Full time cops while doing higher studies part-time?

EyeOfNewt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you know any cops who have done policing full-time while studying at university part-time, or having second jobs? How are their lives like?

Makes sense.

Okay, as for your question. It probably depends the amount of stress that is involved. If you were a cop in a major city like LA, NYC, and Chicago the question to your answer would be no. The stress level as a cop could be through the roof if you work in a major city. Then you would have to go to school and stress over your studies? No, thanks. But if you worked in a small quaint town with little to no violence then you could probably pull it off. But you’d have to be a part time student, a course or two every every quarter or semester.

Makes sense.

Okay, as for your question. It probably depends the amount of stress that is involved. If you were a cop in a major city like LA, NYC, and Chicago the question to your answer would be no. The stress level as a cop could be through the roof if you work in a major city. Then you would have to go to school and stress over your studies? No, thanks. But if you worked in a small quaint town with little to no violence then you could probably pull it off. But you’d have to be a part time student, a course or two every every quarter or semester.

What do you think of cities like Toronto and Montreal? Are they comparable in terms of stress with NYC, LA, etc. ?

I noticed some police services websites claim cops work on average 32 hour work weeks rotating between night and day shifts. However this doesn't seem reasonable. I expected longer schedules. But if this is the case, perhaps part-time studies are doable?

Do you know any cops who have done policing full-time while studying at university part-time, or having second jobs? How are their lives like?
I am full time and went back to school full time to get my MBA, while having a 9 year old son. Your personal life obviously takes a hit, but the benefits outway any petty BS you miss. I just work OT initiatives through the department but working a second job doesn’t really mess with your personal time if you do it the right way.

didn't know America's Hat had actual 'police'.
thought it was all Mounties.
*pass the syrup, eh

What do you think of cities like Toronto and Montreal? Are they comparable in terms or stress with NYC, LA, etc. ?

I noticed some police services websites claim cops work on average 32 hour work weeks rotating between night and day shifts. However this doesn't seem reasonable. I expected longer schedules. But if this is the case, perhaps part-time studies are doable?

Toranto and Montreal? I’m not sure but you can look at the statistics and go from there. I wouldn’t think they would be as bad as some of the mega cities of the U.S.. But It also depends on which neighborhoods you’ll be assigned to. You can be either assigned to the tougher side of town or you could be given a cushy job where it is a healthy neighborhood. It all depends, my friend.

If the job is 32 hours a week, then I guess you can manage it, it just depends how busy you are with your life. If you have kids and etc, then your life will already be jam packed. Being a student is always a job in itself. You need time to write papers, study for exams and go to class. However, you can always find online courses your college is offering and take it from there. Schedule an appointment with a counselor and discuss it with them.

I am full time and went back to school full time to get my MBA, while having a 9 year old son. Your personal life obviously takes a hit, but the benefits outway any petty BS you miss. I just work OT initiatives through the department but working a second job doesn’t really mess with your personal time if you do it the right way.

Did you have to wait it out after the academy to continue your studies or could you do it straight off the bat? Where are you from and what was your first year on the department like in terms of schedule?

That's quite a goal you've set yourself! How is it working so far and how are things with the missus?

Toranto and Montreal? I’m not sure but you can look at the statistics and go from there. I wouldn’t think they would be as bad as some of the mega cities of the U.S.. But It also depends on which neighborhoods you’ll be assigned to. You can be either assigned to the tougher side of town or you could be given a cushy job where it is a healthy neighborhood. It all depends, my friend.

If the job is 32 hours a week, then I guess you can manage it, it just depends how busy you are with your life. If you have kids and etc, then your life will already be jam packed. Being a student is always a job in itself. You need time to write papers, study for exams and go to class. However, you can always find online courses your college is offering and take it from there. Schedule an appointment with a counselor and discuss it with them.

I'm skeptical on the 32 hour work week, even if the websites say so lol. What happens if at the end of your shift you are called for backup or have to make an arrest which drags on forever for one reason or another. It's not like you just drop whatever you were doing and punch that time card. Could be wrong

I'm skeptical on the 32 hour work week, even if the websites say so lol. What happens if at the end of your shift you are called for backup or have to make an arrest which drags on forever for one reason or another. It's not like you just drop whatever you were doing and punch that time card. Could be wrong

If you’re called for backup, you radio them in and tell them you’ve got a paper to write but you’ll try next time.

Got a buddy on the FD with me working full time and just went back to get his Law degree. He is single with no kids, so that works in his favor, but he’s stretched thin time wise.

Got a buddy on the FD with me working full time and just went back to get his Law degree. He is single with no kids, so that works in his favor, but he’s stretched thin time wise.
how old is he? Sounds foolish to give up a good firefighter job to acquire mountains of debt midway through his career.

Have a bunch of coworkers who got their masters while working.

Also know plenty that work second jobs of various levels.

how old is he? Sounds foolish to give up a good firefighter job to acquire mountains of debt midway through his career.

Mid 30’s. Not giving up the job. In fact he wants to be a lawyer for the union. I applaud the effort honestly. Like he said, ”Can’t be a firefighter forever.” The way towns are scrapping pensions and raiding them. Some civil servants will be working retirees. Myself included.

My original plan was to relocate to Fla. and be a part time bus driver for Disneyworld. Now I want to go out southwest and work at a gun shop somewhere.

We really need a Canadian forum to segregate you guys from the population.

Mid 30’s. Not giving up the job. In fact he wants to be a lawyer for the union. I applaud the effort honestly. Like he said, ”Can’t be a firefighter forever.” The way towns are scrapping pensions and raiding them. Some civil servants will be working retirees. Myself included.

My original plan was to relocate to Fla. and be a part time bus driver for Disneyworld. Now I want to go out southwest and work at a gun shop somewhere.
damn, I thought firefighter was among the safest jobs to have once you make it. I applaud his work ethic.

I don’t know, but I wish police were required to take classes at university.

What everyone didn't know was Ponch was getting his masters at night while he was getting women's numbers during the day.

He's a practicing horse veterinarian now.

Back