freestyle padwork

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
freestyle padwork, primarily focused on the hands.

i didnt know you did the voice over for mortal kombat 1 character voices

Dat sound.

Hey, it's the poor padman guy! Haha!

You have a very stable base and good balance, nice hooks as well. I'd watch out for your knees especially and not trade too much on the inside. Then again you have a very solid lowkick and pretty good highkick so there's that too.

Dat sound.

Hey, it's the poor padman guy! Haha!

You have a very stable base and good balance, nice hooks as well. I'd watch out for your knees especially and not trade too much on the inside. Then again you have a very solid lowkick and pretty good highkick so there's that too.

thanks bro, i would like to think that all my techniques are decent or that I am well rounded but one thing i noticed for myself and that I have been working on for the past yr or so would be my boxing, as in using your hands like a boxer rather than MT, so boxing combinations, footwork, etc etc.

Obviously I can always improve and get better in everyone one of my techniques, but now as I am writing this and thinking, I am happy right now with my skill level everywhere as my boxing has now improved so I feel im well rounded in all my techniques.

lol yes padman guy, i tend to go hard on him, hes my protege, i taught him everything i know in muay thai and im his first coach and hes my long term friend, training partner, and padman, hes an excellent padman and has helped me prepare for all my fights, reason I go hard on him is he can be a little timid, his skill level is very high but hes not aggressive enough and too much of a nice guy to use what he knows in sparring. I have seen a few guys like that where they have a high skill level, but just arent aggressive without that killer instinct and they dont do very good at fighting. we have been working on getting him more aggressive.

Last edited:
thanks bro, i would like to think that all my techniques are decent or that I am well rounded but one thing i noticed for myself and that I have been working on for the past yr or so would be my boxing, as in using your hands like a boxer rather than MT, so boxing combinations, footwork, etc etc.

Obviously I can always improve and get better in everyone one of my techniques, but now as I am writing this and thinking, I am happy right now with my skill level everywhere as my boxing has now improved so I feel im well rounded in all my techniques.

lol yes padman guy, i tend to go hard on him, hes my protege, i taught him everything i know in muay thai and im his first coach and hes my long term friend, training partner, and padman, hes an excellent padman and has helped me prepare for all my fights, reason I go hard on him is he can be a little timid, his skill level is very high but hes not aggressive enough and too much of a nice guy to use what he knows in sparring. I have seen a few guys like that where they have a high skill level, but just arent aggressive without that killer instinct and they dont do very good at fighting. we have been working on getting him more aggressive.
Yeah you're very well rounded. How old are you btw?

Haha yeah well, he did seem like he had skill in the sparring video too, but timid as you say. Chin way up in the air though very hittable so that would probably be another thing to work on with him. It's awesome training with your pals and helping each other to improve.

@shincheckin yells in 8 bit! Found your voice over in the retro street fighter games

Yeah you're very well rounded. How old are you btw?

Haha yeah well, he did seem like he had skill in the sparring video too, but timid as you say. Chin way up in the air though very hittable so that would probably be another thing to work on with him. It's awesome training with your pals and helping each other to improve.

im 35 now! physically plenty of years left but the amount of time and commitment makes it difficult with all of lifes other responsibilities.

Do you get to use body hooks in your MT matches? I found them very risky for the guy throwing them, and your clip gives me the same impression: Danger for a nasty elbow counter.
Specially the double ones around 16-17 sec, seems to me that they open your defense a lot.
But I' m known to be a punch hater, so if they work for you...

Do you get to use body hooks in your MT matches? I found them very risky for the guy throwing them, and your clip gives me the same impression: Danger for a nasty elbow counter.
Specially the double ones around 16-17 sec, seems to me that they open your defense a lot.
But I' m known to be a punch hater, so if they work for you...

