Funny how fighters start to miss more fights when they become champ

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
This recent news of Garbrandt reminded me how desperate fighters are to remain relevant

Theres video evidence of him having a stem cell procedure on his back.. What are you getting at? These guys are in a full contact sport.

They have sponsorships that are tied or pay more to being champ. So, they make more $$$ by delaying fights as long as possible.

I mean it makes sense. The game will pass you by in just a few months if you're an up and comer and you take time off to heal. Once you get a foothold like that, you've earned the right to only fight at your best. I feel like you're going the wrong direction with the relevancy talk but oh well.

Totally agree TS. As soon as they reach the top the amount of fights they have goes down. Makes sense. They have more to lose. Still kinda lame though. Champs were way more active in PrIde and pre Conor UFC

So I guess he should fight injured to satisfy you right crap face

Funny how fighters start to play it safe after becoming champion.

hardly surprising, the cheques get bigger, and opponents get tougher

No Shit. Contenders have to fight frequently otherwise they would lose their spot to other fighters, the only way a champion loses his spot is by losing a fight, that's why they can afford to take breaks and fight less frequently cause there is nothing to chase anymore.

Garbrandt is a bad example, but I understand your point TS.

Guys are ducking left, right and center to stay champion.

• Demetrious doesn't want to tarnish reputation by fighting more challenging opponents at 135lbs and doesn't seem keen on Dillashaw at 125lbs either.
  • McGregor didn't want to risk Featherweight title because a loss would mean he'd no longer be a champion, was only happy to relinquish when he had another belt, which he also refuses to defend.
  • Woodley seems to be making excuse after excuse about Maia.
  • Bisping, well let's not even go there!

Last edited:
The real blame here should go on the UFC for wasting everyone's time putting these two on TUF.

This 3 month delay just turned into a nine month one.

they work just as hard to keep their belt, with long layoffs and handpicked opponents, as they did to get it.

Not their fault, everyone under the sun is trying to play the system for their own benefit. Champions should be encouraged to defend titles more by getting more money for fighting and thats it.

Back