what I don't like about Valentina's hype. As long she is great fighter, it looks like her biggest achievement is to win vs Joanna in amataur muay thai competition (at least for her "fans"). First she have to win belt and defend it few times and then we can make comparisions. Valentina is literally nowhere close to title shot at 125 lbs and basicly out of picture at 135 lbs.
Superfight is fight able to handle to be main event of ppv card. First Joanna has to defend belt at least 2 more times and it won't be easy as many could think. Superfight will happen only if Joanna will become draw (unlikely) or her 125 lbs oponnent will be draw. So basicly we need PvZ as 125 lbs champion. If Jessica Andrade will keep improving and demolish 1-2 more girls and Joanna will be able to defend belt 1-2 more times there is your ppv main event.

Bringing Valentina to every Joanna's thread is pointless and waste of time. This what I don't like about Valentina's hype. As long she is great fighter, it looks like her biggest achievement is to win vs Joanna in amataur muay thai competition (at least for her "fans"). First she have to win belt and defend it few times and then we can make comparisions. Valentina is literally nowhere close to title shot at 125 lbs and basicly out of picture at 135 lbs.
Superfight is fight able to handle to be main event of ppv card. First Joanna has to defend belt at least 2 more times and it won't be easy as many could think. Superfight will happen only if Joanna will become draw (unlikely) or her 125 lbs oponnent will be draw. So basicly we need PvZ as 125 lbs champion. If Jessica Andrade will keep improving and demolish 1-2 more girls and Joanna will be able to defend belt 1-2 more times there is your ppv main event.

I'm not hyping Valentina (well, technically I am, because I'm speaking highly of her, but I'm not doing it in that fanboy of hers, way), I'm telling it how it is.

JJ fights a bunch of smaller women, and always has the height, length, size, and strength advantage in all of her fights, except maybe the Valerie fight. I don't think she's that well versed at grappling, as much as she's just way stronger, and has more leverage than her opponents.

When she fights someone her own size, with equal, and even more skill than her, she's getting smashed to pieces.

JJ fights a bunch of smaller women, and always has the height, length, size, and strength advantage in all of her fights, except maybe the Valerie fight. I don't think she's that well versed at grappling, as much as she's just way stronger, and has more leverage than her opponents.

When she fights someone her own size, with equal, and even more skill than her, she's getting smashed to pieces.
Is JJ much stronger than Claudia? She performed better against Andrade since she didn't gas, but she didn't really look stronger than Claudia head to head. Also, is she stronger than Andrade for that matter? o_O

Is JJ much stronger than Claudia? She performed better against Andrade since she didn't gas, but she didn't really look stronger than Claudia head to head. Also, is she stronger than Andrade for that matter? o_O

Yes, yes she is

Yes, yes she is
What makes you believe so (and that Valerie is stronger than Gadelha and Andrade)? She looks like a stick figure compared to them, so does 115 Val for that matter. It's like you think height = strength, when in fact it limits them from carrying as much muscle as shorter fighters in their weight class.

I would EXTREMELY doubt JJ is stronger than Andrade, like 95% chance of that being untrue IMO. Somebody who trained with Andrade said she ran around the gym carrying a 200+ lb man, no way can I picture JJ doing so.

Last edited:

It's not pointless as a lot of Joanna threads end up talking about her moving up to 125lbs. Something which I doubt she'll ever do.

How is it hype when Valentina has only ever lost to Amanda Nunes, with the first loss having her dominating the third round and finishing much stronger (this is the fight which lead everyone to believe that in a five round fight that she would take over in the later rounds). As for the second fight, the media score cards were 10 for Nunes, 10 for Valentina and 2 draws. 1/3 judges gave Valentina the fight, all it would have took is one of the other judges to give Valentina the nod in one of the close rounds (of which there were many) and we'd be looking at Valentina as the champion. Not to mention many MMA fans scored the fight in favor of Valentina, from what I've seen and on online polls the majority of the fans give her the nod with a lot of the people voting for Nunes running their mouth about Valentina (aka, they're haters).

This super fight is a pipe dream, Joanna won't step up. Very few fighters do in such scenarios.

