Once A Pioneer Of The Free Speech Movement, UC Berkeley Is Now Giving In To Violent Rioters.

So, let's see...

The conservative student groups backed out

Ann cancels her speech, but might still go to the university to "walk around".

At least three other conservative speakers decide they will speak there, no word on whether there is an invite to them or if they plan on just showing up and talking, and they plan on reading from the speech Ann was going to give.

Police are still planning for potential protests and violence and are "talking tough" about 0% for violence and disruption tomorrow and plan to have a heavy presence on campus. They have apparently also notified other police agencies to be prepared to assist if things get crazy.

Hmmm. Maybe tomorrow will be popcorn worthy after all.

So, let's see...

The conservative student groups backed out

Ann cancels her speech, but might still go to the university to "walk around".

At least three other conservative speakers decide they will speak there, no word on whether there is an invite to them or if they plan on just showing up and talking, and they plan on reading from the speech Ann was going to give.

Police are still planning for potential protests and violence and are "talking tough" about 0% for violence and disruption tomorrow and plan to have a heavy presence on campus. They have apparently also notified other police agencies to be prepared to assist if things get crazy.

Hmmm. Maybe tomorrow will be popcorn worthy after all.

Tomorrow is an excellent opportunity for the "progressive" activists to demonstrate through their civilized actions that they really believe in what they preach about tolerance and peaceful dialogues, and not...
love-trumps-hate-2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Bernie Sanders that these people show intellectual inferiority by shutting down speeches.

Tomorrow is an excellent opportunity for the "progressive" activists to demonstrate through their civilized actions that they really believe in what they preach about tolerance and peaceful dialogues, and not...
love-trumps-hate-2.jpg
Which one do you think is more likely.

Ann Coulter controversy tests Berkeley's free speech credentials
By Eliott C. McLaughlin | April 27, 2017

170427113211-03-coulter-berkeley-free-speech-exlarge-169.jpg

They don't call it "Bezerkeley" without reason. Students have gotten rowdy here for decades, and the school's history of protest and political activity has sparked tangible change across the nation -- especially in the realm of free speech.

"When something related to free speech happens here, it gets the attention of the national press," said Robert Price, the associate vice chancellor for research, who has been teaching at Berkeley since 1970.

But the political science professor is disturbed by what he feels is an aversion to the free exchange of ideas, which flouts the victories for which so many in the free speech movement of the 1960s fought and sacrificed.

Students back then appreciated that universities were supposed to make them uncomfortable, he said. They engaged in heated debates in Sproul Plaza. Price called it a "feast of intellectual combat," and no topic was off limits. Even Communists could be found in the plaza arguing among themselves -- Maoism versus Stalinism and so on.

Knowing this history firsthand, Price finds it disturbing that some students today want safe spaces and trigger warnings to fend off speech they find objectionable.

"To say it violates the First Amendment is true, but the threat is larger than that. If (students) believe something strongly, that belief ought to be embedded in something they can defend intellectually, and you only get that if you're challenged," he said.

"If you're so psychologically weak that the expression of ideas is going to traumatize you, you shouldn't be at a university."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/us/berkeley-ann-coulter-free-speech/index.html

Last edited:
Good for the ACLU on this one for trying to protect freedom of speech even though I don't agree with them on many issues.

Good for the ACLU on this one for trying to protect freedom of speech even though I don't agree with them on many issues.
Their entire history is one of defending the unpopular, especially wrt free speech issues

Congrats on doing the absolute bare-minimum expected of anyone with a brain and denouncing domestic terrorist groups like Anti-FA

It should be interesting over there tonight.
Will the cops go after the antifa when they riot and attack innocents?
Cause you know antifa is gonna come over there to attack.

Their entire history is one of defending the unpopular, especially wrt free speech issues
And they should defend freedom of speech! Defending DEVIANT SEX IN PUBLIC BATHROOMS as a “privacy right” is not something that I will support them on though.

Them protestors must not know she got a thing for dark meat.

Otherwise they'd know she is a troll playing a role for money who also goes home and catches that DY-NO-MIIIIIIIIITE from JJ.
The Boondocks did an amazing episode on her.

I...fucks with these.. Crab Cakes!

I'm not in the anti-ACLU crowd, but this is exactly why we have an ACLU. I've given money to them in the past, and I fully support what they're doing here. The most repugnant, dumbest speech is the speech that needs protecting.

Other than the ACLUs complete disregard for the 2nd they've done good work in the name of liberty.

I'm not in the anti-ACLU crowd, but this is exactly why we have an ACLU. I've given money to them in the past, and I fully support what they're doing here. The most repugnant, dumbest speech is the speech that needs protecting.

I donate every year. And that's on a working class income. What's your excuse snowflake?

And they should defend freedom of speech! Defending DEVIANT SEX IN PUBLIC BATHROOMS as a “privacy right” is not something that I will support them on though.
Ya know, I don't think they're supporting that

Just a suggestion: Just because the fascists and anarchists who sets Berkeley on fire are calling themselves "antifascists" doesn't mean everyone else should indulge their self-gratification.

If you guys are going to refer to the anti free speech thugs as "antifas" like they wants you to, I suggest you add "self-proclaimed" on front of it.

Back