Gabe Newell hosting AMA on reddit (1/17/17)

Bob Gray

Deadlights Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-to-host-reddit-ama-tomorrow/

So Gaben, the one and only, will subject himself to the queries of the horde of redditors tomorrow. Seems like it's too coincidental given the timing of Game Informers interview of a supposed Valve employee who pretty much confirms that not only is Half Life 3 dead, but the series as a whole will likely never see the light of day again (links below).

http://www.pcgamer.com/half-life-3-doesnt-exist-says-alleged-valve-insider/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/01/11/searching-for-half-life-3.aspx

So now the question becomes how many of the queries will he actually answer after nearly a decade of strict silence? A comment on the PCGamer article is by someone claiming to be a mod on Redditor and says the questions will be monitored and duplicates will be removed, and they will be specifically scanning for questions with a "3".

So, will this AMA actually inform us of anything in regards to the topic that will surely dominate (or attempt to dominate) the discussion? At this point I've accepted that Valve has moved on and just isn't passionate about doing anything HL related. However, I think it's time they put on their big boy pants and just admit it. I have nothing but respect for Valve and what theyve accomplished, but they basically made the Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back of PC Gaming, and then decided to stop.

And on another note, what questions/topics unrelated to HL 3 should be asked?

Last edited:
http://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-to-host-reddit-ama-tomorrow/

So Gaben, the one and only, will subject himself to the queries of the horde of redditors tomorrow. Seems like it's too coincidental given the timing of Game Informers interview of a supposed Valve employee who pretty much confirms that not only is Half Life 3 dead, but the series as a whole will likely never see the light of day again (links below).

http://www.pcgamer.com/half-life-3-doesnt-exist-says-alleged-valve-insider/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/01/11/searching-for-half-life-3.aspx

So now the question becomes how many of the queries will he actually answer after nearly a decade of strict silence? A comment on the PCGamer article is by someone claiming to be a mod on Redditor and says the questions will be monitored and duplicates will be removed, and they will be specifically scanning for questions with a "3".

So, will this AMA actually inform us of anything in regards to the topic that will surely dominate (or attempt to dominate) the discussion? At this point I've accepted that Valve has moved on and just isn't passionate about doing anything HL related. However, I think it's time they put on their big boy pants and just admit it. I have nothing but respect for Valve and what theyve accomplished, but they basically made the Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back of PC Gaming, and then decided to stop.

And on another note, what questions/topics unrelated to HL 3 should be asked?

I have a hard time believing that absolutely no one at Valve wants to do HL3. I mean it's possible I guess.

Like you though I wish they would just say one way or the other.

I have a hard time believing that absolutely no one at Valve wants to do HL3. I mean it's possible I guess.

Like you though I wish they would just say one way or the other.

Check out the interview. It goes into detail about it. It isn't so much a complete lack of desire, but more of a sense of not quite knowing what it would be. Then after so much time passes it's harder and harder to gain momentum on it.

Damn. 5 years ago this would have been a big deal.

If you guys ever wonder why Dana White doesn't pay the fighters more...

...shit, I lost my train of thought.

It was something to do with Gabe Newell now being a billionaire and not needing to develop new games because Steam is ranking in the money. Something like that.

I know it'll come back to me sometime.

If you guys ever wonder why Dana White doesn't pay the fighters more...

...shit, I lost my train of thought.

It was something to do with Gabe Newell now being a billionaire and not needing to develop new games because Steam is ranking in the money. Something like that.

I know it'll come back to me sometime.

That's definitely part of it, too. Just from a financial perspective, it seems like diverting resources to a single player game would just result in a net loss of time and money, even if the project itself profits.

But even so, they could outsource it to a different developer. Yes, we know it wont blow our asses away like the first two, but I'd be fine with finishing the story with a good game as opposed to never finishing it at all. To further the Star Wars analogy, it's not a rare complaint that Return of the Jedi suffered from last minute changes (Ewoks over Wookies) and Lucas' desire to keep the characters alive and not go the darker route originally envisioned. Even assuming Jedi is disliked (which it isn't) people still love Star Wars. A third act that doesn't live up to the first two doesnt destroy anything, it just makes a disappointing third act, but you're still glad to have finished the story.

They don't even need to make a full fledged HL3, just give us HL2E3, dammit! Outsource it to Gearbox (who did a great job with the HL1 expansion back in the day).

BO9lkjf.jpg

Reddit - Any chance of a new IP that takes place in the half-life/portal universe?
Gabe - Yep.

HYPE!!!!

Overall A sub par AMA though.

You nerds care way to much about Half Life 3, which is just going to disappoint you anyway. If it ever did release.

You nerds care way to much about Half Life 3, which is just going to disappoint you anyway. If it ever did release.

Would people be disappointed? Yes this is 2017 with the internet there's always someone who will be unhappy. I would be happy with just a straight forward copy of the last game that continues the story. It was the story I was always interested in. It was interesting.

Im anticipating the CSGO changes to the UI and HRTF sound feature that was added recently. Directional sound of HRTF is phenomenal. Only issue right now is the range of the sound is all identical.

Would people be disappointed? Yes this is 2017 with the internet there's always someone who will be unhappy. I would be happy with just a straight forward copy of the last game that continues the story. It was the story I was always interested in. It was interesting.

I'm just being a hater. But I think it would be hard to bring back the magic after so long. The people have had so many FPS games I think it would be hard to blow people away. So they'd probably be disappointed. But I'm sure it would be a fun game.

I'm just being a hater. But I think it would be hard to bring back the magic after so long. The people have had so many FPS games I think it would be hard to blow people away. So they'd probably be disappointed. But I'm sure it would be a fun game.

Not so sure. Wolfenstein seemed to do great on it's come back and that was just with a solid story and good gun play (from what I hear anyways haven't played yet). It could fail though but I think with similar gunplay and good story it would be great. Hell just do it for me damn it :mad:

Not so sure. Wolfenstein seemed to do great on it's come back and that was just with a solid story and good gun play (from what I hear anyways haven't played yet). It could fail though but I think with similar gunplay and good story it would be great. Hell just do it for me damn it :mad:
DOOM did great too with it's resurrection. I think HL3 could work rather well. Who knows what the true story may be.

DOOM did great too with it's resurrection. I think HL3 could work rather well. Who knows what the true story may be.

Yea I heard Doom did great to. I'm to scared to play games like that though. Yea I'm a bitch.

The gravity gun was such a fun gimmick..

And who knew there were so many extra large saw blades laying around.

Back