From may 20, 2006 to dec 12, 2015. Nearly a DECADE undefeated in the toughest sport on the planet

Aldo is an all time great. But people will always remember the 13 second KO whenever hes brought up.

Sure. I remember Randleman And ManBearPig KO'ing Mirko too. But I also remember the rest of Mirko's career. Same with Jose. That loss will stick forever. But so will his career to anyone who is a fan of MMA and not just a few fighters.

Jose Aldo is one of the greatest to ever do it. There is no denying that. Anyone who suggests otherwise shouldn't be a person you discuss MMA with because they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.

Sure. I remember Randleman And ManBearPig KO'ing Mirko too. But I also remember the rest of Mirko's career. Same with Jose. That loss will stick forever. But so will his career to anyone who is a fan of MMA and not just a few fighters.

Jose Aldo is one of the greatest to ever do it. There is no denying that. Anyone who suggests otherwise shouldn't be a person you discuss MMA with because they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.
This. 100%.

Totally disagree...
I think long reigning champs become risk averse.

They stop opening a fight with a switch flying knee, etc.
Well that may be but you can't open up like that when your opponents keep getting better and better. You do have a point to some extent because "UFC Champion" pays a lot better then Former UFC Champion. Look at Dillashaw. He went from $70k defending vs Cruz to $25k. Also lose any chance at PPV $$. Its easier to throw caution to the wind when you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Also if the flying knee was the Cub fight Aldo was not a champion at the time. (Not that you said he was)

Good to see this thread.
I love the fact that he's well respected here in Brazil. Even in hos recent losses, he went down like a true warrior.

Dude has a crazy life story - ce from shit to become one of the GOATs. Most people in US don't have an idea about how bad was Aldo's life, the level of poverty he overcame.

Dude is a role model, people should appreciate him.

I rooted against Aldo for years and saw him as this super villain. Then around the Korean Zombie fight after seeing him dominate so many guys something switched and I couldn't imagine and didn't want anyone to knock him off.

Guy has a great backstory, seems like a great guy and defended his belt for years without picking and choosing fights. Really wish Dana let him challenge Pettis for the 155 belt. Aldo vs Mendes II might be my favorite title fight of all time.

Easily top 5 ATG. War Aldo

Good read: https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/27/9798748/the-night-we-faced-jose-aldo-ufc-194-conor-mcgregor

So far no gif of Aldo vs Conor, maybe I am too cynical and Sherdog is actually growing up a bit.

Your cynicism is well placed. Conor is just so passionately reviled on Sherdog that it'll take a page or two.

Legend... One of the greatest to do it at 145... #HESPECT !!!!

From may 20, 2006 to december 12, 2015. Nearly a DECADE undefeated in the toughest sport on the planet!
Was considered pfp best fighter. One of the true goats of the sport.
1414123247-tumblr_ndrx26BrxN1r4c1k8o4_500.jpg

A real defending champion with 9 consecutive title defenses in the toughest org in the world.
2014 FOTY winner.

Bounced back after a terrible loss to become champion of the world again by dominating one of the toughest guys in the sport.... for the second time.
Jos%C3%A9-Aldo-Frankie-Edgar.jpg

We will always be fans. Thanks Aldo, for such a great reign!! I hope you have fun in your last few fights in the UFC.

Absolute BEAST.
Fw GOAT.
one of the most complete MMA fighters ever inside a cage or ring.

RESPEK.

Absolute RESPEK.

It’s kind of sad if you think about it.

ZUFFA wanted him out.
DFW wanted him out.

He had no gimmy fights as soon as they noted he was not a “player” and definitely when he got too outspoken for their taste.

And even so dude stayed at the top for almost 10 years.

Don't bring this 'undefeated for a decade' nonsense up when you know full well he lost 3 of his last 4 fights. This is Sherdog, and dammit if we are going to acknowledge any accomplishments that weren't within the last 4 days.

Back