Freestyle World Champ Frank Chamizo Moving to NYC

ye

yeah khabib had his first 2 fights there but he felt they diidnt have good cage takedowns and wrestling for mma at a top level so he left to aka cause during that time aka had jon fitch koscheck ect and was like the best wreslting gym at that time 2011 2012
AKA may still be the best wrestling gym in MMA.

isnt frankie edgar eddie alvarez and edson barbosa's gym near there as well? jersey has a awesome scene

i think it has to do with mma being banned in nyc so in the surrounding areas it blew up i think it will take a few years for nyc to build strong mma gyms due to it just being legalized a few years back
Yeah there is a ton of talent in NJ. I know Eddie, Frankie, Moraes, Mark Henry, Edson, Ricardo Almaeda, all train together. I believe their home base is Nick Catone's gym but I believe Henry and Almaeda have their own spot as well. I think NJ's proximity to NYC is a key point, plus NJ has a tremendous HS wrestling scene. But Long Island has always had top MMA talent as well. Tommy Botone's kickboxing, Serra's, LI MMA, Bellmore Kickboxing, etc. Nassau Community College and Hofstra's wrestling teams contributed to the MMA talent a lot as well.

do you think the fact that mma was illegal n ny is why nyc is full of boxing muay thai and bjj but no
Yeah there is a ton of talent in NJ. I know Eddie, Frankie, Moraes, Mark Henry, Edson, Ricardo Almaeda, all train together. I believe their home base is Nick Catone's gym but I believe Henry and Almaeda have their own spot as well. I think NJ's proximity to NYC is a key point, plus NJ has a tremendous HS wrestling scene. But Long Island has always had top MMA talent as well. Tommy Botone's kickboxing, Serra's, LI MMA, Bellmore Kickboxing, etc. Nassau Community College and Hofstra's wrestling teams contributed to the MMA talent a lot as well.
mma gyms? i think it has to be the reason muay thai is dead in usa but tons of gyms r n nyc mma is biggest combat sport atm and no gyms have primary mma focuses

AKA may still be the best wrestling gym in MMA.

i think its by far att now having mike brown as head mma coach steve mocco coaching guys and romero and the cuban free style guys. dustin poriers wrestling greatlyyyy improved when he went there that double he shot on anthony pettis was so smooth

i think its by far att now having mike brown as head mma coach steve mocco coaching guys and romero and the cuban free style guys. dustin poriers wrestling greatlyyyy improved when he went there that double he shot on anthony pettis was so smooth
No doubt Mike Brown and Steve Mocco are outstanding wrestling/MMA/MMA-Wrestling coaches, but ATT also lost Kami Barzini who was an outstanding wrestling coach. And ATT Kendall may have Vila, Romero, and the rest of the Cuban wrestlers but the only one with a proven track record as a coach (Alexis Vila) is having serious legal problems at the moment and I don't think he is still heading up that gym.

AKA has DC, Cain, Jamil Kelly (much of the time), Khabib, and all the top wrestlers DC attracts to that gym.

You cant discount Jackson's either. Izzy Martinez might be the most accomplished MMA wrestling coach there is.

You also cant forget Kami Barzini's new home, Combat Club, who also has Greg jones and Bebak Nejad. Hell, Long island MMA might be right up there too with Kyle Cerminara as head coach along with Ryan laFlare, Gregor Gillespie, Bermudez, etc.

There is also Antonio McKee's gym and Koscheck's as well. And Roufusport is closely associated with the Askren Bros wrestling clubs.

There are a bunch of places for fighters to up their wrestling.

No doubt Mike Brown and Steve Mocco are outstanding wrestling/MMA/MMA-Wrestling coaches, but ATT also lost Kami Barzini who was an outstanding wrestling coach. And ATT Kendall may have Vila, Romero, and the rest of the Cuban wrestlers but the only one with a proven track record as a coach (Alexis Vila) is having serious legal problems at the moment and I don't think he is still heading up that gym.

AKA has DC, Cain, Jamil Kelly (much of the time), Khabib, and all the top wrestlers DC attracts to that gym.

You cant discount Jackson's either. Izzy Martinez might be the most accomplished MMA wrestling coach there is.

You also cant forget Kami Barzini's new home, Combat Club, who also has Greg jones and Bebak Nejad. Hell, Long island MMA might be right up there too with Kyle Cerminara as head coach along with Ryan laFlare, Gregor Gillespie, Bermudez, etc.

