Frostpunk

Rational Poster

Actually the Best Poster
@plutonium
Reaction score
You guys really need to up your game level. Just like Vermintide 2 I'm about to recommend to you another great game that's going under all your radars.

frostpunk_city_1920x1080_logo.jpg

This is the first game from 11 bit studios following their smashing success of This War of Mine. Most likely a top 10 game of all time in my opinion. This game like their previous game tells a story of human survival, but instead of an interactive story as the life of a civilian trapped in a war zone this is a story about human survival in the frozen post apocalypse.

On the surface is appears to be a city builder similar to the Anno series. It also includes a pretty deep morality system that expands with the size of your colony. Will you be a benevolent dictator or an iron-fisted dictator? Will you work your children to death in the freezing cold or let them go to school?

Your people's survival depends on a massive coal powered generator at the center of your colony. They depend on it not just for power, but for warmth in the frozen wasteland. It's a constant fight to keep your people happy and your generator running.

Release date trailer 4/24/18!

A developer lady talking about some of the moral choices in the game

Gameplay

Last edited:
Looks intriguing, I need to start looking into purchasing a desktop.

This war of mine was shallow, good but once you failed a few times then beat it there seemed to be little replay value. Conceptually is was great so I expect good things from this...

I've only played for a couple hours, but it already feels stunningly polished and has some truly awesome graphics/snow effects. It also has an 86 on Metacritic. I think we have a serious sleeper hit on our hands.

Pretty much everything from the steam comments says the game is like 5 hours long. WTF?! Just 3 scenarios for the full release of the game and no endless mode. Very strange for a strategy game.

Pretty much everything from the steam comments says the game is like 5 hours long. WTF?! Just 3 scenarios for the full release of the game and no endless mode. Very strange for a strategy game.

It's not that big a deal, it's very replayable. It's also really hard, most people aren't going to beat the first scenario even on their third or forth try without totally spoiling themselves with a strategy guide.

It's so brutal.

I thought I had it made... then something happens.

Here are my thoughts & impressions thus far:

This strikes me as a great demo that has just enough content for reviewers.

If it gets more content later I'll buy it.

Last edited:
I refunded it on Steam. In all honestly if I could have refunded Far Cry 5 I'd have done that and kept Frostpunk, But Frostpunk is quite shallow and the "choices" don't really have any major effect like they should.

I’ve got it. Seems to be another depression game like This war of mine

This war of mine was shallow, good but once you failed a few times then beat it there seemed to be little replay value. Conceptually is was great so I expect good things from this...
I played This War of Mine like fifty times, and have 250+ hours into it.

Came across Frostpunk on the Steam store the other day, and the TWOM comparisons immediately got it put on my wishlist (didn't even realize it was the same developer).

Reviews were mixed, though, so will wait until the price comes down a bit.

never heard of this but it actually looks good, i like it that it combines the strategy of survival with the politics of the city as it grows, great concept

Reviews were mixed, though, so will wait until the price comes down a bit.
Hmm? 87/88 (Critics/Users) on Metacritic, Very Positive (86%) on Steam.

It's literally one of the highest-rated city builders of all time.

Hmm? 87/88 (Critics/Users) on Metacritic, Very Positive (86%) on Steam.

It's literally one of the highest-rated city builders of all time.
I was reading Steam reviews similar to this one: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006677733/recommended/323190/

Essentially criticizing the short gameplay timeframe and lack of replayability, which to be fair, negative reviewers did the same for TWOM, and that game was great, but it was also $5 every Steam sale. They're really pushing the pricing boundaries of an indie game at $30, and much like every other game (including AAA titles), I have no qualms about waiting until it's 50%+ off however long it takes.

But yes, from the sounds of it, I'm going to love this game.

You guys really need to up your game level. Just like Vermintide 2 I'm about to recommend to you another great game that's going under all your radars.

frostpunk_city_1920x1080_logo.jpg

This is the first game from 11 bit studios following their smashing success of This War of Mine. Most likely a top 10 game of all time in my opinion. This game like their previous game tells a story of human survival, but instead of an interactive story as the life of a civilian trapped in a war zone this is a story about human survival in the frozen post apocalypse.

On the surface is appears to be a city builder similar to the Anno series. It also includes a pretty deep morality system that expands with the size of your colony. Will you be a benevolent dictator or an iron-fisted dictator? Will you work your children to death in the freezing cold or let them go to school?

Your people's survival depends on a massive coal powered generator at the center of your colony. They depend on it not just for power, but for warmth in the frozen wasteland. It's a constant fight to keep your people happy and your generator running.

Release date trailer 4/24/18!

A developer lady talking about some of the moral choices in the game

Gameplay

If you can't trust total dorks on game recommendations then what can you trust in this crazy world???

Back