If she does, she's getting mollywhipped. It's a different ball game, Valentina has been the smaller fighter in most of her bouts, this time she will be the bigger girl (she's naturally more thickset than Joanna). Joanna is not a heavy hitter anything like Amanda, she has no knockout power for Valentina to be cautious about. She also has no offensive grappling to fear, she's purely defensive with her grappling. Valentina has nothing to worry about when clinching up and coming forward, if anything she'll be the one sweeping and taking down Joanna (she offers a different take down threat compared to anything Joanna has faced in her career). Valentina has 6 career submissions, she has took down the likes of Nunes, Holm (both of whom Ronda couldn't get down) and Pena.

Then we can talk about a mental block which could feature with Joanna having fought and lost to Valentina on multiple occasions in Muay Thai. Along with the fact she'd be moving up in weight with Valentina moving down, knowing that she'll be the smaller girl.

So what we're left with is a technical striking bout. Valentina wins comfortably, she's more powerful, she's more technical, if anyone is gonna' do anything with grappling in this fight it'll be Valentina (aka she has more tools in her arsenal). Joanna has pretty much no chance to win this fight, it's a horrible match up for her and a very comfortable one for Valentina.

Valentina has been striking with the likes of Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes whilst who exactly are the great strikers Joanna has beat ? Karolina, Claudia ? Not comparable to the competition Valentina has fought. Jessica ? She's a little wrecking ball but technically her striking is very poor, she's wild...she's aggressive and wind mills haymaking hooks. The truth is Joanna has never fought a great striker in MMA, her entire career has been her using her outstanding TDD and out striking her competition who are poor-okay strikers.

The only people talking like it will be close, or more hilariously that Joanna will win, are the Joanna fan boys who think that because she's undefeated and the long time reigning and defending champion that she is somehow 'better' than Valentina who is yet to win the title. But the truth is, if this fight should happen it'll be awesome but a very comfortable victory for Valentina.

Joanna is one of the bigger women in her division and so far she's had the height & reach advantage over everyone except Valerie. But it's her technique more than her physical attributes that wins her fights, and she's a lot better at grappling than you think. No one ever passes guard and advances position on her when they get her down, and she rips off grips to stop submission attempts before they can even get started. Put it this way, Karolina was taken down by Claudia and tapped within 20-30 seconds, Claudia couldn't do anything other than land weak arm punches on Joanna when she got her down.

How is it hype when Valentina has only ever lost to Amanda Nunes, with the first loss having her dominating the third round and finishing much stronger (this is the fight which lead everyone to believe that in a five round fight that she would take over in the later rounds). As for the second fight, the media score cards were 10 for Nunes, 10 for Valentina and 2 draws. 1/3 judges gave Valentina the fight, all it would have took is one of the other judges to give Valentina the nod in one of the close rounds (of which there were many) and we'd be looking at Valentina as the champion. Not to mention many MMA fans scored the fight in favor of Valentina, from what I've seen and on online polls the majority of the fans give her the nod with a lot of the people voting for Nunes running their mouth about Valentina (aka, they're haters).

This super fight is a pipe dream, Joanna won't step up. Very few fighters do in such scenarios.

If she does, she's getting mollywhipped. It's a different ball game, Valentina has been the smaller fighter in most of her bouts, this time she will be the bigger girl (she's naturally more thickset than Joanna). Joanna is not a heavy hitter anything like Amanda, she has no knockout power for Valentina to be cautious about. She also has no offensive grappling to fear, she's purely defensive with her grappling. Valentina has nothing to worry about when clinching up and coming forward, if anything she'll be the one sweeping and taking down Joanna (she offers a different take down threat compared to anything Joanna has faced in her career). Valentina has 6 career submissions, she has took down the likes of Nunes, Holm (both of whom Ronda couldn't get down) and Pena.

Then we can talk about a mental block which could feature with Joanna having fought and lost to Valentina on multiple occasions in Muay Thai. Along with the fact she'd be moving up in weight with Valentina moving down, knowing that she'll be the smaller girl.

So what we're left with is a technical striking bout. Valentina wins comfortably, she's more powerful, she's more technical, if anyone is gonna' do anything with grappling in this fight it'll be Valentina (aka she has more tools in her arsenal). Joanna has pretty much no chance to win this fight, it's a horrible match up for her and a very comfortable one for Valentina.

