Fury's pre fight talk of KO'ing Wilder- does he have the punching power to do it in the rematch?

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
Fury was saying he would knock Wilder out (and so was Freddie Roach) but it was he who took a brief nap in there.

Fury does have 19 KOs on his resume, but at 6"9, 256 Ibs the lack of punching power seems to be his achiles heel. The way he outboxer Wilder some of those rounds with more power it might have been a diffetent story.

So does Fury have the power to KO Wilder, who he mocked was kod by 'a short fat Russian' in the amateurs?
Or will he be playing the 12 rd dance with death again?

Fury was saying he would knock Wilder out (and so was Freddie Roach) but it was he who took a brief nap in there.

Fury does have 19 KOs on his resume, but at 6"9, 256 Ibs the lack of punching power seems to be his achiles heel. The way he outboxer Wilder some of those rounds with more power it might have been a diffetent story.

So does Fury have the power to KO Wilder, who he mocked was kod by 'a short fat Russian' in the amateurs?
Or will he be playing the 12 rd dance with death again?

He will be content to fight Wilder off the back foot, and box his way to a victory. Watching the first match he seemed very selective in engaging. He used head movement, angles, and pivots to play a game rooted in defense. He had his moments, however, when you're playing the "boxer" role you essentially have to establish moments. If guys don't respect your power they will eventually walk through your punches (Mayweather McGregor).

I don't think going toe to toe would be wise. I don't think Fury has the power to put Wilder away, Ortiz couldn't do it, I'll use him as reference. I don't think Fury has the desire to either, I think he wants to outbox him.

In my view Fury KOing Wilder is about as far fetched as Wilder outscoring Fury (minus the inclusion of knockdown points).

He does not have the one punch power, but he did hurt Wilder a few times. If he had followed up with another punch or two, he could have scored a knockdown himself.

NO

Unless wilder gasses and fury pushes him over and he is too tired to get up.

Fury has to be one of the weakest punches at heavyweight

He does not have the one punch power, but he did hurt Wilder a few times. If he had followed up with another punch or two, he could have scored a knockdown himself.

Yeah agree with this. He can knock him out but not with how he fights. If he holds his feet he takes a risk. He'll fight the same way in the rematch, if it happens, so won't sit down on his punches

Joshua definately has the power to knock wilder out. If he gets caught by AJ like he did with Ortiz, he'll either be on his back or getting lit up with combos, and finished

Fury was just spitting rhetoric when he kept saying that he was going to knock Deontay out. It was just a mind game to keep Wilder and team guessing but I suspect they pretty much knew that Tyson was going to stick and move all night because that is his style. He doesn't plant his feet and go for the KO. But I think Wilder respected his power, the shot that he hit Wilder with in the 12th after the knockdown certainly deterred him and he looked slightly stunned. But I can't see Fury going for a KO in the rematch. I think it will be more of the same and he'll be fitter this time so he should able to up the work rate this time round.

Fury always says he will knock his opponent out. What he says and whst he does are sometimes two differenr things

Even if he doesn't rotate his hips all that well, Fury can fuck up guys pretty good. Chisora got himself plenty of punishment and Wilder got stopped on his tracks a few times. He just doesn't commit a lot in most of his punches, many of them just look like slaps. Fury prefers to box from the back foot and not to put all his weight in his punches when the opponent can hurt him. It makes him very hard to hit and allows him to save some stamina for the later rounds. Otherwise a guy with his build would easily gas.

With bad intentions only Fury would be a wrecking ball for 4 to 5 rounds, then be ripe for the picking. He just boxes smart when he should (with the exception of round 12 against Wilder).

Yes, it's unlikely but he can KO Wilder, he had him stunned in round 12 after the knock down. If he were to get a KO though I would think it would be between rounds 8 and 12. He doesn't have big one punch power but he can get a late finish.

of course he does .. 6'9" 256 big ass mofo .. lol@people saying he doesn't have the power to ko .. wtf ? it's all about placement anyways .. if he gets the right shots in the right place anyone is going down .. but that's not his game plan anyways .. that would be a bonus

He was selling the fight. He's a boxer, not a puncher.

He will be content to fight Wilder off the back foot, and box his way to a victory. Watching the first match he seemed very selective in engaging. He used head movement, angles, and pivots to play a game rooted in defense. He had his moments, however, when you're playing the "boxer" role you essentially have to establish moments. If guys don't respect your power they will eventually walk through your punches (Mayweather McGregor).

I don't think going toe to toe would be wise. I don't think Fury has the power to put Wilder away, Ortiz couldn't do it, I'll use him as reference. I don't think Fury has the desire to either, I think he wants to outbox him.

In my view Fury KOing Wilder is about as far fetched as Wilder outscoring Fury (minus the inclusion of knockdown points).

I wouldnt call it so far fetched at all.
He has a 2/3 KO ratio against overall decent opposition.
And frankly if a 6"9 260 Ibs man trained in boxing does not have 'one punch' KO ability something is very wrong. Not a huge puncher for the division but with timing and depending where it lands he can get the KO.
Wilders chin also is not granite, he has been stopped at amateur.

I agree Furys game is to stick and move but it is a calculated risk. The safest strategy is always to get the opponent out of there without being hit yourself. As long as Wilder is in the fight there is a chance Furys night ends early. So in my view it would be part of the strategy to pick Wilder apart and more fully commit to shots here and there as the openings present themselves to stop Wilder sooner than the 12 rounds.

I wouldnt call it so far fetched at all.
He has a 2/3 KO ratio against overall decent opposition.
And frankly if a 6"9 260 Ibs man trained in boxing does not have 'one punch' KO ability something is very wrong. Not a huge puncher for the division but with timing and depending where it lands he can get the KO.
Wilders chin also is not granite, he has been stopped at amateur.

I agree Furys game is to stick and move but it is a calculated risk. The safest strategy is always to get the opponent out of there without being hit yourself. As long as Wilder is in the fight there is a chance Furys night ends early. So in my view it would be part of the strategy to pick Wilder apart and more fully commit to shots here and there as the openings present themselves to stop Wilder sooner than the 12 rounds.

I can see that. I could see a ref stoppage with accumulated damage considering Fury can box, and pick shots. I could see Fury maybe TKOing Wilder. I could also see Wilder maybe putting Fury away, but in my view he was overshooting the right hand. His distance wasn't there, and that was largely due to Fury's elusiveness. That is what I saw watching it a second time.

The rematch should be a good one. I like both guys, and I think they are both a threat to each other. It should be a good one.

Found it remarkable that he didnt follow up after tagging Wilder with various one two's. Choose to outbox him instead of take the risk of being countered.

Fury always says he will knock his opponent out. What he says and whst he does are sometimes two differenr things
A lot of people say that. I guess it's hard to sell a fight saying you're looking for a decision. I think he can knock Wilder out but doesn't have the mentality to really push for it like other fighters have. Joshua, Wilder and others (Golovkin, Canelo, Spence, Inoue, etc) really push for KOs even if they don't get it while Fury is more like Mayweather, defence first and minimal risks.

Back