Fugged up sentencing in MN for hanging a toddler

Do you agree with Lowman’s post though that if she truly had a mental break she should be treated in a mental faculty until deemed safe enough to be around the public after trying, thankfully unsuccessful in actually killing, to string a little kid up by the neck?
Here’s the issue. MN closed all their mental health facilities. So when people get sentenced based on mental health, that really means that they are sentenced to probation, released to the custody of a family member, and have court ordered mental health treatment. Immediately after college I was working in mental health. One of my clients was in this situation. He was a pedophile, but deemed mentally ill and released into the custody of his grandma, and I was his in home mental health provider as ordered by the court. He reoffended after only a couple months, and since it violated his probation he went to the state prison. It’s one of the more disturbing, and non-ideal aspects of living in MN. So long as you can supply some sort of mental health excuse, you essentially get to go home with no consequences.

Commitment to a mental hospital is not imprisonment. MN law allows for civil commitments to psychiatric hospitals with no end date in cases of extremely dangerous people.

http://www.mncourts.gov/Help-Topics/Civil-Commitments.aspx

If the judge commits someone to treatment, it is typically for a six month period. The case is then reviewed with a hearing to determine whether the commitment should be extended. The exception to this is cases involving Mentally Ill and Dangerous Persons, Sexual Psychopathic Personalities, or Sexually Dangerous Persons. In those cases, there is not an end date to the commitment period; instead, periodic reviews are conducted by the court to determine whether the commitment continues to be necessary.
The problem is that there aren’t mental health hospitals available in MN to send these people. Check my response to HockeyBJJ, I had a predatory pedophile as a client who was released into the care of his grandma because there wasn’t a facility available for him to be committed to.

She hung a fucking toddler, and all you got is excuses for this bitch's laughable sentence. Yet you'll get outraged beyond belief at some gangbanger getting shot by police.

You're a joke.
Amen, what a pathetic loser.

She only did like $3.50 worth of damage to the baby, probation is a little bit excessive.

This is why due process, liberal democracy, and results-based societal management are all so fragile: knee-jerking rage dolts like you who scream "skin them alive!" to cope with your inability to process thoughts.

Luckily, your types affect the world solely through Facebook comments about how "if it was my kid, I'd have killed her!!!!!!" and never actually become judges, prosecutors, legislators, psychiatrists, etc.

*waits for 5 minutes so knee-jerk reaction wears off

Skin her alive.

*waits for 5 minutes so knee-jerk reaction wears off

Skin her alive.

And, again, this is why common law judicial standards exist: to hedge against the big dumb mob.

It's been illegal in English colonies to kill a person who was mentally deficient at the time of their crime for centuries now - and to kill someone for a non-homicide has been illegal for a century too. But if it were up to the mob, we'd have been burning alive retards, soldiers with PTSD, people with brain injuries, the developmentally disabled, and a whole myriad of people who genuinely were not themselves and experiencing a mental episode over which they had no control, even for non-homicide crimes.

And, again, this is why common law judicial standards exist: to hedge against the big dumb mob.

It's been illegal in English colonies to kill a person who was mentally deficient at the time of their crime for centuries now - and to kill someone for a non-homicide has been illegal for a century too. But if it were up to the mob, we'd have been burning alive retards, soldiers with PTSD, people with brain injuries, the developmentally disabled, and a whole myriad of people who genuinely were not themselves and experiencing a mental episode over which they had no control, even for non-homicide crimes.

Knee jerking over exaggerating shertards aside Trots, your first post in the thread supported the Judges the decision. Is that still your opinion? Or do you agree with the majority in here that, mental healthy issues or not, she is a danger to others in public and should not have been simply released?

Doesn't seem like an overly questionable sentence to me tbh. I assume, as should everyone, that the judge knows a heck of a lot more about the facts than we do.
And people shit on me because I don't care that a couple of black guys got kicked out of starbucks.

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The system doesn't punish women at all.....If this was a guy, he would've gotten atleast 15years......If it was a black guy/latino guy, 25 guaranteed.
You sound like a pussy whining. I thought you hated pussies getting offended by shit?

So many guns in USA.... please start pointing them in the right directions crazy people.

I feel like we need a mega thread for all the royally fucked up judges' sentencings. We got people serving years in prison for drug possession (not selling) charges, people getting time for not paying parking tickets (stupid to do, but come on), and yet a day care provider who puts a noose around a toddler's neck and leaves him hanging in her basement to die gets fucking probation. Please somebody get the tiki torches out for this one

http://time.com/5340526/minneapolis-day-care-hang-toddler/

http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...toddler-from-noose-to-be-sentenced/488290231/

Nataliia Karia, 43, received her punishment in Hennepin County court after pleading guilty to attempted murder and third-degree assault earlier. She also pleaded guilty to criminal vehicular operation for hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist and another driver as she fled from her home in a minivan in November 2016.

According to the criminal complaint, a father was dropping off his son at Karia’s home when Karia led him toward the basement, where he saw the toddler hanging from a noose. He released the child and fled with him. The 16-month-old boy survived.

Sabir said he heard a baby crying in the basement and ran downstairs to find the child hanging from a noose made of girls’ tights tied to an overhead pipe.

Judge Jay Quam agreed with the assessment by doctors that Karia was “a low risk” to reoffend. He called her actions “the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated.”

After a two-hour hearing, Karia received a 10-year probationary sentence, with credit for the 20 months in jail. She also must follow court-ordered mental health treatment and electronic home monitoring for at least two months.

Karia, who fought back tears and low sobs throughout the hearing, read a statement in Russian spelling out in great detail the abuses she alleges her husband inflicted upon her and her children since they arrived to the United States from Ukraine in 2006. She said he hit and threatened to kill her, drove the family into financial ruin, forced her to work despite her psychological struggles and prevented her from getting medical attention.

“I don’t want to push this terrible crime onto my husband. I just want to explain what happened,” she said, her words interpreted to English. “Your Honor, my children need me … Give me a chance to resume a normal life.”

Upon learning she was pregnant with another daughter, she told the court, her husband punched her in the stomach for not giving him a son.

She was abused. That sucks. Social Services fucked up by allowing a day care to be operated in that home in the first place. But, even when your life is shit, you put a noose around a toddler's neck and hang a year and a half old, you are not a safe person to have out and about in society just because you have a sob story of a past.

Eye for an eye, string her up

Imagine the attention this story would be given by the right if instead of an immigrant from Ukraine the baby hanger was from Mexico. But I guess demonizing Ukrainians isn't considered a beneficial electoral strategy.

The sentence seems outrageous on its face. Beyond outrageous.

It's literally all right leaning posters ITT calling for her head while the usual leftie trolls celebrate her lax sentence. The fuck are you on about?

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The system doesn't punish women at all.....If this was a guy, he would've gotten atleast 15years......If it was a black guy/latino guy, 25 guaranteed.
Female privilege.

It's literally all right leaning posters ITT calling for her head while the usual leftie trolls celebrate her lax sentence. The fuck are you on about?

WTF does this have to do with what I wrote? I didn't say the right approved the attempted murder of babies when not done by Mexicans. Learn to read.

This story would be leading on Hannity and Carlson and Ingraham if the immigrant was from South of the border. And the immigrant's country of origin would be front and center and repeatedly emphasized.

Back