Fugged up sentencing in MN for hanging a toddler

You’re a pro-gun and pro-law and order liberal. You’re practically a member of the alt right at this point ;)
Alt-alt-left.

Go left, make a left turn, then go two blocks north. Just passed the taco bell.

For what?

We need to replace this outdated, inefficient Due Process nonsense with highly trained, heavily armed LEO's who operated as Judge, Jury and Executioner.

It's for the Greater Good.

We need to replace this outdated, inefficient Due Process nonsense with highly trained, heavily armed LEO's who operated as Judge, Jury and Executioner.

So you're talking the actual movie character and not a certain shitty poster? OK.

Different culture. Hard to judge.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Life imprisonment for battery, or at most attempted murder, would run afoul of the Eighth Amendment. Especially where there was no premeditation....or mens rea at all, as was the case here.

The judge concluded otherwise. Like I said, I put a lot of value into judicial determinations in sentencing, and there is no factual basis to believe this was made on a spurious basis or under some insidious influence. The idea that any mentally ill person who has a single psychotic episode should be locked up with the key thrown away is reductive and dangerous.

Also, under this line of thinking, Quinton Jackson would be serving a life term in the bin.
Sorry, but a hit and run doesn't compare to literally tying a noose around a 16 month old baby and hanging it. I'm not getting the white knighting here.

She hung a fucking toddler, and all you got is excuses for this bitch's laughable sentence. Yet you'll get outraged beyond belief at some gangbanger getting shot by police.

You're a joke.

She hung a fucking toddler, and all you got is excuses for this bitch's laughable sentence. Yet you'll get outraged beyond belief at some gangbanger getting shot by police.

You're a joke.

Every now and then, sprinkled within all of his endless, egotistic bloviation that may fool some into thinking he actually believes the literal garbage he posts, comrade Trots lets out a gem like this to let you know, without a doubt, he is just a troll with a broken brain, even if he doesn't realize it.

Last edited:
Life imprisonment for battery, or at most attempted murder, would run afoul of the Eighth Amendment. Especially where there was no premeditation

I know you study law and/or are a lawyer, but I'm calling bullshit here.

I remember a case from a few years back. A man and his two teenage sons were pushing their broken-down truck out of road when a drunk driver hit them. The two sons died immediately and the man went into his house, got a gun, and killed the drunk driver.

He was found guilty, IIRC. The act of going into his home to get a gun was proof of premeditation. Someone taking clothing and fashioning a noose is certainly some level of premeditation.

Bitch deserves to rot.

I know you study law and/or are a lawyer, but I'm calling bullshit here.

I remember a case from a few years back. A man and his two teenage sons were pushing their broken-down truck out of road when a drunk driver hit them. The two sons died immediately and the man went into his house, got a gun, and killed the drunk driver.

He was found guilty, IIRC. The act of going into his home to get a gun was proof of premeditation. Someone taking clothing and fashioning a noose is certainly some level of premeditation.

Bitch deserves to rot.

As a matter of fact? Yes. As a matter of law? No. A person who experiences a bout of mental illness and cannot appreciate or control the nature of their conduct, as was very clearly the case here, cannot legally form intent, let alone premeditation. IIRC, the three prevailing approaches are the M'Naughton (appreciation of wrongfulness) test, the irresistible impulse test, and the but-for mental illness test. Under at least the first and third she would not be culpable.

Your far too smart for this "bitch deserves to rot" reactionary nonsense. I'd be more condoning if she actually asphyxiated the kid, but wishing torture or death on a mentally ill person person for a crime they failed to complete during a psychotic break is just a whole different level of gross to me. It's contrary to basic human empathy. But I also acknowledge that I'm particularly sympathetic to persons with mental illness. It's a brutal cross to bear.

Also, sympathies for that father. I'm assuming and hoping that he plead down to voluntary manslaughter or hopefully something less.

As a matter of fact? Yes. As a matter of law? No. A person who experiences a bout of mental illness and cannot appreciate or control the nature of their conduct, as was very clearly the case here, cannot legally form intent, let alone premeditation. IIRC, the three prevailing approaches are the M'Naughton (appreciation of wrongfulness) test, the irresistible impulse test, and the but-for mental illness test. Under at least the first and third she would not be culpable.

Your far too smart for this "bitch deserves to rot" reactionary nonsense. I'd be more condoning if she actually asphyxiated the kid, but wishing torture or death on a mentally ill person person for a crime they failed to complete during a psychotic break is just a whole different level of gross to me. It's contrary to basic human empathy. But I also acknowledge that I'm particularly sympathetic to persons with mental illness. It's a brutal cross to bear.

Also, sympathies for that father. I'm assuming and hoping that he plead down to voluntary manslaughter or hopefully something less.

I deal with mental illness. My post history will confirm this.

Mental illness is not excuse for poor behavior. Whether or not the child was seriously harmed in this crime, she tried to hang him.

No amount of "she didn't know what she was doing" absolves that.

Apparently it was something of a psychotic episode from a person with no other criminal history and who exhibits no other criminal tendencies, and the action did not produce a tangible harm (to the child). And she's still never going to see her minor children again, until they mature.

Doesn't seem like an overly questionable sentence to me tbh. I assume, as should everyone, that the judge knows a heck of a lot more about the facts than we do.

Bullshit. You know the person would be in jail if it was a dude.

Sorry about the whole mass shooting thing. Temporarily psychotic bllah blah blah was abused blah blah blah.. No jail right?

All that really needs to be said.

If you're struggling with mental illness and you get to the point where you're seriously thinking about hurting another person, just kill yourself. Do everyone else a favor.

Bullshit. You know the person would be in jail if it was a dude.

She did go to jail. But, yes, male defendants are statistically less likely to succeed in insanity and incompetence matters. But males are also much more likely to re-offend in violent crimes.

Sorry about the whole mass shooting thing. Temporarily psychotic bllah blah blah was abused blah blah blah.. No jail right?

If you kill someone, let alone multiple people, you're going to see hard time no matter what. But, yeah, sometimes murderers are psychotic as well. James Holmes (I think that's the name - The Dark Knight Rises mass shooter) is an example of a murderer who was severely mentally ill. That wasn't a temporary psychosis type deal, though.

A more relevant killer that comes to mind is Louis Althusser who was a French philosopher and political science. He had mental health issues his entire life. And one morning he woke up and his wife had been strangled to death. Whether he did it in his sleep or in some fugue state, he killed her without genuine murderous intent. He loved his wife and was emotionally devastated for the rest of his life. You think that torturing him or gunning him down would be justice?

All that really needs to be said.

If you're struggling with mental illness and you get to the point where you're seriously thinking about hurting another person, just kill yourself. Do everyone else a favor.

People that are terminally stupid like yourself are a much greater threat to our society than people who are potentially violent.

Just sayin'.

Also, @PolishHeadlock we have another Anthony and Opie fan. You're in esteemed company.

Back