Frias Zahabi breaking down why banning kicks to the knee is stupid

pretty much sums my take on it up.

"If we're playing rock paper scissors and I use rock all the time, I don't try to ban paper"

has firas ever even had an mma fight? who gives a fuck about his opinion

There’s no logical reason why they should be banned

Wonderboy didn't campaign about them til it happend to him.

has firas ever even had an mma fight? who gives a fuck about his opinion

He has high level credentials in BJJ wrestling and striking, I think he’s competed in all of them individually.

If there’s a coach in sports you are going to make that argument against it’s not him.

Some techniques are banned because of the injuries they can cause.
12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.
Exactly. Its really this simple but there always always always has to be two fucking sides to everything because people bitch and at the end of the day simply want what they want and what might benefit them in some way shape or form.

It's a normal technique in Savate and it's been for a long time. I reckon it hasn't produced mass casualties in that sport. Fighters simply need to step up and learn how to defend.

Fighting isn't Rock-Paper-Scissors. It's a fight, shit happens

I use rock and you try to use paper. Oops you were too slow, looks like rock works anyway.Enjoy the 1+ year lay off and multiple surgeries.

Don't we just love our fighters being in the hospital instead of fighting?

Some techniques are banned because of the injuries they can cause.
12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.

Agreed, and Firas' argument is moot as he conveniently overlooks the obvious fact that plenty of other strikes are indeed banned. His rock paper scissors analysis probably appeals to people who simply already agree with him, but it is an irrelevant comparison.

No one argues for these strikes to be banned because they can not overcome them in a fight - the debate is due to the unnecessary injuries they cause that are not truly the product of winning the striking battle.

I see them as more similar to eye gouges than a move in rock-paper-scissors.

wonder what his stance would be if GSP or his brother got injured from one.

Imo fighters who use moves considered as “breakers” (those that are high percentage and most probable to break a limb/dislocate something while striking - like for example the knee kick and that grimy move that Jones did on Glover that ended up dislocating his shoulder I believe). Those not only have bad intentions of ruining someone’s career, they are also unethical in combat sports across the board. Why should they be permitted in mma ?

Anyways who cares , not that invested in arguing over this

Forget about fighting, Joe is making a fucking clown of himself trying to talk philosophy with Zahabi. My god, is he dense.

Here come all the political science majors to give their take on why the kick should be banned lol

It makes the sport more boring. Rangy fighters can stop their opponents from engaging by threatening to hyper-extend the knee. Is it a good fighting move? Yeah. But it makes the spectacle worse.
Dumb comment and even dumber calling MMA a "spectacle".

it's a hell of a technique that few even really thought about even 10 years ago.

i'm not surprised that it's controversial.

but Wonderboy will most likely lose his campaign to remove them.
honestly this technique goes back a long way. it's just a dirty trick. I remember my dad telling me about it back when I was in my teens, and he was just a dirty street fighter

Its a logical move to combat the karate stance.. every martial arts stance have advantages and drawbacks.

Agreed, and Firas' argument is moot as he conveniently overlooks the obvious fact that plenty of other strikes are indeed banned. His rock paper scissors analysis probably appeals to people who simply already agree with him, but it is an irrelevant comparison.

No one argues for these strikes to be banned because they can not overcome them in a fight - the debate is due to the unnecessary injuries they cause that are not truly the product of winning the striking battle.

I see them as more similar to eye gouges than a move in rock-paper-scissors.

Where are all the injuries from those kicks though? Yoel ate a fuckton of those kicks in his last fight against Whitaker and his leg is fine. There are more fighters injuring their leg kicking shit. So lets ban leg kicks

Back