Friction+Weak skin=Blisters

JackLancewell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have a tendency to get blisters from friction (like doing them crazy forward semi-circle things on the D-Pad on games) and it's pretty annoying. Now you will think "wtf is this kid posting in standup for?" Well, I was training the other day on low kicks, and the repeated friction of pivoting formed a blister on the ball of my foot which later opened up to my misfortune. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm looking into wrapping athletic tape around the area below my toes to protect the balls of my feet, but (1) what's the correct way to do it and (2) would it be bad since I wouldn't be able to condition the skin?

Well, I have a tendency to get blisters from friction (like doing them crazy forward semi-circle things on the D-Pad on games) and it's pretty annoying. Now you will think "wtf is this kid posting in standup for?" Well, I was training the other day on low kicks, and the repeated friction of pivoting formed a blister on the ball of my foot which later opened up to my misfortune. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm looking into wrapping athletic tape around the area below my toes to protect the balls of my feet, but (1) what's the correct way to do it and (2) would it be bad since I wouldn't be able to condition the skin?

Ouch!!!! I actually had a similar problem when I began training. Good news, the blister means you're probably doing the kick correctly!

I did use athletic tape around the ball of my foot when I got blisters, it allowed me to continue training, but be carefull, those mats are slick as shit when you get that tape on your foot. I landed on my ass several times! Other option would be to get a pair of mat shoes......... I was to cheap for that option. However, once my foot healed I would go back to training without the tape and now it is no longer a problem. Good luck!

You need to get those blisters...keep working on it and your feet will callous up.the bottom of my feet might as well have treads on them cause they are so calloused

I get blisters on my feet all the time and I have been doing some form of martial arts for over 10 years. 1 time in particular I was sparring (with no apparent blister forming up) and while side stepping with my left foot I slid my right foot into position and the skin on my right big toe just ripped off. I instantly threw off my shin guard and hopped to the restroom. It looked like someone sliced the bottom of my foot where the toe and the ball of the foot bend (i guess you could say). It was nasty, bleeding everywhere. I have baby feet i know. life goes on.

And you guys are on mats? I have very tender feet and cannot walk outside barefoot, but I have never got a blister on the bottom of my feet. I get them on the tops of my feet all the time when practicing takedowns. I don't know. I have never had the slightest discomfort with on soles of my feet.

Usually, the mat will dry your feet out temporarily and will kind of harden them.

when i started boxing i got the sickest blisters. Now they're just unsightly callouses. I posted a thread wondering how i could manage them, i forget what peopel suggested though.

Just fight through it. Everybody gets blisters during the beginning, it means your forming tougher skin so no big deal.

easy to prevent. my old gym had wooden floors and i either used vasoline or a runner's stick on my foot.

And you guys are on mats? I have very tender feet and cannot walk outside barefoot, but I have never got a blister on the bottom of my feet. I get them on the tops of my feet all the time when practicing takedowns. I don't know. I have never had the slightest discomfort with on soles of my feet.

Usually, the mat will dry your feet out temporarily and will kind of harden them.

I train on zebra mats. Its not the mats, its my feet. they fail me.

Well we have mats, but the friction is still there. I guess I'll just have to train with the tape until the blister is fully healed, then it'll be naked again. Hopefully, they won't form again :[

This never happened before when I did MMA standup. Only explanation I could think of would be because I did A LOT of kicking.

I train on zebra mats. Its not the mats, its my feet. they fail me.

I don't know. Once I get sweaty, it isn't a problem( my feet sweat alot when I do my thing). It's pretty slippery actually. Maybe your not pivoting right, like bearing down too hard on the pivot foot. Do you weigh alot?

the blisters are part of the journey the skin will toughen up eventually. Until then it is probably just going to suck.

I play soccer barefoot on streets . Nothing came up . Your feet will get over it after awhile so don't worry . Unless you have baby feet lol .

I play soccer barefoot on streets . Nothing came up . Your feet will get over it after awhile so don't worry . Unless you have baby feet lol .

There are products to help with this. I have a bottle. TuffSkin(?). Asian World of martial Arts has this and can ship it (AWMA.com...The leading distributor of martial arts supplies, boxing gear & exercise equipment.) I stopped using it because it was from china and I stopped using it when they killed animals with poison in the pet food (2006). It is very popular but I like to know what is in stuff that I use. You will need to callous the feet. Do that off the mat. It will take you a while.

I used rubbing alcohol to dry out the feet. Put a cloth on your foot with alcohol and leave it there a few times a day. Walked barefoot whenever I could. Did shorter barefoot workouts (15 minutes) multiple times a day and kept my feet dry. You should want to see hard skin.

NooOOo, my beautiful feet. What will happen to my pedicured feet and my foot modeling career?!

I'm just going to do it the natural way by training hard, get a blister, put bandaid+athletic tape, train more.

Back