Future of Invicta

Kaybee

Arianator Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
After the UFC inevitably purges all of the talent from 125 do you think Invicta will be a short-timer? 105 would be the only division left that they would be considered the apex of, and they've been firmly the second to third tier in 115 and 135. Coupled with Bellator finally getting serious with their signings in WMMA I'm not sure if Invicta will take the fall well from the center of WMMA to being a feeder league akin to Titan FC.

This is not to discredit all they've done to build up WMMA, but I think UFC's 125 division has high potential to be the nail in the coffin; curious if this is a general consensus around here.

Didnt UFC took their 135 and 145 champs just recently? They will fold just like WEC did.

Hamasaki just vacated the Atomweight belt yesterday, but none of the mainstream media reported that one.

Before anyone yells nail the coffin i know
outside of Jennifer Maia & Andrea Lee the
flyweight divison won't be for the taking do
to Vanessa Porto & Roxanne Modaferri
being around several years and out of the
age range that UFC looks for.

Before anyone yells nail the coffin i know
outside of Jennifer Maia & Andrea Lee the
flyweight divison won't be for the taking do
to Vanessa Porto & Roxanne Modaferri
being around several years and out of the
age range that UFC looks for.
I think all 4 get signed; Astro Girl was older than all of them when she was signed out of the gate for 115 and she doesn't have nearly the pedigree of them either.

Maia
Lee
Niedzwiedz
Porto
Roxy
Bennett
Honchak
Ostrovich

I think it is all but a lock that the UFC signs them all to form the core of 125 along with the 135ers and 115ers that decide to drop down or move up.

I think all 4 get signed; Astro Girl was older than all of them when she was signed out of the gate for 115 and she doesn't have nearly the pedigree of them either.

Maia
Lee
Niedzwiedz
Porto
Roxy
Bennett
Honchak
Ostrovich

I think it is all but a lock that the UFC signs them all to form the core of 125 along with the 135ers and 115ers that decide to drop down or move up.

The core of 125 will be much like the core of 115 was when they brought it in: the TUF fighters. Some of the fighters on your list were at the tryouts.

Invicta will always be the niche of the niche.

the thread about the show on the UG got 8 posts in it. 8! and two of them were me pointing out how few posts the event was getting. Do you know what D level MMA events get more than 8 posts about it on the UG???

Invicta is not going anywhere. The promotion is very important to the UFC. Invicta does a lot of the gritty work the UFC doesn't have to do to identify and groom female talent. Further, although I do not know its financials, Shannon Knapp and others in the media have stated Invicta generates the highest viewership on UFC Fight Pass among all non-UFC fight cards.

The core of 125 will be much like the core of 115 was when they brought it in: the TUF fighters. Some of the fighters on your list were at the tryouts.
Well yes, I meant the core a year from now. A lot of top 115ers didn't do TUF but quickly became the core, same goes with 125

nah. Invicta has a low overhead because they generally pay low and use the same low cost venues. Invicta was always designed to be a WMMA feature org with its headliners moving on to other higher paying orgs while it helps generate more talent.

At this point I think there has to be discussion of just dissolving it or changing the direction/format of it.

Maybe they become nothing but a feeder org to the UFC by running tournaments that the winner moves to the UFC and hold like 8 events a year.

nah. Invicta has a low overhead because they generally pay low and use the same low cost venues. Invicta was always designed to be a WMMA feature org with its headliners moving on to other higher paying orgs while it helps generate more talent.
Agreed. It fell victim to peoples' high expectations, when it shouldn't have. Myself included.

If UFC can keep there hands off Sunna Davidsdottir,
Miranda Maverick & Felicia Spencer the folks at Invicta
have solid names that a divison can be built around
going down the road.

Agreed. It fell victim to peoples' high expectations, when it shouldn't have. Myself included.

I still have super high expectations. I look forward to a shitty Invicta card way more then I do the majority of UFC cards at this point.

There's definitely an important spot out there for them.... its not the first time they've been raided for talent, and it won't be the last.... The good part is now that most of the divisions are panning out and getting established, it'll change into just losing a fighter when they're ready as opposed to losing most of an entire division.

People makes this same Invicta doom and gloom thread every other year. New names will pop up like they always have. When the UFC opened 115 everone was doom and gloom about Invicta and it came back stronger than ever. Invicta built up 125 and it will come back better than ever. This is the normal cycle of MMA promotions. Remember when Chuck/GSP retired and people thought the UFC was dead? Then Ronda and Conor popped up they were the best they ever been. Just be patient and let the new talent shine above the rest.

Like Shannon always says, Invicta is about building stars. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have seen Alexa Grasso unless Shannon and her crew scouted her. I 100% think Invicta will stay where it is and continue to build star fighters that will go on to bigger things like the UFC. I expect Souza to be signed soon TBH.

Also, didn't they sign Joanna but then the UFC took her before she could have her first fight for Invicta?

Last edited:
I don't know how they are doing now financially, but I know they lost their asses on the first couple shows. They were bleeding money at least until they aligned with the UFC.

Invicta will always be the niche of the niche.

the thread about the show on the UG got 8 posts in it. 8! and two of them were me pointing out how few posts the event was getting. Do you know what D level MMA events get more than 8 posts about it on the UG???
Speaking of dead, the UG is dead. I left because it is so technically broken. Kirik (the owner) couldn't swallow his ego long enough to let pro coders fix the site even after they VOLUNTEERED to do so. So they went and made their own board, the "MMA Community" forum, which is small, but very high quality technically.

Back