Valentina has been striking with the likes of Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes whilst who exactly are the great strikers Joanna has beat ? Karolina, Claudia ? Not comparable to the competition Valentina has fought. Jessica ? She's a little wrecking ball but technically her striking is very poor, she's wild...she's aggressive and wind mills haymaking hooks. The truth is Joanna has never fought a great striker in MMA, her entire career has been her using her outstanding TDD and out striking her competition who are poor-okay strikers.

The only people talking like it will be close, or more hilariously that Joanna will win, are the Joanna fan boys who think that because she's undefeated and the long time reigning and defending champion that she is somehow is 'better' than Valentina who is yet to win the title. But the truth is, if this fight should happen it'll be awesome but a very comfortable victory for Valentina.

This exactly what I'm talking about.Thank you. Valentina's whole career basicly is all about her fight vs Jedrzejczyk and Jedrzejczyk. This is silly af. You proved my point.

The only people talking like it will be close, or more hilariously that Joanna will win, are the Joanna fan boys who think that because she's undefeated and the long time reigning and defending champion that she is somehow 'better' than Valentina who is yet to win the title. But the truth is, if this fight should happen it'll be awesome but a very comfortable victory for Valentina.

The only good striker Joanna's fought in the UFC is Valerie Letourneau, I'd say Valerie at her best was around the same level as Holm or Nunes but without the KO threat of Amanda. Valerie gave her some trouble until she was able to adjust and go heavy with the low kicks, but even then it was still a competitive fight, Joanna was winning but it wasn't a blowout like against Karolina or Jessica.

The only hope Joanna has of beating Valentina is hoping that Shevchenko sits back too much and gets outpointed. Which is possible, but unlikely. There are reasons she had to fight the way she did against Nunes, those reasons do not apply in a fight against Joanna.

Joanna is one of the bigger women in her division and so far she's had the height & reach advantage over everyone except Valerie. But it's her technique more than her physical attributes that wins her fights, and she's a lot better at grappling than you think. No one ever passes guard and advances position on her when they get her down, and she rips off grips to stop submission attempts before they can even get started. Put it this way, Karolina was taken down by Claudia and tapped within 20-30 seconds, Claudia couldn't do anything other than land weak arm punches on Joanna when she got her down.

And it's her strength that allows her to use techniques so easily, and defend against those little woman punches from Claudia.

The only good striker Joanna's fought in the UFC is Valerie Letourneau, I'd say Valerie at her best was around the same level as Holm or Nunes but without the KO threat of Amanda. Valerie gave her some trouble until she was able to adjust and go heavy with the low kicks, but even then it was still a competitive fight, Joanna was winning but it wasn't a blowout like against Karolina or Jessica.

The only hope Joanna has of beating Valentina is hoping that Shevchenko sits back too much and gets outpointed. Which is possible, but unlikely. There are reasons she had to fight the way she did against Nunes, those reasons do not apply in a fight against Joanna.

"The only good striker Joanna's fought in the UFC" had more reach advantage over Joanna, than Amanda over Valentina, and still broken record of sig. strikes landed in title fight.
Like I said I don't like discuss about fight with little chance to even happen. I'm sure Joanna-Valentina in mma won't happen, because of many things. First and most obvious is Valentina can't make to 115 lbs. Second is money.

This fight is a long way off but here are some points to consider.

The weight difference, not much say 10 pounds at most, probably less This actually suits Joanna - Val isn't a hard puncher anyway and coming down might take a bit of power away.

Experience - Joanna is 14-0 in mma and every opponent is credible, even the two girls she fought in Poland at the start of her career. In reality Val is 4-3 against known opponents and I'm being generous and including her win against Cuddles Finney.

Training - Since those amateur MT fights 10 or more years ago Joanna has trained with the best Hoost, a bunch of Chechens in Olsztyn and now ATT. Val has flitted around the third world training with the same guy she's been with since she was 5 years ago.

Attitude - Joanna is willing to learn. Even though she was the champ she realised she needed to improve, hence the move to Florida. Val failed to adapt when another ATT girl came out with a gameplan she hadn't even considered. Did she learn anything? The salt suggests not, it was the judge's fault not her own.

Just trying to save you guys some money if the fight gets made.

Back