Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

Why does he have to “prepare”. I thought he wanted a challenge. If he is such a bad ass he would just go to your gym tonight, meet you and you guys go at it.

Lol I hate this mentality. It's obvious that he's not a meathead and that he's just trying to test himself lol. I do the same thing sometimes, I even had a friendly fight with a hoodlum who works at a 7-eleven, it was just to test myself lol. You can prepare for anything even prepare for a street fight. Nothing wrong with it, people say that it's over confidence to test yourself against someone but it's not it's just trying to get better anyway you know how.

I never figured out how people get dudes to challenge them. Any hints?
I've worked with this Co-worker for past 10 years and have a good relationship.
A couple of years ago one of his subordinates; late 20s, naturally athletic, about my size, big UFC fan, doesn't train, asked me sarcastically that if he beat a Blue Belt (me at the time) would that make him a Blue Belt. I told him that if he could tap me, I'd give him my Belt with it's 3 stripes and I'll revert to a plain White belt. You know, buds just giving each other a hard time.
We met up at my gym on a Saturday morning and set the clock to 5 min. He shot for a blast double and before I hit the mat he was Guillotined hard. He gassed at about 2 min where I'd start setting up submissions and he tapped. He quit at 3 min.

My current challenge is someone that just wants to see how he does. I'm not going to cheat him from a good match. I'm not going to take it easy on him and I'm definitely not going to take anything for granted.

I've found that the untrained have no understanding of how hopeless they really are against someone that is trained. He might decide to start training and leave aerobics to the chicks.

It's been said a couple of times now, but, if this is a friend, really be careful about going for the legs. He could do something totally stupid trying to escape before you can C&R.

If you find yourself on the bottom, just sweep him.

Edit to add: The guy who puts up the Folkjitsu videos (really, really excellent) just put up some on collar tie slide-bys. Could be something you can really use in no-Gi.

I've worked with this Co-worker for past 10 years and have a good relationship.
A couple of years ago one of his subordinates; late 20s, naturally athletic, about my size, big UFC fan, doesn't train, asked me sarcastically that if he beat a Blue Belt (me at the time) would that make him a Blue Belt. I told him that if he could tap me, I'd give him my Belt with it's 3 stripes and I'll revert to a plain White belt. You know, buds just giving each other a hard time.
We met up at my gym on a Saturday morning and set the clock to 5 min. He shot for a blast double and before I hit the mat he was Guillotined hard. He gassed at about 2 min where I'd start setting up submissions and he tapped. He quit at 3 min.

My current challenge is someone that just wants to see how he does. I'm not going to cheat him from a good match. I'm not going to take it easy on him and I'm definitely not going to take anything for granted.

I've found that the untrained have no understanding of how hopeless they really are against someone that is trained. He might decide to start training and leave aerobics to the chicks.

Really if you can't tap this guy out, than you need to learn from it, because losing to this guy might not mean you suck, but that you slipped up somehow some way.

Lol I hate this mentality. It's obvious that he's not a meathead and that he's just trying to test himself lol. I do the same thing sometimes, I even had a friendly fight with a hoodlum who works at a 7-eleven, it was just to test myself lol. You can prepare for anything even prepare for a street fight. Nothing wrong with it, people say that it's over confidence to test yourself against someone but it's not it's just trying to get better anyway you know how.
Well the co-worker is obviously going to train Jiu Jitsu to prepare for a Jiu Jitsu match. If Jiu Jitsu sucks then why train it to defend against it. The challenger should be able to defeat @KikoJones without training Jiu Jitsu if he thinks this art is garbage.

Well the co-worker is obviously going to train Jiu Jitsu to prepare for a Jiu Jitsu match. If Jiu Jitsu sucks then why train it to defend against it. The challenger should be able to defeat @KikoJones without training Jiu Jitsu if he thinks this art is garbage.

I don't think his coworker thinks the art is garbage I think he just wants to test himself. There's a 95% chance of him winning against him. The other 5% would be a mistake that @KikoJones might make.