1 thing i never worked much was body rips as they are under utilized in muay thai, why punch the body when you can kick or knee it, that being said body punches can be effective (dekkers etc.) so I have been practicing them. My last fight I landed alot of body hooks actually, both left and right side. and for the first time ever, i landed the doubling up on the hook as well. it went, R overhand, L body hook, L head hook, R cross to the body. The L head hook landed clean. My video is titled improvements, to some it might just look like someone running around or whatever, but for me, it was all things we had been working on, primarily boxing, footwork, etc and I was able to pull it off in the fight. as I have been trying to learn boxing and incorporate it into my muay thai as I am primarily a muay khao, so generally speaking I will just clinch/knee/kick, the local scene is so small, most ppl know clinch is my strong point and guys fight me with the specific game plan of not clinching, so i have been working on the outside game to be more well rounded

about 20 seconds in

Glad to see it work for you in competition. Just keep in mind the disadvantage they have, there is a reason it's not the most common strike in MT, even if it's a "simple" technique.
In that last clip, the guy had some opportunities to go for the clinch, but was kind of panic blocking the punches... Obviously it's because your punching game was effective, but a more experienced/calm opponent may take better advantage of the situation.
Don't get me wrong, having a second type of style is a very big advantage, just be sure to use it against the proper opponent...

I really like your piercing knee at 00:40

if only they wore head gear for amateur fights in thailand theyd last alot longer come pro time :(

if only they wore head gear for amateur fights in thailand theyd last alot longer come pro time :(

Possibly not the correlation between brain damage and headgear usually means that the bouncing of the brain is worse and the neck rotation is worse. They get a lot more cuts in amateurs but the brain damage is significantly less than if they wore headgear. Its the reason why they removed headgear from the Olympics.
The other reason being in Thai you really don't want any obscurities in your vision so they would have to wear the AIBA headgear which is practically pointless. The three thai trainers at my gym have roughly 250 fights each and don't show any signs of slowing down. But who knows how their brain will be in 10 years.

Glad to see it work for you in competition. Just keep in mind the disadvantage they have, there is a reason it's not the most common strike in MT, even if it's a "simple" technique.
In that last clip, the guy had some opportunities to go for the clinch, but was kind of panic blocking the punches... Obviously it's because your punching game was effective, but a more experienced/calm opponent may take better advantage of the situation.
Don't get me wrong, having a second type of style is a very big advantage, just be sure to use it against the proper opponent...

I really like your piercing knee at 00:40

thanks bro yeah i totally agree with you...one thing i try to remember is to just go with the flow, meaning during the fight, dont look for something, go with the flow and use whatever works, if something works do it again. I was pretty lucky in this fight, i took it on 2 weeks notice after partying so i was out of shape, my R shin was also injured for the fight, i was forced to rely on my boxing and all the stuff we had been working on, and as it turned out, hands is what was working on him.......but it kinda sucks at the same time because i knew of him before our fight, hes a pure thai style and big kicker, which I basically am too, i was really looking fwd to the fight because its not too common locally here for 2 guys with our styles to get matched up (theres a heavy mma influence on fight style around here) it would have been really fun because we basically could of had a thai style kicking match....had my leg not been injured I would have fought that way rather then boxed. that knee at 40 seconds in......man I was dead tired as out of shape for the fight, that was me relying on my bread and butter. I wanted to make a clip as everyone was joking about my ooiiee!! in the other clips.... you can hear me say ooiiee when i throw that knee.

Not having head gear makes you focus a lot more on head movement to doge punches rather than taking them because of that false sense of security.

Not having head gear makes you focus a lot more on head movement to doge punches rather than taking them because of that false sense of security.

i agree but I would also mention that sparring with head gear allow you to take bigger risks and do things you may not usually do, allowing you to learn these new things, thus improving and carrying it over to when you take the headgear off.

i always thought this was cool

yeha but boxing uses head gear and its whole purpose is to hit the head vs the body

muay thai is kicks to the body knees ect especially in thailand boxing isnt really used alot i think would help guys alot as amateurs so they could have a longer pro career

as is aid boxers use it and they punch to the head much more than thais do

i agree but I would also mention that sparring with head gear allow you to take bigger risks and do things you may not usually do, allowing you to learn these new things, thus improving and carrying it over to when you take the headgear off.

i always thought this was cool

Just curious about these types, is it possible to fog up the front from heavy breathing? Or if you're Russian and spar in -50 degrees outdoors?

Just curious about these types, is it possible to fog up the front from heavy breathing? Or if you're Russian and spar in -50 degrees outdoors?

i have no idea as I have never used one, I would guess they do fog up, they sell stuff to keep it from fogging up. I played ice hockey as a kid and had a similar headgear and anti-fog spray

bauer_concept_2_mask.png

1337287891294-715039765.jpeg

Back