Frias Zahabi breaking down why banning kicks to the knee is stupid

If the ultimate purpose of MMA is to injure your opponent, then let's legalize eye pokes and kicks to the nuts. Obviously there are other things in the equation.

What makes kicks to the knee the same level of dirty as eye pokes and nut shots? I'm not seeing the equivalence

What makes kicks to the knee the same level of dirty as eye pokes and nut shots? I'm not seeing the equivalence
What makes a head butt worse than this kick?

Head punches have killed people before. Made many, many more people suffer from lifelong brain damage leading to domestic abuse, psychotic mental illness, memory problems, logical thinking abilities gone, drug addiction, alcoholism, etc. Much worse than ligament damage. We don't ban them.

Other combat sports do ban head punches for those exact reasons. But this is MMA -- we seek to find the most effective, realistic combat martial arts. If we can't allow a kick to the knee, we're going to far in the direction of safety over combat.

Name a few UFC fighters that hava died/suffered lifelong damage from head punches?

I totally get why people hate this technique being used on them. Its essentially forceful joint manipulation that your opponent cant tap out from. Youre going to seriously injure your opponent. Might end his career.

Im not sure about banning it, but i know if guys throw that at me in sparring, im not happy about it.

I'm not sure about banning it either. Fighters need to adapt and float their lead leg more. It does take a special kind of an asshole to throw that kick in sparring though.

Name a few UFC fighters that hava died/suffered lifelong damage from head punches?
Wait you seriously can't think of any UFC fighters with lifelong brain damage????????? rofl how long you been watching MMA?

Deaths are in boxing, so far.

pretty much sums my take on it up.

"If we're playing rock paper scissors and I use rock all the time, I don't try to ban paper"

he seems to be right. wonderboy stance is so anti punch and wonderboy wants to ban the countertechnique to his stace.

Wait you seriously can't think of any UFC fighters with lifelong brain damage????????? rofl how long you been watching MMA?

Deaths are in boxing, so far.

tenor.gif

Some techniques are banned because of the injuries they can cause.
12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.

12-6 elbows were not banned because of the injuries they could cause, they were banned because of the publics perception of how dangerous they are.

Kicking a downed opponent is actually not even banned. It's a legal technique currently. You just can't target the head.

Groin strikes, again, public perception.

Attacks to the eye are not banned. Certain attacks, like finger poking, are. However, punching a fighter in the eye is legal.

Attacks targeting the spine as well as the back of the head are indeed not allowed due to the risk and severity of the possible results.

Learning to adapt and neutralize the threat of these kicks are the job of the fighter. Certainly, CTE is far more dangerous, but we aren't talking about outlawing strikes to the head.

The NFL banned blocking below the waist because the nature of the injury resulting from this technique was destroying knees and ending careers.

The same logic could be applied to MMA without diminishing the sport.

12-6 elbows were banned because some idiot from the New Jersey AC had seen brick breaking demonstrations on ESPN and believed that downward elbows would cause a human skull to rupture like a watermelon getting hit with a sledgehammer.

It's probably the silliest part of the unified rules.

Yeah we know Joe..
At this point, atleast half of the MMA fanbase could probably write that Rogan quote out with 90% accuracy. I'm pretty sure I've heard it in my dreams even.

I guess they should ban checking of leg kicks, I've seen it break the legs of the fighter throwing them.
Breaking a leg is less bad than tearing your ligaments.

A lot of fighters use it, and Thompson's injury is only one of a handful that have occurred as a result.

The controversy surrounding it was mainly a means to bash Jones before he turned into a total trainwreck and provided real ammunition for his detractors.
There is a reason Jones was one of the main guys to use those kicks. Just like he is one of the main guys to eye poke his opponents. He's a dirty fighting cheat piece of shit.

Back