Full Nelson & Rear Naked Choke

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Paul1, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Paul1 Orange Belt

Paul1
    Can someone tell me how to escape a Full Nelson if it is applied to you while you are standing up. Also how to escape a Rear Naked Choke while you are standing up.

2. gotHEARTfighter Blue Belt

gotHEARTfighter
    escape a rnc standing up? not gonna happen. if you get to the ground pull on his head, try to slip one arm OVER your head to the other side, and turn... or dont get there

full nelson- kick him in the balls, or pull his nose into the back of your head i guess

3. BlackBeltNow Red Belt, but BlackBeltLastYear

BlackBeltNow
    escape a full nelson? don't let it happen to you. If you let someonme full nelson on you, u deserve to get hurt.

it's not even possible to get stuck in a full nelson there unless you suck or willingly let them apply it on you.

4. Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

Matt Thornton
    RNCs are actually not that difficult to escape unless he's really working on preventing it. Reach up and peel off the hand that's pushing off your head. That's why Sakuraba RNCs by pushing his head against yours, not his hand. Once you peel that hand off, control it so he can't short choke.

Full Nelson, I actually saw this escape on Bas Rutten's Lethal Streetfighting DVDs. Work to grip your hands together in front of your head. It loosens his grip on you. Then try to resist the movement. It'll be much easier. Do that while stomping insteps, groin kicks, etc.

5. Paul1 Orange Belt

Paul1
    thanks guys

6. Will Wheeler White Belt

Will Wheeler
    With an RNC when standing can't you throw the guy?

7. Trudge Purple Belt

Trudge
    ^^^ not unless you want an injury to your neck, no
    rnc, try to turn your head into his chest and then push off him, otherwise if the guy is stronger than you you'll never pull his hand away
    full nelson (why did you get caught in a full nelson) you'd push UP with your arms going with the squeeze and then try to clap your hands down towards your belly button, it needs to be quick but unless its a gorilla doing it to you its effective

8. sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

sha
    full nelson: keep your neck as straight as you can and drop your bodyweight a little, it will break his hold most of the times.

9. scorcho Brown Belt

scorcho
    Take Jiu-jitsu.

10. EPT Orange Belt

EPT
    What sort of situation are you talking about here?

11. TwIsTeD&BrOkEn With These Hands I Control The Fate of Millions

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn
    this is the correct answer. thank you.

12. flyingknee16 Brown Belt

flyingknee16
    isnt this the wrong forum

13. clownie Orange Belt

clownie
    I guess is sort of qualifies as 'standup technique'. But it still should be in the grappling forums.

The standing RNC is less dangerous than the ground RNC cuz the dude doesn't have his hooks in. The previous posters are right, you have to get rid of the arm that's pushing your head forward. You should try to control that arm with both of your hands and swivel or drop down quickly and try to go for some type of arm lock (maybe a police hammerlock or something).

The standing full nelson is pretty tough to get out of, but he can't really do anything to you if he gets it on you anyways. I'd try to squirm out, but if you're strong enough you could try powering out.

14. VampireMonk Black Belt

VampireMonk
    RNC - basically unlock his arms and go into some type of Judo throw.

Fullnelson - dont let them secure their grip and crank your neck.
    the moment they cannot secure the grip, it starts to fall apart.
    you end up trapping an arm under your armpit & attack from there.

15. beatin'stick Blue Belt

beatin'stick
    RNC, before he has a chance to sit back and hook in or otherwise immobilize you try to turn your body to face his, a little. The most effective choke has a forarm one one side, a bicep on the other and your Adam's apple in the crook of his elbow, with a hand pushing forward behind your head. Disrupt this and you'll last longer. Lets say he has a right arm around your neck and a left hand behind. Turn your body, because you are moving relative to him, and try to turn your face or chin toward the left, which is where his right hand is in the crook of his left elbow. The other direction will work, but it is hard to reach the hand behind your head from there. If you can get even a few degrees of turn, try to swim your left arm under and between you and get hold of his waist, shirt, whatever, for leverage. You can even use your own R hand to push your head left. Keep pushing your head left, and pushing your chin down to create blood and breathing space. Nw reach over your own head to try to dislodge his L hand behind your head. With tunring, squirming, and chin pushing, if you can get his hand L hand up a little, you should be able to dislodge the lock on the choke, which is his R fist in his elbow. There is no magic to it, just use leverage and go the right direction.

Full Nelson is best to stay out of like they said. The danger is that once your head is pushed downand arms are up you're stuck. Grad your wrist or lock your fingers and brace your forehead, pushing back on his pressure. This is actuall pretty uncomfortable on his fingers. He probably wants to hold you for somebody else to hit, or lift you and throw you sideways. Put as much weight as you can off to one side by sticking your hips out and turning. If your weight is in front of him he can lift you, if it is not, he'll have to move his feet first. Again, turn into him until you are as sideways as possible. If you let him pull you backwards, or up and sideways you are screwed. Shift your weight out to the side, drop and turn into him, and you will be at least partly under his weight, and twisting sideways in his hold. Be careful now because this is a good position to get kneed in the head. Now just shake and drive into him until his hands unlock, if they haven't. Trap an arm if you can and you can armdrag him, flip him over you, or turn into him and do an outside trip. Or finish the turn and break the grip and move into a tie-up for headbutts and knees.

On either of these, a distraction, such as a tap in the groin, or a foot stomp helps.

There is no method, just get a buddy to put you there, and figure out how to escape. I have written guidelines on stuff that I've worked out.

Have fun...

16. Excelsior Black Belt

Excelsior
    Holy shit, I can't believe I'm about to type this.

I remember this full nelson escape I learned years back in some TMA class. It only works if his fingers are locked behind your neck rather than on the back of your head.

1) Place your thumbs underneath the point of your chin.

2) Look up as high as you can, eyes to the skies.

3) Bring your elbows straight down.

The pressure your head, leveraged by your thumbs, should cause intense pain as his knucks are ground together.

There is an excellent chance that this technique is complete and utter bullshit. But if you have no other options, then you, well... have no other options.

17. RizRan Guest

RizRan
    Well long story short

Full Nelson-Break fingers
    Rear Naked, Chin Tucked and roll into them

18. Paul1 Orange Belt

Paul1
    jus like if u got in a situation where ur standing there and a guy puts u in a full nelson to hold u there while another guy punches you. it prolly wont happen but it could

19. Shft_E Brown Belt

Shft_E
    Full Nelson-easy. Since he is holding you upper body up jump in the air and bring your knees to your chest. Lean forward with you bodyweight in the air, and brace to stop your self like jumping off a high fence. he either has to let you go, or bust his face on the back of yout head, or get thrown over your shoulders.

RNC-Once its sunk in, its sunk in. Cant really over power this one. Maybe you can stay calm dont panic and breath until you can pry off a couple of fingers.

I was taught in a taijustu seminar to turn into the apex of their elbow so you can get a gulp or two. Pick them up on your hips like a judo toss. then grab the back of their head with both hands bringing their head to your shoulder, and jump forward. The polnt is to make them let go on impact, and if you can land right you can ukemi roll off of them.

Think about it, your already fucked and drastic times call for drastic choices. Not very orthadox in its matter but the element of suprise is good. I have practiced this with friends in a controlled enviorment on a mat. It is dangerous cause if you dont practice it right you are putting two necks and vertebrae in danger. but if its a street brawl and you are in danger....

20. TwIsTeD&BrOkEn With These Hands I Control The Fate of Millions

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn
    it has nothing to do with air.

Holding your breath while in a RNC does nothing to help you. It is a blood choke, and you will probably go out even faster if you hold your breath.