I don't think his coworker thinks the art is garbage I think he just wants to test himself. There's a 95% chance of him winning against him. The other 5% would be a mistake that @KikoJones might make.
For me if the guy wants to test himself just go take a class. You’ll find it testing especially the first time. No need to do this mini training camp. The first few training sessions he does with the guy who knows some MMA will open his eyes as to how out of his depth he is. Providing the MMA guy is at least competent.

For me if the guy wants to test himself just go take a class. You’ll find it testing especially the first time. No need to do this mini training camp. The first few training sessions he does with the guy who knows some MMA will open his eyes as to how out of his depth he is. Providing the MMA guy is at least competent.

Some people rather do it a different way. He said he wants to prepare which means that he's taking him seriously. Maybe he has other priorities, or doesn't have time to go to a bjj gym 4-5 days a week, there could be a number of reasons. Maybe he'll start training after he grapples with @KikoJones.

Why does he have to “prepare”. I thought he wanted a challenge. If he is such a bad ass he would just go to your gym tonight, meet you and you guys go at it.

It makes a lot more sense to see if you can beat someone at something with some initial preparation then go in without any and loose instantly.

Some people rather do it a different way. He said he wants to prepare which means that he's taking him seriously. Maybe he has other priorities, or doesn't have time to go to a bjj gym 4-5 days a week, there could be a number of reasons. Maybe he'll start training after he grapples with @KikoJones.
If he’s not properly training he’s not really taking it seriously and if he is taking it seriously he should just stop all the rubbish and join TS in training. At least that’s what makes sense to me, he is messing around training with the MMA guy and wasting time. Just get involved if you want or don’t if not!

It makes a lot more sense to see if you can beat someone at something with some initial preparation then go in without any and loose instantly.
I don’t completely disagree with your premise. The problem arises if @KikoJones actually loses, which I doubt will happen. But if he loses the co-worker will say Jiu Jitsu sucks and @KikoJones sucks. If the co-worker is as tough as he thinks he wouldn’t need to train.

I don’t completely disagree with your premise. The problem arises if @KikoJones actually loses, which I doubt will happen. But if he loses the co-worker will say Jiu Jitsu sucks and @KikoJones sucks. If the co-worker is as tough as he thinks he wouldn’t need to train.

Against a purple belt, hes going to have to prepare, he might have some wrestling friends or some mma friends to help him. Or he has a wrestling background you never know. The point is that this guy is taking TS seriously, if he wasn't he wouldn't be preparing for him.

Will you be starting from standing or on your knees?

Dogstarman has a point imho. If you challenge somebody because you think his art isn't strong or useful, it doesn't make a lot of sense to train it (or the best similar thing) in the meantime, or at least if you do it kinda disprove your point. Then it isn't really clear if this what this guy thinks.

Dogstarman has a point imho. If you challenge somebody because you think his art isn't strong or useful, it doesn't make a lot of sense to train it (or the best similar thing) in the meantime, or at least if you do it kinda disprove your point. Then it isn't really clear if this what this guy thinks.

If you think the art is total bullshit it doesn't make sense, I could take a challenge a submission match against an aikido grand master/steven segal/etc. without any preparation although I'm sure some sparring with an aikido guys would reduce the <1% chance they pull of something.
But if you believe the art is legit but you think you have a chance against the guy it makes sense.
It seems possible the weakest blue belts could get tapped by someone with a month of preparation.

Standing.

I would bet money he's going to come at you with a very hard takedown. What's the height difference? I hope you plan on getting the takedown or trip. He might slam you hard.

I cannot conceive of any circumstance where someone with no grappling experience is able to submit a purple belt, even at 52, without the BJJ guy somehow suffering an injury. Inconceivable. Even if due to size and age it's just a question of surviving until the opponent gets tired. Its odd that someone would doubt their skills like this.

He might surprise you with some unhortodox bullshit, but tap you out? If you're a legit purple belt that's impossible. Hell even if you were a blue belt...

Back