There is also Antonio McKee's gym and Koscheck's as well. And Roufusport is closely associated with the Askren Bros wrestling clubs.

i think att is the best over all place atm for certain weights 170-155 especially att is known for amazing jiu jitsu guys good striking and they have great wreslting now as well

long island mma does have great wrestling. dennis i think has the most takedowns ever in ufc, they actually have a strong focus on takedowns. most gyms dont really have a wrestling class or if they do its once a week only. i find that to be a bit nutty especially if you wana be a grappler in the sport

Kyle Crutchmer, who I believe is an accomplished college wrestler has his second MMA fight either this weekend, or next. He is from AKA, too. Also can't forget AKA Thailand, where I believe Aliakbari trains from.

I think it is great because DC runs his own wrestling classes there, not just wrestling for mma. But real wrestling. I have been to AKA before, but would really love to go back.

Kyle Crutchmer, who I believe is an accomplished college wrestler has his second MMA fight either this weekend, or next. He is from AKA, too. Also can't forget AKA Thailand, where I believe Aliakbari trains from.

I think it is great because DC runs his own wrestling classes there, not just wrestling for mma. But real wrestling. I have been to AKA before, but would really love to go back.
Crutchmer was a 2x All American and a big shot on the high school scene. He should be a damn good MMAer. Especially considering it appears that he is looking to get out there and get fights asap.

i was told years ago before they even opened there new location that they are very weird about guys coming into train with there good guys that they even refused ufc guys who wanted to come train ect is that true?

The NYC RTC has been around since last year and it is housed at Columbia University and obviously very closely associated with Columbia's DI wrestling team. Unfortunately they exist to facilitate world class wrestling and there are criteria for joining. It is a joint venture of sorts between Columbia Wrestling, Edge Wrestling in Hoboken NJ, and USA wrestling. The criteria can be found here:
http://www.nycrtc.org/faqs
But you basically have to be an established wrestler already doing well on the senior scene or a bigshot on the High School circuit. They don't mention NCAA wrestlers in the criteria but Im sure being an All American gets you in. Kendal Cross is the head coach.

Gosh. Since you apparently know everything about NY, is this any way affiliated with NYAC? It seems like for a long time NYAC and Sunkist Kids were the big international wrestling clubs in the states.

Gosh. Since you apparently know everything about NY, is this any way affiliated with NYAC? It seems like for a long time NYAC and Sunkist Kids were the big international wrestling clubs in the states.
That's a good question man, but I'm not sure. I know you're right that at one time those 2 were the biggest clubs but then Foxcatcher came along and nobody could compete with that kind of money. After Foxcatcher was gone the Dave Schultz WC was born and enjoyed a nice run. Sunkist and NYAC are still around and I believe Sunkist is still one of the prominent clubs but I'm not sure about NYAC. The NYAC used to host a pretty prestigious international tournament every year but its been replaced/rebranded the Bill Farrell International. As far as I can tell the biggest club now is Titan Mercury. I'm actually interested now in knowing what's the state of the NYAC. I think the emergence of clubs closely affiliated with universities, ie Finger Lakes up near Cornell, Hawkeye WC at Iowa, Cliff Keen at Michigan, etc and Titan Mercury being so well funded has rendered NYAC not as relevant. I could be wrong though.

I am 90% sure that Chamizo will be in mma after wrestling.

frank camizzo's style of wrestling wont work in mma, same reason MGs style didn't work. its too flamboyant.

frank camizzo's style of wrestling wont work in mma, same reason MGs style didn't work. its too flamboyant.
Someone ask him to explain how that is? Chamizo’s main tie and solid attacks come from abasic underhook series. People said Askrens style wouldn’t work in mma. @dsdoubled will you ask him? Think he ignored me because he couldn’t actually answer

Even though its obviously impossible to prove what you're saying about Chamizo, do you really think he doesn't have an extensive, thorough, understanding of wrestling basics? Are you saying that if he entered MMA and decided he was going to win his fights primarily with wrestling that he would be unable to do so?

Someone ask him to explain how that is? Chamizo’s main tie and solid attacks come from abasic underhook series. People said Askrens style wouldn’t work in mma. @dsdoubled will you ask him? Think he ignored me because he couldn’t actually answer
Where did this guy come from? Have i just not encountered him before or is he newly dedicated to trolling?

MG has a super simple style of jiu jitsu.
With Chamizo he’s demonstrating two things.
First is a lack of both film study and understanding of Technique. Chamizo actually demonstrates more of the type of technique applicable to MMA than Askren did while competing in wrestling

Second. Given what he’s said about other things. He is probably of the misguided opinion that because Chamizo can have somewhat Dandyish mannerisms at times that he thinks that Chamizo is too “fruity” to be “tough” enough for MMA or some such nonsense. Just my impression

I guess he’s trying to say Marcelo isn’t tough

Why wouldn't Frank Chamizo use what's applicable in MMA if he fought in MMA? I don't know about wrestling technique but he seems to be a creative flowing grappler rather a schematic one.

Back