Frias Zahabi breaking down why banning kicks to the knee is stupid

I guess they should ban checking of leg kicks, I've seen it break the legs of the fighter throwing them.

that argument makes no sense. if rock and scissors can win you the fight without injuring the opponent and making him unable to resume his career but paper makes you win the fight with the risk of injuring the opponent then why should it not be banned? if "paper" fighters are unable to beat side way stance without a move that can lead to serious injury its time to change your style. but the point of the ban is obviously not to have a more favorable matchup but to make the sport safer.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'll go out on a limb here and bet Joe Rogan mentions 12-6 elbows.

I guess punches could ill you too, they should be illegal. Lol anyone who says that is an idiot.

Nope don't wanna hear this now when rampage said it in the Jones fight people said "he should stop whining" now wonder boy says it and people are more receptive to it lol.

They need to ban this "sport", not only could someone get hurt, all this glorified violence is also a bad influence on children.
think of the children.jpg

12-6 elbows were banned because some idiot from the New Jersey AC had seen brick breaking demonstrations on ESPN and believed that downward elbows would cause a human skull to rupture like a watermelon getting hit with a sledgehammer.

It's probably the silliest part of the unified rules.
People don’t seem to realize that a 12 to 6 elbow is the same amount of force hitting on a smaller target, which basically means more concentrated impact and more damage done to bone. That means skull fractures. Not worse then a flying knee, but look what happened to cyborg. If you think skulls collapsing isn’t a possibility here, you’re not using your brain. If that’s what you want, then so be it.

Last edited:
Might as well ban punching or kicking someone’s nose. Wandy suffered years of breathing issues through his nose and Rory Mac had to take close to a year because of nose issues.

12-6 elbows were banned because some idiot from the New Jersey AC had seen brick breaking demonstrations on ESPN and believed that downward elbows would cause a human skull to rupture like a watermelon getting hit with a sledgehammer.

It was because a doctor was sitting ringside, and saw Gan McGee fight someone he outweighed by 100 lbs, and he ended up dropping several of those elbows on the back of the guys head. The doctor mentioned blocks of ice getting broken as an afterthought.

Just because Firas hasn't actually fought in mma before doesn't mean he doesn't really know what he's talking about. I guarantee he has better understanding of the whole fight game then any of us sherdoggers for the most part.

Agreed, and Firas' argument is moot as he conveniently overlooks the obvious fact that plenty of other strikes are indeed banned. His rock paper scissors analysis probably appeals to people who simply already agree with him, but it is an irrelevant comparison.

No one argues for these strikes to be banned because they can not overcome them in a fight - the debate is due to the unnecessary injuries they cause that are not truly the product of winning the striking battle.

I see them as more similar to eye gouges than a move in rock-paper-scissors.

This, and the other stuff you said. It's a give and take between, sport, safety and entertainment. I'd also add, is MMA significantly worse with out them?

Did the elbow ban in PRIDE make it hard for you to enjoy the fights?

Some techniques are banned because of the injuries they can cause.
12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.

what is the goal of fighting again?

oh yeah, to injure your opponent. that's how you beat him.

I don't think push knees add much to a fight in terms of entertainment for the audience and they also can derail careers when a fighter has to take months (if not years) to rehab a knee that was ruined by this technique. Soccer kicks should come back though. No more turtling to save your life.

You can still throw the elbow with the exact same result when it lands. If the arm is at an angle, then pivoted on the way to its target then made vertical a few inches before it lands, it is legal. Absolutely no difference in the way the strike lands. This is a dumb ass rule. I think the knee stomp is a bitch move. I remember JJ trying the flying knee stomp on OSP. I think guys would rather get soccer kicked in the head.

There is a line between hurting your opponent and maiming them. Athletes usually respect each other in that sense. In football you dont see everyone trying to hyper-extend each other's knees on every play. When it happens the athletes and fan's usually feel bad about it. Only in UFC the "tough guys" think it's cool.

what is the goal of fighting again?

oh yeah, to injure your opponent. that's how you beat him.

If the ultimate purpose of MMA is to injure your opponent, then let's legalize eye pokes and kicks to the nuts. Obviously there are other things in the equation.

Here come all the political science majors to give their take on why the kick should be banned lol

I see both sides of the coin. I'm just a dumb mediocre former wrestler, so my take on banning them may be different. Wrestlers had a damn large portion of their "paper" removed along with head butts, postage stamp got even smaller with standups. If the strikers lose a little paint off the handle of scissors, I'm okay with it.

Lots of wrestlers are viewed as huggers and boring. Most don't even understand head butts were banned to level the playing field, and how it limits the dominant wrestler.

Back